Become a Patron!

Coil life!

wert

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello.

I read around that some people have coils last 7 days before needing replace my? I've heard of people destroying a coil almost immediately also?

This is far from the experience my partner and I have had?
My first coil lasted me 10 weeks, my partners first coil has lasted 3 months and is still going? Im a heavy vaper and hit the coil hard chain vaping most of the time witch explains why my coil has failed before hers.

I'm using a big baby beast tank with the factory installed coil q2 witch I prefer over the other coils that ship with the beast. I vape a 50/50 mix with no flavour... I started using flavours but found I'm very sensitive to them and I'm sickened by the repetitive taste after a day or two? That's me. I'm content with my high nic 50/50. I am thinking of setting up another beast with a flavour to just pop on and off intermittently and I have a second pen for stealth so I can play with flavour without spoiling my 50/50 nic mix.

I'm wondering if having no flavouring in the mix extends coil life? Or is my experience of coil life similar to others and those who's coils have lasted from 24 hours to a week just bad coils or something?

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haver never had a coil fail or wear out...... diy or purchased.....

The wick is another story.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've had a number of factory coils fail though may be due to the type of coil. Not talking the cartridges for the baby beast, the small ones used in vape pen clearo's that use a thin wire smaller than a human hair for the tiny 2.4 ohm coils. The halo triton coils used to last around a week, 7-10 days (as advertised) then started burning out (no vape, no connection) within 1-3 days.

Diy coils last a lot longer, sometimes they get damaged if tugging an old wick out from a thinner/softer coil (catches and distorts the coil, start over). Mostly it's the wicks that need replaced and a quick pulse of the coil cleans it up. Mostly coils are changed when I want to try something else.

Using 50/50 vg/pg with no flavor has a LOT to do with it. There's no flavor to go bad and no mixing of flavors. Heat can affect flavors, mixing can destroy flavors. Also no sweeteners to gunk up the coil. Some people are more or less picky than others. I've found some flavors do 'ok' mixing, for instance starting with a light flavor and vaping it down in an rta, a slightly stronger different flavor can be added. Maybe starting with a light banana, then moving to a coffee flavor, caramel waffle flavor then to something stronger like a berry flavor. All through the same wick but eventually it gets muddied and tastes like shit. New wick time.

Some flavors just don't play well together and you try adding one to the remainder of another and all flavor is lost. Makes it taste like old chewing gum that should have been spit out 2hrs ago. Just bleh.

Mostly it's the wicks though and while a lot of factory coils can be fussed with and hacked to shove a new coil and wick into them it's usually not worth the trouble. Once a factory wick is gunked the coil/wick combo is tossed not because the coil wire is shot but because it's tainted or spoiled in terms of flavor. Now that I use diy coils they generally last me a couple weeks before I toss them. Not because they're burnt out but because I'd like a fresh coil and when I toss one, I'm out like $0.05-0.10 . I can live with that.

A 10m spool of 26g ss316L is $2.25. Even twisted 2 strand, that's around 16ft, maybe 10-12ft once it's twisted. Being generous and factoring 6" per coil with a lot of waste (generally less than 6"), that's 20-24 coils which works out to $0.10 a coil worst case scenario. 2x 5 day work weeks, I'm out a penny a day.

A factory coil only lasting a day or two I'd consider a bad coil, provided it's due to the coil failing and not bad juice contamination from one flavor to another. It happens, factory coils are mass produced and prone to having bad apples from time to time. Some also have wicking issues due to the way the wick is packed into the coil cartridge, that can cause burnt hits or dry hits, a burnt taste and result in tossing it for a new coil. Something that can be easily remedied with diy wicks/coils. Most of the premade coils I'm finding for the baby beast are $15-17 for a 5 pack, so around $3/coil. More per coil than I spend on diy coil and cotton wicking in 6mo.

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I put a T6 in the Baby about 6 weeks ago, and it just won't die. Clouds are dropping off, but it is not going dry/burnt yet.

VU Sponsors