Become a Patron!

Coil ID question

Hey everyone, brand new coil builder here. I’ve done 2 coils out of pre made Kanthal fused Clapton wire and a screwdriver. The first one opened up to larger than I wound it. I read about heating the wire beforehand to take some spring out of it, and the second coil was much better. Do people use a smaller mandrel than the finished ID to compensate?(say 2.5mm to make a 3mm ID?) Or do I need to do a better job preheating the wire?

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Usually don't heat my wire. But as I wrap I use a bend, pull kinda thing. When coiling pull it tight then bend over the screwdriver. As I'm coming back up I pull to keep it tight.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
As a veteran coil builder that builds and sells coils, I can assure you that the little bit of spring back on your wraps is very negligible. If it throws your Ohm's Law calculations off a bit, add a millimeter or two to your leg length input, and you're good to go. Also, consider learning to make your own wire, as that premade wire is consistently unreliable due to the machine spinning process faults and outright failure.
c5a37d99284dcabe6a97072934a475b4.jpg

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/wts-wtt-aspex-performance-coils.434798/

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Wire tension stops spring back or coil ID opening up. At least in my limited experience because I don't have the time or energy to be screwing around with wire.

Should have thought about that before I bought the hundreds of feet of stuff I have in stock. :vino:

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey everyone, brand new coil builder here. I’ve done 2 coils out of pre made Kanthal fused Clapton wire and a screwdriver. The first one opened up to larger than I wound it. I read about heating the wire beforehand to take some spring out of it, and the second coil was much better. Do people use a smaller mandrel than the finished ID to compensate?(say 2.5mm to make a 3mm ID?) Or do I need to do a better job preheating the wire?
When you run into spring-back, drop down a half-size - works fine, less fighting.

VU Sponsors