Become a Patron!

Coil Diameter

I've been searching online for a good explanation, but have yet to find one. How does the size of your coil winds actually affect your ohms/heat/coil heat-up-time ?

JXN

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It doesn't. The same length of wire stays the same no matter how many or how large you loop it.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
The difference would be in the wicking, and how quickly the juice can be "transported" to the coil(s). Therefore, I'm using 2.5 mm or 3 mm IDs for my coils, usually in a 0.3Ohm range.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Bigger coils will have higher resistance, because you'll use more wire to wrap them - 6 wraps of wire around a 3 mm inner diameter would use more wire than 6 wraps of the same wire around a 2 mm ID. You'd need to deliver more power to heat a higher-resistance coil in the same time you'd heat a lower-resistance one.

As others have said, bigger coils are becoming preferred as regulated mods become de rigeur because they allow for better wicking. Also, more surface area on a higher-ohm coil means more space for juice to vaporize.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I used to use micro coils at 1/16, but now I generally make them 3mm simply because today's subohm tanks need a lot of wick!

Jack Merridew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think I need bigger coils. I've been using blue screwdrivers to build mine, but I've been having a hard time with wicking lately. Is there something I could use to get 3mm coils?

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A 3mm Drill Bit, or get a coilmaster coil winding tool with sizes from 1 mm for Dragon coils, to 4mm for macro coils.

GrayVaper

Drips in Public
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Go to a coil calculator such as the one on Steamengine.org. Play with the numbers a bit. You can do metric or standard , change wire size, etc. You'll get a feel for it after awhile.

CloudySkies

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've found that I can get the same production and flavor on 3mm coils and 2mm coils running the same resistance, the difference is that 3mm coils are more tolerant if you don't wick them perfectly. I build larger diameter coils simply because I don't always have the time to struggle with the perfect amount of cotton in my smaller diameter builds.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I used to use micro coils at 1/16, but now I generally make them 3mm simply because today's subohm tanks need a lot of wick!
Depending on the tank, I prefer a 2.5mm ID coil. The 3mm coil might restrict the airflow, e. g. in a Kanger Subohm RBA.

VU Sponsors