Coil cotton

mike.dunning.370

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Is there any cotton that can thread easily. I am having trouble threading the cotton. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thank you

Maxedout

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm really liking this cotton.
$_103.JPG

$_57.JPG

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Japanese cotton as shown above ^ is quite keen to move through a coil...as is rayon.

EthelMaltol

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You want to make sure your hands are very clean, free of oils. Your cotton needs to be rolled, one end to a point. If it is too pointy, cut off some of the point. Any cotton should do. Once you have it started, if it still wont go through, you are using too much! If the coils choke it, it will not wick properly. You want it to touch the coil, but not be squeezed. The smaller the hole in the coil, the harder this is to do. I found that getting just the right amount of cotton can be a bit tricky, especially in tanks. If you buy cotton that is in a pad, it might be easier to judge as you will consistently cut a certain sized piece.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The pad style also has a bit more stiffness to it due to the top and bottom layers. Much easier to get started.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You want to make sure your hands are very clean, free of oils. Your cotton needs to be rolled, one end to a point. If it is too pointy, cut off some of the point. Any cotton should do. Once you have it started, if it still wont go through, you are using too much! If the coils choke it, it will not wick properly. You want it to touch the coil, but not be squeezed. The smaller the hole in the coil, the harder this is to do. I found that getting just the right amount of cotton can be a bit tricky, especially in tanks. If you buy cotton that is in a pad, it might be easier to judge as you will consistently cut a certain sized piece.

That makes a big difference actually , i had a hell of a time threading stuff through coils at first as well and i couldn't figure out why , when i put on a pair of readers i knew why lol.

Man getting old sucks big time .

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I do as Ethel said, but also use a pair of tweezers to help grab the end on the other side and do the initial pulling...helps a lot.

If the coil is large enough, you can use a piece of thin wire or such as a "needle" and pull a doubled-over piece of wick through that way too.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I do as Ethel said, but also use a pair of tweezers to help grab the end on the other side and do the initial pulling...helps a lot.

If the coil is large enough, you can use a piece of thin wire or such as a "needle" and pull a doubled-over piece of wick through that way too.

If the coils large enough getting cotton through it is absolute cake , i use the method you describe for Silica at times though.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

VU Sponsors