Coil Questionnaire

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hey everyone few questions for you on your vaping journey... there is no right or wrong here just your personal experience so far ;)
Thought it would be good to put this together for budding DIY coil builders

1) What materials have you tried so far?
2) What is you favourite metal?
3) What is you least favourite metal?
4) Do you mix and match on complex builds, if yes why? (If you only use simple then N/A)
5) What is your favourite coil type?
6) What is your favourite inner diameter
7) What do you build towards (clouds, flavour, mix)
8) When making complex coils what are your favourite gauges (Complex for purpose of this thread is more than single wire)

If you want to answer the above questions in one or all of categories below by all means do so, also if you feel your answer changes across categories state that.
To keep it standard for this thread it would be helpful if you state up front the categories for your answers as follows :)

Power wattage mode high watts (>50)
Power wattage mode low watts (=<50)
Temp control
Mech/hybrid mod
Regulated mod
Single coil
Dual or more coils

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I'll start

Answers applicable to the following:

Power wattage mode high wattage
Temp control
Single coil
Dual or more coil
Regulated Mod

1) 316L, Kanthal A1, NI80
2) Kanthal, NI80
3) 316L so far
4) yes to achieve desired resistence and flavour
5) fused clapton so far
6) 2.5mm
7) mix more towards flavour!
8) fav gauges so far are 28 inner core, 38g wrap

Last edited:

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK I'll play
  • Power wattage mode high watts
  • Power wattage mode low watts
  • Temp control
  • Mech/hybrid mod (I'm pretty exclusive with this now days)
  • Regulated mod
  • Single coil
  • Dual or more coils
  • Kanthal
  • NiChrome
  • 304 SS
  • 316L SS
  • 317L SS
  • 321 SS
  • 430 SS
  • 317L
  • 321 SS
4) Do you mix and match on complex builds, if yes why?
  • Tried a number pretty much set with Fused Claptons and micro Fused Claptons as small as 34x2/40. Then some times will go for basic twisted when the build space is really tight.
  • Why? It just works for me
  • 317L SS Fused Clapton
  • Depends on device and what will fit. Anywhere from 2mm - 4mm, it's as simple as that
  • Flavor with a respectable amount of plumage, flavor is priority though

Last edited:

Hydro1

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use.
Temp control
Mech mods for rdas.
Regulated mod for rtas/ tanks.
Single coil,when experimenting with builds.
Dual coils the rest of the time.

Kanthal,ni80,titanium,316 SS.
Kanthal.
Titanium
4) Do you mix and match on complex builds, if yes why? (If you only use simple then N/A)Yes.
When i buy premade or build i like 316 ss inner or kanthal with ni80 outer.
Fused clapton.
Depends on the atty, 2.5-3.5.
Both, usually have a cloud setup and flavor setup.
8) When making complex coils what are your favourite gauges
Not sure if fused claptons qualify here but 26 guage inner kanthal or 316 ss, 34 guage outter ni80.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
1) What materials have you tried so far?.........kanthal nichrome SS Ti Ni
2) What is you favourite metal? Nichrome.. then SS
3) What is you least favourite metal? Ni or Ti
4) Do you mix and match on complex builds, if yes why?............ Yes even on Simple builds. Because I can......
5) What is your favourite coil type?......... Single coil Twisted wire
6) What is your favourite inner diameter....... <3mm
7) What do you build towards (clouds, flavour, mix) Not Smoking........ Battery life....... Flavor......in that order
8) When making complex coils what are your favourite gauges? 28g-32g

Power wattage mode..............low watts <30 for satisfaction... but as many as don't let smoke out of the battery for fun. Unregulated.
Temp control..... learning...prefer VV if truth be known.
Mech mod..... first MOD and current second device is Brass Origin mech with 18500 batts. Is actually a true hybrid mod with an aqua tank or my K3.1...... Don't like 510 hybrids. Don't like using mine in hybrid mode... because atties leak.
Regulated mod....... Pico 75 w/AF firmware
Single coil.......Prefered
Dual or more coils... as many as will fit for fun. Did six tuples in my Kayfun 3.1 once.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ok i am probably going to sound like a dick here, but settling into a 'sweet spot' when there are so many options for wire and different types of coil builds is just a self imposed limitation... i do, however, understand the curiosity and data collection aspect of the question, and when i first started i asked a lot of very similar questions until i came to the point im at now, where i say these things that make me sound like a dick...the circle of life.

for me, these categories are the things that influence all my builds more than anything else. am i building a low or high wattage build? what device will fire it? what atty does it have to fit inside? i vape all over the place in terms of power/devices/atomizers, so i cant just pick a build i like and use it for everything.
Power wattage mode high watts (>50) - the majority of my hardware and builds are in this catergoy
Power wattage mode low watts (=<50) - i have a kayfun 5 and a kf3 mini i dont build under 1 ohm, or run over 30w
Temp control - the hohm wrecker g2 is the only mod i use in tc mode, and tc mode is the only mode i use it in
Mech/hybrid mod - yes. parallel, series, tubes, para-series etc...this is my preferred hardware over regulated mods
Regulated mod - i have two generic regulated mods that i use as beaters when i dont want to risk dropping or otherwise damaging a nice one
Single coil - yup, quite often
Dual or more coils - i only build more than two coils for a laugh or a picture. i havent really found a good quad coil build that i prefer as a daily vape over my regular dual coil builds. its also really hard to make fancier coils like aliens come in at a functional resistance when you start making 4 or more.

ka1, ss316, n80

2) What is your favourite metal?
i cant personally taste the difference enough to choose one over the other, so my reasons to choose one over the other are entirely based on the build im doing (target resistance, build space, coil mass etc)

3) What is your least favourite metal?
never met a metal i didnt like (aside from metalcore)

4) Do you mix and match on complex builds, if yes why? (If you only use simple then N/A)
yeah i do. you can fine tune your vape a lot when you understand how the different metals work together to effect rampup/cool down/coil mass/resistance etc.

i prefer the best coil for whatever atty/target resistance/device/juice i am building at the time (this is where i start to sound like a dick again because there is no right answer here). to partially answer you though, i prefer coils like aliens or anything with 'staple' in the name, if they will fit in the atty and come to a resistance the mod can fire safely and effectively (coil mass vs voltage etc etc). the 'minimum' coil i build is a fused clapton though, no matter the hardware or target resistance. fc is the most versatile and functional coil there is imo.

i prefer the best inner diameter for whatever atty/target resistance/device i am building at the time. inner diameter is just a way to tweak your coil resistance closer to your target resistance. there is no reason to prefer a specific size. as long as it fits in the atty and comes to your target resistance, inner diameter is just a means to an end.

clouds and flavour have never influenced a build i have done. i will learn a new technique/coil and vape it to see if its cloudier or more flavourful, and categorize them in my head for later reference/preference so i can put them in the right atty...but i dont build for flavour or clouds specifically.

i prefer the best gauge for whatever atty/target resistance/device i am building at the time. the gauge of your core wires will determine your builds resistance. you have to choose the right gauge based on that and nothing else. the gauge of your wraps, however, is something you can experiment with. i prefer the smallest wraps that my skill level will allow me to use for the most part...but on a series mod with all that voltage, it can be better to choose a thicker wrap to help cool things down a little. on a tube or parallel box i like to use the smallest wraps i can because ramp up can be an issue at those voltages...but then skill level comes in and i am about 50/50 on being able to make 40g aliens...so i settle into 38 for that one etc etc etc...

in conclusion, there are too many factors to pick a favorite of anything specifically. there are a few different elements of building that only come from experience. once you have that experience, you will begin to answer these questions like a dick :cheers:

edit - to include some actual info that people can try out for themselves, here are a couple different builds for specific setups that i think make a good balance between coil mass/available voltage/performance. they are all fused clapton builds because, imo, its the best coil for anyone but the most diehard builders/masochists/thrill seekers out there. you can get it to be any resistance depending on your core gauge, its barely harder than regular clapton to make, but performs much better. after this, things only get much harder and give less results.

on a tube (or other single battery mech like a squonk box) i like a tiny four or five wrap, 2 to 2.5mm 2x28 kanthal fused claptons, with at most 38 n80 or ss outer wrap (i prefer 40 or 42). shoot for target resistance based on battery, probably from .15 to .2 ohms. for single coil/mtl/above ohm i like a 2x32n80/42n80 (or ss) at 3mm 6+ wraps.

on a dual parallel box, you can build a bit lower due to the extra amps, which will pull a bit more wattage, which will compensate for bigger coils. a five to seven wrap, 3 to 3.5mm 26 gauge kanthal fused clapton is pretty good. again, shoot for a resistance your batteries can handle. roughly between .1 and .15.

on unregulated series i like a 2x28 kanthal again, but this time in 3 to 3.5mm and 7-9 wraps, with a thicker outer wrap (34 or 36). shoot for a minimum of about .4 ohms. this coils mass, vs the voltage coming out of these mods makes for a pretty hot and sudden vape. if its too hot, add a wrap or two next time you try it.

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
@mach1ne thanks buddy didn't come across as a dick ....this isn't a grasshopper thing more of a im inqusitive let's see if there are common themes amongst vapers. Never seen someone ask across all aspects before so far some really insightful feedback from everyone ;)

If you feel your answer changes in each category thats fine as well said in OP by all means answer differently in each if that's your experience

I'll admit I might try some of the wires and gauges and coils throughout this thread and why not :)

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ok i am probably going to sound like a dick here, but settling into a 'sweet spot' when there are so many options for wire and different types of coil builds is just a self imposed limitation... i do, however, understand the curiosity and data collection aspect of the question, and when i first started i asked a lot of very similar questions until i came to the point im at now, where i say these things that make me sound like a dick...the circle of life.

for me, these categories are the things that influence all my builds more than anything else. am i building a low or high wattage build? what device will fire it? what atty does it have to fit inside? i vape all over the place in terms of power/devices/atomizers, so i cant just pick a build i like and use it for everything.
Power wattage mode high watts (>50) - the majority of my hardware and builds are in this catergoy
Power wattage mode low watts (=<50) - i have a kayfun 5 and a kf3 mini i dont build under 1 ohm, or run over 30w
Temp control - the hohm wrecker g2 is the only mod i use in tc mode, and tc mode is the only mode i use it in
Mech/hybrid mod - yes. parallel, series, tubes, para-series etc...this is my preferred hardware over regulated mods
Regulated mod - i have two generic regulated mods that i use as beaters when i dont want to risk dropping or otherwise damaging a nice one
Single coil - yup, quite often
Dual or more coils - i only build more than two coils for a laugh or a picture. i havent really found a good quad coil build that i prefer as a daily vape over my regular dual coil builds. its also really hard to make fancier coils like aliens come in at a functional resistance when you start making 4 or more.

ka1, ss316, n80

2) What is your favourite metal?
i cant personally taste the difference enough to choose one over the other, so my reasons to choose one over the other are entirely based on the build im doing (target resistance, build space, coil mass etc)

3) What is your least favourite metal?
never met a metal i didnt like (aside from metalcore)

yeah i do. you can fine tune your vape a lot when you understand how the different metals work together to effect rampup/cool down/coil mass/resistance etc.

i prefer the best coil for whatever atty/target resistance/device/juice i am building at the time (this is where i start to sound like a dick again because there is no right answer here). to partially answer you though, i prefer coils like aliens or anything with 'staple' in the name, if they will fit in the atty and come to a resistance the mod can fire safely and effectively (coil mass vs voltage etc etc). the 'minimum' coil i build is a fused clapton though, no matter the hardware or target resistance. fc is the most versatile and functional coil there is imo.

i prefer the best inner diameter for whatever atty/target resistance/device i am building at the time. inner diameter is just a way to tweak your coil resistance closer to your target resistance. there is no reason to prefer a specific size. as long as it fits in the atty and comes to your target resistance, inner diameter is just a means to an end.

clouds and flavour have never influenced a build i have done. i will learn a new technique/coil and vape it to see if its cloudier or more flavourful, and categorize them in my head for later reference/preference so i can put them in the right atty...but i dont build for flavour or clouds specifically.

i prefer the best gauge for whatever atty/target resistance/device i am building at the time. the gauge of your core wires will determine your builds resistance. you have to choose the right gauge based on that and nothing else. the gauge of your wraps, however, is something you can experiment with. i prefer the smallest wraps that my skill level will allow me to use for the most part...but on a series mod with all that voltage, it can be better to choose a thicker wrap to help cool things down a little. on a tube or parallel box i like to use the smallest wraps i can because ramp up can be an issue at those voltages...but then skill level comes in and i am about 50/50 on being able to make 40g aliens...so i settle into 38 for that one etc etc etc...

in conclusion, there are too many factors to pick a favorite of anything specifically. there are a few different elements of building that only come from experience. once you have that experience, you will begin to answer these questions like a dick :cheers:

Hate to say it, even though you are thinking it ... you didn't come across as a dick. That is exactly how it is. What you did provide is a very constructive and conclusive thought around all the factors that are involved with coil building and "why" they are so different for every atty AND mod. You answered many of my unanswered "questions" that i've been working through already as a "noob" myself. So -- thank you!

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Bottom line is that there isn't a one size fit's all for anything. Way to many variables, like that other thread going on about how much cotton. I can see what would be for type of wire or type of wicking but you can't get any more granular than that.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I like the general idea behind the thread. @KingPin! is in search of ideas about the different coil and wire out there and the "why" / "what" / "when" behind them. So in perspective, this isn't a bad thread to have. Even with the "dick" thinking of @mach1ne (which wasn't a dick) :D

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Bottom line is that there isn't a one size fit's all for anything. Way to many variables, like that other thread going on about how much cotton. I can see what would be for type of wire or type of wicking but you can't get any more granular than that.

Absolutely ...I'm not trying to formulate a best here just personal experiences nobody is right or wrong (I'll edit my OP take that sweet spot thing away its misleading)

Last edited:

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
well im glad no one took that wrong. it kinda felt like i shot your questions down instead of just trying to answer them, but those are my answers, based on my perspective and experience. im glad they could provide some insight @PhantomOp . maybe ill go back and edit in some details on my favorite builds for certain setups so there is also some actual answers in there for people to try out for themselves....

edit - added in some fused clapton builds for beginners that i think illustrate a bit of the range i was trying to get across...

Last edited:

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey everyone few questions for you on your vaping journey... there is no right or wrong here just your personal experience so far ;)

8) When making complex coils what are your favourite gauges (Complex for purpose of this thread is more than single wire)

If you want to answer the above questions in one or all of categories below by all means do so, also if you feel your answer changes across categories state that.
To keep it standard for this thread it would be helpful if you state up front the categories for your answers as follows :)

Temp control
Mech/hybrid mod
Regulated mod
Single coil
Dual or more coils

1. SS, kanthal, nickel, nichrome
2. Nichrome
3. Stainless steel
4. No
5. Parallel centred "Z" coil
6. Depends on rda
7. Heat
8. 26/32 Only use more than single strand on series mech

I'm using mech mods. Mostly parallel batteries, some series. Stainless and kanthal both irritate my throat. Nichrome doesn't.

BTW @kingpin can you please stop tagging me in random threads. I don't usually venture out of a few standard threads i visit regularly

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Tapatalk

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Sorry mate won't happen again :oops: just noted you have a lot of knowledge and appreciate your insights and validation as I'm still learning the ropes of vaping
Put it down to noob error on my part nothing more than that

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I've used exclusively 316L wire so far in my claptons 26g cores and 38g wraps but I've read kanthal core about 24g and NI80 at 36g is popular and described by many as the sweet spot this leads me to ask

If you want to answer this in one or all categories below by all means do so. To keep it standard for this thread it would be helpful if you state up front the categories for your answers as follows :)

Power wattage mode high watts
Power wattage mode low watts
Temp control
Mech/hybrid mod
Regulated mod
Single coil
Dual or more coils
1) Kanthal, SS316l, SS430, Nife 30, Nife 52, Ni200
2) Overall SS316l
3) Ni200
4) I don't build my own coils but i but premade coils from people like @b_d_builders or spools of premade wire from advanced vape supply
5) Aliens, fused claptons, and staggered. basically all the "fancy coils"
6) ususally between 2.5-4. the sweet spot for me is 3.0-3.5
7) flavor
8) I don't make them. I'm a scrub, i buy my coils lol

I vape
Power mode medium to high watts (usually around 80-100, single coils 50-60 or tanks the the TFV12 i'll take up to about 160 watts)
Temp control (yes i love a good temp control vape but only a few mods give me the vape i want form it like the G2)
mechs yup i have a few, i prefer regulated mods but i enjoy mechs too. I had a hybrid didn't really think it was all that great anyway. not really needed for everyday vaping IMO
I'm mostly a dual coil vapor

Also @KingPin!
I don't mind you tagging me at all if you have questions or want info so feel free to tag away ;)

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
ka1, SS316L, Ti, N80
SS
Ti
With kanthal cores I'll use N80 or SS because they ramp up/release heat faster and nothing thicker than 36 gauge
Fused Clapton
depends on the device, 3 mm is my most used
Flavor is king
26/38, 28/38, 30/38

Regulated mods I'm usually in TC mode with SS fused Claptons 26/38 I set the power so the mod puts out 3.7 volts
Mech mods: I use squonkers, parallel, series, and single battery tubes.
Squonkers are my travel mods and I build to 0.30 to 0.40 ohms with fused Claptons 28 ka1/38 N80 with dual coils, single coil same ohms but SS 28/38 fused
Parallel, 0.15+ SS 26/38 fused Claptons
Series, 0.50 I use a neutral post atty, the Rafle X, so I can use SS 26/38 dual
Tube, 0.25+ 26 k/38 N80 or SS 30/38 fused Claptons

BornToDie423

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
1) I've tried Kanthal, Nichrome 80, Titanium, 316LSS
2) Nichrome
3) Titanium/Stainless (not big on temp control)
4) I use fused claptons, aliens, staggered-fused, claptons with parallel K-A1/Ni80, parallel coils, and just regular ol' round wire.
5) Fused Clapton wrapped in ribbon wire.
6) 3mm ID.
7) Both, honestly. I like to taste whatever I'm using, I like a warm vape, and clouds are a by-product of that.
8) I'm not really that picky. For the core wire, I'll use 24, 26, and sometimes 28. For the outer wire anything below 32, though I prefer 36 or lower.

High watt device >50: I will use some form of multi core Clapton around 0.12-0.15ohm.

Low watt <50: What's that?

Temp control: Not a big fan of temp control(don't hate me!!).

Mech/hybrid mod: Boy oh boy, this is where my heart lies. What I run heavily depends on the mech/atty combo, the battery, what wire types I have laying around, and how I feel that day. Generally speaking for a single battery mech, it'll be fused claptons at around .2(25r) or .15-.16 fused claptons(LGHB6). For something like the noisy cricket, I'll run a single core Clapton parallel with 26g kanthal single coil ~0.5ohm (large ID) OR a set of fused claptons running around 0.45ohm (large ID)

Regulated mod: When I do use them, it'll range from dual fused claptons, alien coils, staggered-fused claptons, or just regular round wire. Builds range from the lowest the device can handle up to 0.3 ohm.

Single coil: I don't often do single coil builds, but if I do, it's either in a noisy cricket (explained above) or a staggered-fused clapton/alien in a mech.

Dual or more coils: Duals are fun. The most I've put in a single atty was 8.. Maybe 6.. I don't remember. I ran quad vertical coils for a while. That was a headache changing cotton, but boy was it nice.. I may throw some on a device here soon.. Duals can be just about anything ranging from fancy coils down to your standard single wire coil builds. More than 2 coils and I won't try anything fancy. Just your average single wire coils.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer

When push comes to shove, I am most likely one of the easiest vapers to please.

Flavor is my only concern.

I have tried Titanium and NI. Don't care for either.
My go to is Kanthal (Standard single coil )build at 3mm 0.58 resistance.
But since I have started Sqounking, I am rocking 3mm dual SS Clapton Coils with a combined resistance of 0.19 ohms
I am also a "Wattage Wimp" so 36 Watts is where I spend most of my time around.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Mech/hybrid mod (single tube, or series configuration)
Dual coils

1.kanthal
Nichrome60
Nichrome80
Nichrome90
Ss 316l

2.for single wire (basic coils) I prefer 21g nichrome90 because of fast ramp up and for claptons I prefer ss 316l

3. Kanthal

4. I use 38g kanthal D for outer wire of claptons a lot basically because it's the only one I can easily find 1000' spools.. I've tried using other high ramp metals for outer and noticed no big difference.

5. Fused claptons

6. 3mm

7. Clouds, the taste will follow. I've never vaped a massive plume of tasteless vapor plus I like it hot which usually goes in hand with clouds.

8. For dual core I use 24k and for more I use 26k. For series I use 28k.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Well.... Since I was tagged I suppose I can play.... Apologies now for what will probably be a lengthy post.

I vape primarily mechanical series and mechanical parallel boxes. The wattage i vape at is dictated by my build resistance and I always build to taste-not to hit a particular wattage.

1~i've probably tried most every wire available for coil building save a few weird forms of stainless
2~my favorite is probably nichrome mostly for its ease of use. It's easily stretched and very easy to work with. Also the low resistance allows me to add an extra wrap or two over the same build in kanthal which allows for more total surface area, leading to better flavor/vapor production
3~i don't have a least favorite
4~i do mix wire on complex builds. I almost exclusively use high-gauge nichrome for my outer wire as it stretches better and is less prone to snapping. I typically start with a full nichrome build, if I need to raise resistance I will start swapping out parts with kanthal until my desires resistance is achieved.
5~what is the sound of one hand clapping? That might be easier to answer than this question haha. Let's say I was stranded on a desert island and could only have one build with me.... I can narrow it down to two: Framed Staple Aliens and Staggertons. The stacked ribbon core in the framed staple aliens provides immense flavor, combined with the peculiar wicking qualities of alien wire it makes for a top notch vape. Second would be a Staggerton variation of some sort. I deeply enjoy builds with ribbon cores and Staggertons kinda kick that up a notch.
Framed Staple Alien:
Screenshot_2017-02-28-18-01-59.png
Staggerton:
Screenshot_2017-02-28-18-01-43.png

6~my favorite inner diameter is 3mm. For me it strikes a balance between wick capacity and ramp up time (or lack thereof) I always start there, if I find space is an issue or resistance or ramp up time is too high I'll drop down a size. But 3mm is my go-to.
7~flavor is always my goal, but vapor production on these complex builds is never an issue. That's what got me building-not wanting to choose between flavor or clouds. I am fortunate in achieving both with my builds
8~i most commonly use 40/42g for my outer wire. Going much higher for me seems counter productive. Beyond 44g the outer wire seems to form too fine of a membrane around the cores preventing vapor from escaping in a manner that provides the nice flavor I'm after. I also lean towards 40/42g for its size. Any finished coil with a 42g outer wire is gonna be substantially smaller than say 38g. The exception comes when I build for series, in which case I often use 38g because it is far more resilient when it comes to surviving hot spots.

There's my 2 million cents haha, cheers!

Sent from my C6740N using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Datrebor

ECF Refugee
Here are mine for
Power wattage mode high watts
Temp control
Regulated mod
Single coil
Dual or more coils
1) SS316, Ni200, Ti, Kanthal A1, and Nichrome
2) Power Kanthal [Clapton] TC SS316
3) I think Ti or Ni200
4)N/A
5) Dual simple , so far
6) Not sure
7)mix
8) only tried Kanthal 28gX3 twisted

Thought it would be good to put this together for budding DIY coil builders

Temp control
Mech/hybrid mod
Regulated mod
Single coil
Dual or more coils

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Well.... Since I was tagged I suppose I can play.... Apologies now for what will probably be a lengthy post.

I vape primarily mechanical series and mechanical parallel boxes. The wattage i vape at is dictated by my build resistance and I always build to taste-not to hit a particular wattage.

1~i've probably tried most every wire available for coil building save a few weird forms of stainless
2~my favorite is probably nichrome mostly for its ease of use. It's easily stretched and very easy to work with. Also the low resistance allows me to add an extra wrap or two over the same build in kanthal which allows for more total surface area, leading to better flavor/vapor production
4~i do mix wire on complex builds. I almost exclusively use high-gauge nichrome for my outer wire as it stretches better and is less prone to snapping. I typically start with a full nichrome build, if I need to raise resistance I will start swapping out parts with kanthal until my desires resistance is achieved.
5~what is the sound of one hand clapping? That might be easier to answer than this question haha. Let's say I was stranded on a desert island and could only have one build with me.... I can narrow it down to two: Framed Staple Aliens and Staggertons. The stacked ribbon core in the framed staple aliens provides immense flavor, combined with the peculiar wicking qualities of alien wire it makes for a top notch vape. Second would be a Staggerton variation of some sort. I deeply enjoy builds with ribbon cores and Staggertons kinda kick that up a notch.
Framed Staple Alien:
View attachment 75471
Staggerton:
View attachment 75472

6~my favorite inner diameter is 3mm. For me it strikes a balance between wick capacity and ramp up time (or lack thereof) I always start there, if I find space is an issue or resistance or ramp up time is too high I'll drop down a size. But 3mm is my go-to.
7~flavor is always my goal, but vapor production on these complex builds is never an issue. That's what got me building-not wanting to choose between flavor or clouds. I am fortunate in achieving both with my builds
8~i most commonly use 40/42g for my outer wire. Going much higher for me seems counter productive. Beyond 44g the outer wire seems to form too fine of a membrane around the cores preventing vapor from escaping in a manner that provides the nice flavor I'm after. I also lean towards 40/42g for its size. Any finished coil with a 42g outer wire is gonna be substantially smaller than say 38g. The exception comes when I build for series, in which case I often use 38g because it is far more resilient when it comes to surviving hot spots.

Framed Staple Alien:
View attachment 75471
Staggerton:
View attachment 75472

Sent from my C6740N using Tapatalk
thanks scarecrow your work is awesome love your builds in the post your builds section how you work with 42g or above is beyond me must be so fiddly to get tension right or even see it! I struggle with 38g lol if I can make a coil that looks half as good as one of yours I'll be happy ;)

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
thanks scarecrow your work is awesome love your builds in the post your builds section how you work with 42g or above is beyond me must be so fiddly to get tension right or even see it! I struggle with 38g lol if I can make a coil that looks half as good as one of yours I'll be happy ;)

Thank you kindly! When it comes to smaller wire it's all about developing a feel for it, because you sure as hell can't see the shit haha. I appreciate the kind words!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors