Become a Patron!

Coil ohm question

Nameste

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey i am very new to building I got a bellus rta I know it's not best but it was dirt cheap so I thought I would play around with it and get used to building coils etc..

Anyway I have successfully built coils for and changed it this morning again my question is before wicking ohm reader and my mod reads it 0.25 which I wanted to get but after wicking it reads 0.32 ohm reader and mod reads same. I mean don't have problem with that ohm but why can't I get it at 0.25?

I used coil calculator website and the app to get 0.25 wrap counted and ID etc..

I have kanthal A1 24awg I used drill bit that 2.38mm 6 wraps it should come up at 0.25 but final ohm is 0.32

What am I missing here?

Thanks

PropperVape

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A lot of factors like ohms not reading correctly, leg lengths, when you wrap the wire it might spring back giving a larger diameter etc....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
A coil calculating website is a good guide, but it is not an ohm reader. Trust what you have in your hand over what is online. Different factors can affect end results.. such as how long did you straighten the coil wire for before wrapping.. did you straighten the wire? How tight are your wraps around the core, how long are the legs, the resistance of your atomizer without the coil, etc etc. 0.07 ohm is not a lot of difference and will work fine. Better to high than to low. (if the coil were below your mods minimium resistance, it wouldnt work)

Tanker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I
Hey i am very new to building I got a bellus rta I know it's not best but it was dirt cheap so I thought I would play around with it and get used to building coils etc..

Anyway I have successfully built coils for and changed it this morning again my question is before wicking ohm reader and my mod reads it 0.25 which I wanted to get but after wicking it reads 0.32 ohm reader and mod reads same. I mean don't have problem with that ohm but why can't I get it at 0.25?

I used coil calculator website and the app to get 0.25 wrap counted and ID etc..

I have kanthal A1 24awg I used drill bit that 2.38mm 6 wraps it should come up at 0.25 but final ohm is 0.32

What am I missing here?

Thanks
I have found that wicking and juice typically increase the resistance a little, usually by about .05+/-. Also A1 Kanthal tends to increase a little after pulsing, more so than Ni80 or 90. I have a 10 wrap, 3mm, 24g dual build in my 13h9h and it comes in at .54 After pulsing and around .6 after I wicked and juiced. That’s around where I wanted to be since I’m using a series mech. I haven’t found an ohm reader that works worth a crap so I use my Vaultmod Heavy Weight V2 and it allows me to start low and pulse my coils slowly.

entropy1049

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Seven hundredths of an ohm is nearly nothing in circuit theory. You’re into the margin of error for most resistance measuring devices. There are ways to more precisely measure your actual sub-ohm resistance, but the practical ways start at about 100USD.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Seven hundredths of an ohm is nearly nothing in circuit theory. You’re into the margin of error for most resistance measuring devices. There are ways to more precisely measure your actual sub-ohm resistance, but the practical ways start at about 100USD.
Dedicated 510 vaping readers can be had for 5 to 25 dollars... Search coil master TAB. but yes a good VOM will run you at least $100 g or Fluke meter.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

entropy1049

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Dedicated 510 vaping readers can be had for 5 to 25 dollars... Search coil master TAB. but yes a good VOM will run you at least $100 g or Fluke meter.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Most VOM/multi meters still read only to the tenth of an ohm, and I don’t have lots of faith in my tab. A good Kelvin bridge milliohm meter can be had for around $90 though. If you’re a frequent builder who likes to get the most out of your batteries, it’s a wise investment.

VU Sponsors