Become a Patron!

Coil life expectancy

MatthewCJ3

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey, everyone!

Thank you to everyone who replies and/or views my post.

I have a Joyetech Ego AIO and I bought a 5pk of the 1.5ohm coils. This is the first one I used in it and it only lasted me 4 days. Is all the life I can expect from this coil? Will the .5ohm last longer? I asked that because I ready Joyetech’s website that the subohms are the compatible ones, is this correct?

MatthewCJ3

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That is probably the most honest answer. I figure if I can get about 4 days a coil, vape 60ml/mo, then I’ll just be spending $30 more a month than $45/mo on tobacco($70 when I need papers and a new roller).

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That is probably the most honest answer. I figure if I can get about 4 days a coil, vape 60ml/mo, then I’ll just be spending $30 more a month than $45/mo on tobacco($70 when I need papers and a new roller).
Start building your own
  • Coils last Months, not days
  • Better flavor
  • Better Vape
  • Costs less than a penny a coil
It's not difficult, pretty damn easy actually. Let me put it into perspective, how difficult is it to wrap wire around a screwdriver or coil jig, seriously. All it takes is watching a few YouTubes, asking a few questions and a little bit of practice.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Coil life depends on proper priming, ramping up the wattage, e-Liquid and how much you pump through it. Also the type of e-Liquid vaped plays another important factor in how long a coil lasts. And these are only the things I can think of right at the moment! I have had an average life of a Baby Beast average 5K puffs but I have fried an Aspire BVC in one hour because I did not notice I let it run too low. Some coils/tanks do not give good life if you run it below 1/2 a tank. Good luck and happy vaping!

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Coil life depends on proper priming, ramping up the wattage, e-Liquid and how much you pump through it. Also the type of e-Liquid vaped plays another important factor in how long a coil lasts. And these are only the things I can think of right at the moment! I have had an average life of a Baby Beast average 5K puffs but I have fried an Aspire BVC in one hour because I did not notice I let it run too low. Some coils/tanks do not give good life if you run it below 1/2 a tank. Good luck and happy vaping!
All true only I would say juice has the largest factor. Sugar, high VG and flavors like Cinnamon are coil killers.

IMO factory coils are obscenely over priced.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
No the main reason a coil doesn't last is firing it at too high a wattage. Just because they say X Watts doesn't mean it will last as I fire most of my coils 20-25% less than the lowest recommended wattage.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Also I vape only High or Max VG all the time and get excellent coil life.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Learn to build.... then instead of throwing away perfectly good coils... because the wick is dirty... you change the wick and Vape On.

I find my DIY juices run cleaner than the bought stuff I get.

Gotta figure coilhead manufacturers don't really want the heads lasting very long.... they would go broke.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sure recommend a new vaper should start building coils and confuse them even more.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I too will contribute to confusing someone new. Learning to build your own coils really pays for itself. This morning I'm vaping on a coil that I know is at least three months old. It's a Nichrome 80 fused Clapton hitting around 0.25 - 0.30 Ω, 5 wraps around a 3 mm Inner Diameter coil jig tool.

It is in an RDA called a Gorge. This RDA is a single coil only setup. Placing a coil into the deck on a Gorge takes just a few minutes to get the hang of doing. Even so it is one of those which will probably take a lifetime to master.

Still, I rather enjoy having a coil that has gone for three months. It might need a little touch up cleaning here after while. I'll rinse it off under the tap, then dry fire until the coil glows. Put some Muji cotton back through it and after a squonk or two, ready to go again.

I use heavy VG (vegetable glycerin) in vaping, mainly because to me it does good for flavors. That might sound contrary to many who advocate PG (polypropylene glycerol) as carrying flavors better, so what? For me it works out the opposite way. The point though is I do know VG can make a coil get kind of gunked up a bit more and more quickly. I just rinse it off every now and then and all is good.

Eventually the coil will get into a stage of where rinsing it off won't help. Not a big deal, I got 250 ft spools of NiChrome 80 in 28 and 30 awg. Bought each for around $6 a spool. I can build another fused Clapton if I want, or maybe just go single strand of 28 awg wire. I could even use some Stainless Steel wire if I had it on hand, or Kanthal A1. Figure I'll get well over two to three hundred coils, compare that to $5 for a cheap 5 pack of pre-built coils that might have 1 coil last a week.

Economics isn't the only reason I enjoy building coils either. For me it is a soothing hobby. It's also something I can enjoy as a "I made this" kind of thing. So yeah, watching a few Youtube videos and taking a few minutes to learn the basics can get you hooked. :)

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sure recommend a new vaper should start building coils and confuse them even more.
Then this will really piss you off.....

I think all new vapers.. should start with the cigalikes. Then their first Mod Vape.... tube mech an atty like a KFL and a roll of 32awg wire. With a clearo like a Nautilus as adv or backup. The mech could be replaced with a sub 30 watt regulated box.... if user is immature.

If you can't build get a decent vape at 1ohm or higher you have no business building at 1 ohm or lower or for series mods.

Problem with vaping today is it about wattage... rather than efficient generation and distribution of heat.

Too many new vaper learned too smoke on a xxxx. IMO.

Kinda like it goods to know how to ride a bike before you get a motocycle.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
6a2.jpg

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It's simple, I sure wish I started rebuilding right after I started instead of waiting months.

Subjectivity is a major component of vaping. Although I started building Clapton Coils right out of the gate I wouldn't recommend building to someone inquiring about problems with stock coils.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Subjectivity is a major component of vaping. Although I started building Clapton Coils right out of the gate I wouldn't recommend building to someone inquiring about problems with stock coils.
Disagree, problem with factory coils is they're factory coils and suggesting building your own is a perfect solution.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Disagree, problem with factory coils is they're factory coils and suggesting building your own is a perfect solution.

We will have to agree to disagree because if you can't make stock coils work for you then I do not suggest building. I find most problems with factory coils people have is from incorrect usage and not the coils themselves. There is a thread from a very advanced user on here of his 3rd degree burns which he posted to try and help others. Shit Happens you know?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We will have to agree to disagree because if you can't make stock coils work for you then I do not suggest building. I find most problems with factory coils people have is from incorrect usage and not the coils themselves. There is a thread from a very advanced user on here of his 3rd degree burns which he posted to try and help others. Shit Happens you know?

Apples and bowling pins, that thread was about him throwing his mech mod into his bed and cooking his flesh because he has no feeling in his legs.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Shit happens is not apples and oranges if you can't make stock coils work you shouldn't be building. Point was advanced user got hurt.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Shit happens is not apples and oranges if you can't make stock coils work you shouldn't be building. Point was advanced user got hurt.
Well shit also happens with factory coils and there are a lot of issues with shitty factory coils because of shitty manufacturing. Besides nothing in their post indicates they don't have the ability to do simple tasks, building your own coils is. You're making too many assumptions, the reason why I got into building is because someone let me know how simple it is and suggested I try. To this day I thank them for suggesting it to me.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well shit also happens with factory coils and there are a lot of issues with shitty factory coils because of shitty manufacturing. Besides nothing in their post indicates they don't have the ability to do simple tasks, building your own coils is. You're making too many assumptions, the reason why I got into building is because someone let me know how simple it is and suggested I try. To this day I thank them for suggesting it to me.

Well 30 posts and the gear they list suggests to me they are a beginner. I do not argue how simple building is but doing it safely even with a regulated MOD requires more than just understanding how to wind some wire hit the fire button.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well 30 posts and the gear they list suggests to me they are a beginner. I do not argue how simple building is but doing it safely even with a regulated MOD requires more than just understanding how to wind some wire hit the fire button.
Perspective check, it's not a Mech's we're talking about here, it's coil building with regulated mods. You're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over reacting.

Like I said I myself wish someone had suggested to me early on within the first couple of months to look into rebuilding.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You are still recommending building coils to a person using an AIO which is really out of left field. Do they even make an RBA for those starter kits?

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You are still recommending building coils to a person using an AIO which is really out of left field. Do they even make an RBA for those starter kits?
Imo.... if you want to learn to build in assumed safety do it for or with a regulated mod... if you want to learn to do safe builds that work.... use a mech.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nearly every factory coil thread has a few asshats, usually the same asshats, that come in and derail the thread with their canned "just build your own" response. Their way is the only right way. And they never address the factory coil question.

Anyway, coil life is determined by a few factors. The juice your using and wattage being the biggest factors when all else is equal(the coils are the same).

I vape on both factory coils and DIY. I use mostly factory coils because who the hell wants to constantly fiddle fuck around with their vape? I don't.

I mostly use factory coils for my juices that are not prone to clog wicks. Clogged wicks and gunky coils from sweet and creamy juices puts an end to factory coils quicker. I build coils for my really sweet and/or creamy juices. When they clog and get gunky, I may not rewick for days and just vape on my factory coils because I have better things to do than fuck with my vape. When I get around to it, I rewick. Otherwise I just go about my business with my factory coils and vape away, changing the coil if I need to. My factory coils can last a month or more as I restrict which juices I use in them.

So, the answer to the OP's question, about factory coils, is the .5 OHM coil may not give you longer coil life if you are vaping the same juice with them at a comparable wattage to the other coils.

And for the record, the standard "It's cheaper" argument is retarded. Sometimes I take my cars to a mechanic to have an issue fixed rather than do it myself even though I'm capable just because I'd rather spend a little money than spend my time fucking with it.

DIY is good for those that can and want to. It's not the fucking only way to go.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Imo.... if you want to learn to build in assumed safety do it for or with a regulated mod... if you want to learn to do safe builds that work.... use a mech.

Recommending Mechs to a member who is possibly a new user is exposing them to possible dangerous situations. Sure Mechs can be used safely but do you know if this user has the knowledge or skills? I would rather recommend being Safe instead of Sorry! That is what they hear when shit goes wrong I bet.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your arguement assumes there is a coilhead made that fits your vape requirements...... now i guess you could keep buying atties till you find with coils that give you satifaction.... or you could find one atty then spend a few dollars and multiple builds to do the same. For me a few hours twisting wire in front of the TV. Makes more sence than a shelf full of gear I don't use.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Your arguement assumes there is a coilhead made that fits your vape requirements...... now i guess you could keep buying atties till you find with coils that give you satifaction.... or you could find one atty then spend a few dollars and multiple builds to do the same. For me a few hours twisting wire in front of the TV. Makes more sence than a shelf full of gear I don't use.

Maybe I am an informed shopper or just made great buys but I have never bought any tank I did not like or do not still use. Maybe when I first got into vaping I received good information? The guy at the vape shop does advise customers towards the right equipment for their vaping style or knowledge. Still use the TC40W and Nautilus Mini he sold me 3 years later.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

And your argument assumes, no, makes an argument the OP is not presenting. The OP did not complain about the satisfaction of his vape. Just the coil life.;)

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nearly every factory coil thread has a few asshats, usually the same asshats, that come in and derail the thread with their canned "just build your own" response. Their way is the only right way. And they never address the factory coil question.

Anyway, coil life is determined by a few factors. The juice your using and wattage being the biggest factors when all else is equal(the coils are the same).

I vape on both factory coils and DIY. I use mostly factory coils because who the hell wants to constantly fiddle fuck around with their vape? I don't.

I mostly use factory coils for my juices that are not prone to clog wicks. Clogged wicks and gunky coils from sweet and creamy juices puts an end to factory coils quicker. I build coils for my really sweet and/or creamy juices. When they clog and get gunky, I may not rewick for days and just vape on my factory coils because I have better things to do than fuck with my vape. When I get around to it, I rewick. Otherwise I just go about my business with my factory coils and vape away, changing the coil if I need to. My factory coils can last a month or more as I restrict which juices I use in them.

So, the answer to the OP's question, about factory coils, is the .5 OHM coil may not give you longer coil life if you are vaping the same juice with them at a comparable wattage to the other coils.

And for the record, the standard "It's cheaper" argument is retarded. Sometimes I take my cars to a mechanic to have an issue fixed rather than do it myself even though I'm capable just because I'd rather spend a little money than spend my time fucking with it.

DIY is good for those that can and want to. It's not the fucking only way to go.

The asshats are the ones that say everyone must stick with x instead of y. There is no one size fits all, it's what ever works for you, but at least listen to a few suggestions, try them and make a decision that fits your own needs.

With the OP's AIO there's not a huge heat factor with the coils IMO it's the type of juice.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And your argument assumes, no, makes an argument the OP is not presenting. The OP did not complain about the satisfaction of his vape. Just the coil life.;)
Yeah we are a bit off subject.... but the main factor in Coil life is wick life..... till more factory coilheads get to be re-wicking able.... the answer to better life is an RBA.

COILs rarely fail....

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The asshats are the ones that say everyone must stick with x instead of y. There is no one size fits all, it's what ever works for you, but at least listen to a few suggestions, try them and make a decision that fits your own needs.

With the OP's AIO there's not a huge heat factor with the coils IMO it's the type of juice.

I must not have been clear, my bad. You are one of the asshats that reply to nearly every factory coil thread and derail it. ;)

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah we are a bit off subject.... but the main factor in Coil life is wick life..... till more factory coilheads get to be re-wicking able.... the answer to better life is an RBA.

COILs rarely fail....

No. The answer to better life for you, is an RBA.

The answer for me was juice and wattage that doesn't clog wick or gunk coils very fast. My Nautilus coils last weeks. My RBA hasn't been used in days because the wick and coil is gunked up and I have better things to do than change it. :p

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Build your own coils they last forever I go months before changing them in some devices get a RBA learn how to rebuild

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I must not have been clear, my bad. You are one of the asshats that reply to nearly every factory coil thread and derail it. ;)
And you're one of the Stool Samples that usually blow shit out of proportion and believe everyone is and idiot the doesn't agree that x is better than y. ;)

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And you're one of the Stool Samples that usually blow shit out of proportion and believe everyone is and idiot the doesn't agree that x is better than y. ;)

Did I miss where you answered either of the OP's questions?

Is all the life I can expect from this coil? Will the .5ohm last longer?

Nope, I didn't miss it because you didn't fucking answer. You have 10 posts in the thread but zero of them answer the OP's question.

So, no. I didn't blow anything out of proportion. You did indeed derail the thread. Asshat.

He can likely get more life out of his coil by changing juice and the .5ohm coil might not last longer than the 1.5. That's what an answer looks like.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's because you didn't like my answer, but that's your SOP, o'well.

But I'm not going to feed your attempt to derail which is your usual MO on threads. You see unlike the disagreement between @SteveS45 and myself where we disagree on some points we keep it civil. Unlike some who like to derail threads by dragging them into the mud with name calling.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's because you didn't like my answer, but that's your SOP, o'well.

But I'm not going to feed your attempt to derail which is your usual MO on threads. You see unlike the disagreement between @SteveS45 and myself where we disagree on some points we keep it civil. Unlike some who like to derail threads by dragging them into the mud with name calling.

I'm derailing the thread by pointing out that you derailed the thread and calling you an asshat for doing it? :giggle:

That's some circular logic at it's best, right there. :kickbutt:

MatthewCJ3

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks everyone for responses. I understand now that running that 1.5ohm on my Joyetech Ego AIO is sufficient, but running the sub ohm is like the it came with. I’m using that now and I’ll see how long that last. If I get 7 days out of it then I’m happy. However, I prefer not to build coils and such because I’m not comfortable with all the dynamics to it such as OHMs Law. Sorry, I want to do it but ultimately decided against it.

In less than 24hrs I’ll be a week without a cigarette. The nicotine salts really do make a difference. I had to cut the 35mg salt in half and now it seems just right.

Thanks again everyone.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks everyone for responses. I understand now that running that 1.5ohm on my Joyetech Ego AIO is sufficient, but running the sub ohm is like the it came with. I’m using that now and I’ll see how long that last. If I get 7 days out of it then I’m happy. However, I prefer not to build coils and such because I’m not comfortable with all the dynamics to it such as OHMs Law. Sorry, I want to do it but ultimately decided against it.

In less than 24hrs I’ll be a week without a cigarette. The nicotine salts really do make a difference. I had to cut the 35mg salt in half and now it seems just right.

Thanks again everyone.
Yeah you'll get longer life out of the 1.5 ohm and you so short into Vaping where you're at IMO is the best for kicking the habit. Subohm is more for later down the line if you so choose. Then again many a Vaper is very satisfied with mouth to lung and stay there. It really comes down to what ever works for you.

MatthewCJ3

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I’m suing Naked 100 American Patriot mixed with a local vape shop’s tobacco flavor. The Naked 100 barely has any taste and what I do taste is coconut and not tobacco. The vape shop’s tobacco is really good; too bad they don’t have their nicotine salt line. I like the .5 sub ohm better though. I’m not new to vaping, I’m giving it, yet, another go.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just retaining a lawyer will cost more than the biggest bottle of Naked 100. :wait::crazy:

VU Sponsors