Become a Patron!

Coil heating too hot at .35 ohm.

Davidl41

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My coil I made read .35 24 guage kanthal heats up too hot that it gives me a burnt taste once ever 3 or 4 hits. It was at 4.5 volts full battery. I've read that sigelei 150 tc has a problem with the chip over heating the coil. At .55 and up its totally fine.

What could I do to vape at .3 or .4 on my mod. Is the temp control the fix im looking for or is there something im doing wrong thats common for .3, .4.

Davidl41

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks whiskey.

I tucked the cotton under the coil on both sides and brought the cotton higher so it doesnt touch the cotton. So far its working better.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Sounds like a wicking problem. What is the inner diameter (ID) of your coil? 2.5-3 mm is a good ID. In addition, the length of the wick could be the problem as well. The wick should just touch the deck. It also improves the airflow. The airflow holes hight should be at least at the center of the coils.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My coil I made read .35 24 guage kanthal heats up too hot that it gives me a burnt taste once ever 3 or 4 hits. It was at 4.5 volts full battery. I've read that sigelei 150 tc has a problem with the chip over heating the coil. At .55 and up its totally fine.

What could I do to vape at .3 or .4 on my mod. Is the temp control the fix im looking for or is there something im doing wrong thats common for .3, .4.

So your using a Sigelei 150 TC with Kanthal at 0.35 ohms. Need a bit more info here. What atty, how many coils and how many watts did you set?

Also, what does "It was at 4.5 volts full battery" mean?

Davidl41

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
royal hunter rda
24 guage 6 wraps 2.5mm to 3mm
30-40 watts set at 4.5 volts
full battery

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks David :). You're using a variable wattage mod so you're setting watts (power) which will stay the same no matter what your resistance is. Battery voltage doesn't matter either. The mod will adjust its voltage output to keep the watts you set for the resistance of the atty.

I ran your numbers through the Steam Engine calculator. You said "6 wraps 2.5mm to 3mm" and neither a single coil or dual coils at 24 gauge will make 6 wraps on a 2.5-3 mm pin. Ar you using single or dual coils and what is out in your numbers?

Davidl41

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My mistake I changed out the coil and read the wrong coil. I think it was 4 wraps 3.5mm? At this point im just guessing..

But its giving me dry hits 50 percent of the time even on newly wicked cotton,newly dripped with juice. Thick cotton.

Il just keep playing around with it till I get it.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK, that works and also shows me why you're getting burnt hits. Here's a single 24 gauge 0.35 ohm coil with an ID of 3mm modeled in Steam Engine at 40 watts. Check the heat flux on the results box on the right side. 505 mW/mm² (miliwatts per square mm of coil surface area) is too high and will easily burn juice even with good wicking and air flow. Reduce the 40 watts to 30 watts and the heat flux goes down to 378. I've vaped that high in a Mutation X ver 1 and been able to not burn juice but it is a warm vape.

Put the heat flux watts back to 40, change the resistance to 0.5 ohms and you get more coil wraps and the heat flux goes to 353 which should vape warm at 40 watts without burning juice.

You can also model this rda with dual coils which I like to use and these rdas were really designed for. Dual coil 24 gauge at 0.2 ohms gives you a heat flux of 221 at 40 watts which will be a cool vape and if you turn the power up to 60 watts it goes to 331 which will not burn juice, just make more flavor, vapor and heat.

Hope that helps.

Davidl41

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
400-450 mw/mm2 is the highest I want to heat it?

Appreciate the help

VU Sponsors