Become a Patron!

Coil Killer Remedy?

Real Extract in Seattle

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I vape organic juices exclusively, mostly tobacco extracts. I accept the fact that they are "coil killers" compared to synthetic flavored juices so I change my wick and coil often.
I am however, interested in an easily cleaned coil with a longer wick life. The ceramic wick appears to have some potential.
I just ordered a CeraVape tank and am hopeful that this will prove to be a good tank with a long life wick.
If the wick can be easily cleaned as claimed and the coil lasts longer it should be useful for those of us that vape organic juice.
We will see...
Anybody have any experience with these Ceravape atomizers?
If anybody else is interested I will be happy to report here once it arrives and I've had time to test it.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hi Evan. I use rebuildlables like RDA's and RTA's.
If this ceramic coil is cleanable/rebuildable, this may work. I haven't heard of nor seen one that is serviceable. I only know of throw away type coils.

From what I have heard about ceramic for wicking, it gets clogged up faster than cotton.

I would definitely be interested in your findings with this coil.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
well, I don't have any experince with ceravape, though they intrest me as well....I do have experince with ceramic wicks the fc-2000 in gennys and with NETS.....the ceravape doesn't really help all that much because is is a tube of ceramic with a wire coil around it just like a fc-2000, and the result will be that the wick maybe alright but the coil will still get gunked up, and rebuilding those coil heads is no time saver....personally I have never found dry burning a wire coil as a satisfying solution....
There are a couple of ceramic tanks though that might work alot better...one doesn't wrap the wire around the ceramic but just heats up the ceramic itself, so that the ceramic becomes a heating element insted of the wire around a wick, this ceramic heating element has cotton wrapped around it somewhat like a carto with a ceramic heating element.....now the ceramic might get gunked but you can remove the cotton and dry burn the ceramic element and rewrap with cotton.....the other is the aetlus tank ...not sure if that is the right spelling...again this is a ceramic that has the wires inside the ceramic which turns the ceramic into a heating element and the wires never touch juice....again with cotton wrapped around it like the old vaping doughnuts..... both of these the ceramic is not the wick...the cotton is the wick.....there are issues about dry burning some ceramics...it will force the ceramic to crack, or undermine the bond holding the ceramic grains together.....still looking at the target tank by vaperosso it might be a good solution.....personally I think squonking maybe the easist way to vape NETs...easy to get at the coil and wick easy to dry burn coil and replace wick...I think ceramics are going to really skyrocket soon...

In short any system that uses a ceramic wick and a wire coil is no improvement....better is a systen that uses a ceramic heating element and a cotton wick. or even better would be a ceramic element that would act as a wick and an element.at the same time....

Last edited:

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm curious, how do they kill your coils more then synthetic juices?

I mean, I *don't* vape pure organic stuff and I have to change my cotton and dry burn once or twice a week.
It's pretty common for most people who drip actually. And with regular dry burning and cleaning my coils, I can use the coils for 6 months.

Real Extract in Seattle

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I mean, I *don't* vape pure organic stuff and I have to change my cotton and dry burn once or twice a week.
It's pretty common for most people who drip actually. And with regular dry burning and cleaning my coils, I can use the coils for 6 months.
I only use mineral wicks - Eko-Wool actually. I broke out in hives with rayon years ago and will never use organic wicks again. The Eko-Wool is mineral fiber woven into a tube. It really isn't practical to feed it into a coil - it needs the coil built around the wick to get the right compression on the wick (not to tight or too loose). So when I need a new wick I have to wrap a new coil. No big deal, it is just a minor inconvenience.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Because NETs have more "gunk" in them. Evan produces some extremely clean stuff, but the microscopic stuff just clogs wicks faster and you get "gunk" on your coils A LOT faster.

Nets are not a chemical compound like synthetic flavors. So there is micro bits in them that are the flavoring.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

no offense, but some people just have a better palatte...they are just born that way...taste is subjective, but the ability to detect taste is not subjective some people have better pallates that is why some people get paid to be proffesional tasters and other people eat at Mc donalds, and everything in between....NET juices are extracted from tobacco leaf and in the process they extract very fine particulates of organic matter along with waxes and in some cases oils if they are extracted with alcohol...the finer you filter a NET juice you trade of clarity for flavor it's a blancing act.....when you heat the NETs they get gunked with the organic matter.....and if you have a good palatte it doesn't take long for the vape to taste burnt....and alot of people can tell the diffrence between a new coil and one that has been dry burned...

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have yet to experiment with ss mesh wicks, but that was the first thing I thought of. I'm sure @pulsevape could enlighten us on the matter. Seems like you could just rinse and dry burn the wick and wire real quick and be vaping a clean build with little to no fiddling. Just a thought.

Real Extract in Seattle

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
....personally I have never found dry burning a wire coil as a satisfying solution....
...In short any system that uses a ceramic wick and a wire coil is no improvement....better is a system that uses a ceramic heating element and a cotton wick. or even better would be a ceramic element that would act as a wick and an element.at the same time....

I think you are close to the truth of it. I too haven't found burning off the wick particularly desirable as trapped carbon within the wick restricts flow to some degree, sometimes significantly, and it changes the taste.
Well, no matter how the testing of the ceramic tube turns out, I will do whatever I have to do to have a clean NET vape. I change my wick and coil every other day in my Kayfun and Russian tank. The flavor is worth the trouble.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have yet to experiment with ss mesh wicks, but that was the first thing I thought of. I'm sure @pulsevape could enlighten us on the matter. Seems like you could just rinse and dry burn the wick and wire real quick and be vaping a clean build with little to no fiddling. Just a thought.
I wish....the face of the wire that touches a ss mesh wick you can't really clean through dry burning....if you take a standard genny build and dry burn the fuck out of it, then take the wick and coil out...when you unwrap the coil it will still be full of gunk on the face touching the ss mesh....some people dry burn then heat the coil and wick and douse it in water then dry burn again...it is a big improvement, but it is still dirty...though I don't use cotton I would think the best way to vape NETs is with a squonker...pop the cap off..pull out the wick...dry burn the coil...pop in a new wick.....you're off...personally I've always used ss mesh with NETs...

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think you are close to the truth of it. I too haven't found burning off the wick particularly desirable as trapped carbon within the wick restricts flow to some degree, sometimes significantly, and it changes the taste.
Well, no matter how the testing of the ceramic tube turns out, I will do whatever I have to do to have a clean NET vape. I change my wick and coil every other day in my Kayfun and Russian tank. The flavor is worth the trouble.
I hear you...that's why despite all the shit I get thrown at me ...I still vape gennys. flavor is worth the trouble.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Erm, I understand about the taste difference etc.
But still don't see why the coils need to be replaced, even if they gunk up faster.
Wicks, of course can be changed, but what kills the coil and makes it need replacement instead of just dry burning it?

As for 'faster', how fast? I mean, this RDA was after just one week of non-organic stuff while I was on the road.
Disgustingly dirty and yes, it tasted bad, but the coils are good as new after pulling the cotton and doing a dry burn.
IMG_1720.JPG

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Erm, I understand about the taste difference etc.
But still don't see why the coils need to be replaced, even if they gunk up faster.
Wicks, of course can be changed, but what kills the coil and makes it need replacement instead of just dry burning it?

As for 'faster', how fast? I mean, this RDA was after just one week of non-organic stuff while I was on the road.
Disgustingly dirty, but the coils are good as new after pulling the cotton and doing a dry burn.
View attachment 40129
some NET vapers trash their wicks and dry burn their coils twice a day.....some once a day....and real in seattle rebuilds everything every other day....if I vape NETs that's about my limit as well....personally after pulling a ss mesh wick, torching the wick clean dry burning the coil......it doesn't take me all that much longer to just rebuild the whole fucking thing and the flavor is much much better.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I wish....the face of the wire that touches a ss mesh wick you can't really clean through dry burning....if you take a standard genny build and dry burn the fuck out of it, then take the wick and coil out...when you unwrap the coil it will still be full of gunk on the face touching the ss mesh....some people dry burn then heat the coil and wick and douse it in water then dry burn again...it is a big improvement, but it is still dirty...though I don't use cotton I would think the best way to vape NETs is with a squonker...pop the cap off..pull out the wick...dry burn the coil...pop in a new wick.....you're off...personally I've always used ss mesh with NETs...
Good info. Thanks for replying.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
some NET vapers trash their wicks and dry burn their coils twice a day.....some once a day....and real in seattle rebuilds everything every other day....if I vape NETs that's about my limit as well....personally after pulling a ss mesh wick, torching the wick clean dry burning the coil......it doesn't take me all that much longer to just rebuild the whole fucking thing and the flavor is much much better.

Gotcha.
Thanks for the details about it :)

James

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I only use mineral wicks - Eko-Wool actually. I broke out in hives with rayon years ago and will never use organic wicks again. The Eko-Wool is mineral fiber woven into a tube. It really isn't practical to feed it into a coil - it needs the coil built around the wick to get the right compression on the wick (not to tight or too loose). So when I need a new wick I have to wrap a new coil. No big deal, it is just a minor inconvenience.

We have Eko-Wool at work and it is called " Rock Wool " by some . The people that work with it , Insulators , tell me that it can be as bad as
what it is replaceing . Asbestos . Thay tell me if it dry heats it does the same thing . Just a " bit " larger splinters .

Real Extract in Seattle

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We have Eko-Wool at work and it is called " Rock Wool " by some . The people that work with it , Insulators , tell me that it can be as bad as
what it is replaceing . Asbestos . Thay tell me if it dry heats it does the same thing . Just a " bit " larger splinters .

Uhhh..Well, actually the theoretical glass particle is A LOT bigger than the asbestos particulate. (I happen to be a certified asbestos supervisor among other things...). One thing I have noticed is that if you vape you worry much. Everything we "know" was told us by somebody else, usually on the Internet. There is no substitute for doing your own homework as much as possible.

James

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Everything we "know" was told us by somebody else, usually on the Internet. There is no substitute for doing your own homework as much as possible.

Well now . I have worked on Abatement jobs and removed miles of Asbestos , I have also worked with a lot of different types of its replacement .
I just felt you should know what I have seen . That when dried out and heated thay look and act a lot alike .

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not sure if you make your own net juice or buy it but I tried doodlebug's net with a triton non-rebuildable coil for almost a week straight and it's still clean. Ran out and pulled it to be used again when I re-up on tobacco juice.

Sounds like because of your issue with organic wick you are using eco and that's it so I have no recommendation of something better but maybe doodlebug's juice can extend the rebuilding intervals of what you're using now.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Not sure if you make your own net juice or buy it but I tried doodlebug's net with a triton non-rebuildable coil for almost a week straight and it's still clean. Ran out and pulled it to be used again when I re-up on tobacco juice.

Sounds like because of your issue with organic wick you are using eco and that's it so I have no recommendation of something better but maybe doodlebug's juice can extend the rebuilding intervals of what you're using now.
Lol!
Evan is a NET tobacco manufacture.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ah, guess he does mix his own and probably won't be trying doodlebug's any time soon either :oops:

Makes sense with his handle... that I didn't pay attention to

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ah, guess he does mix his own and probably won't be trying doodlebug's any time soon either :oops:

Makes sense with his handle... that I didn't pay attention to
You ought to try HIS juice. His extracts are awesome.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I may, been over 5 years since I have vaped a tobacco and none were good. Few weeks ago I tried a net and found I really liked it in the morning with a cup of joe than swap tanks to a dessert for the rest of the day.

I may have to try a few nets out for that just woke up and want a stogie feeling.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know, right... kind of twisted. Enjoying a stinky most first thing in the mornin. But that was the best smoke of the day so makes sense that tobacco vape in the AM was sooooo good :D

Real Extract in Seattle

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ceravape Hygeia Update:
I tried out the Ceravape models as they appeared to hold some potential. The ceramic tube wick wrapped with wire was ok. It was smooth tasting and even temperature.
The tank had to be dissembled to fill and the seals stuck to the glass so well it became obvious that I had better have some spares around. I don't like buying pre-made coils either ($5). They probably do last longer before recoiling but I never got that far down the road.
Overall, I think I'll stick with my Russian tank and wrap my coils.
910231121512.jpg

VU Sponsors