Become a Patron!

Coil troubles

Hi Everyone- i am having a shit day. Bought a new Q2 Baby Best coil on Saturday- and did my prepping as i should but now this morning all of a sudden it started burning my through and has this k@k taste... ? any help or tips?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Know it'll sound obvious but keep the coil/wick saturated with juice. Another line of thought would be to forego these coils and look toward the Baby RBA coil set up. Looking at the ones you're using, they do not look too open for rebuilding or troubleshooting. You might try running at lower wattage or even low temperature under temperature control if the mod supports that. Saw info on a site regarding these suggesting 55 - 65 watts is optimal for them, I might try around 40 and gradually work up until the sweet spot could be found.

That's what I've got. Apologies, I run RDA and on mech mods. Pretty sure someone who runs these type of coils can be along anytime to offer perhaps better advice. They might even tell you my advice is for making up paper dollies. ;) :) Hope I've at least offered some preliminary guidance as to solving the issue.

@themagic
Know it'll sound obvious but keep the coil/wick saturated with juice. Another line of thought would be to forego these coils and look toward the Baby RBA coil set up. Looking at the ones you're using, they do not look too open for rebuilding or troubleshooting. You might try running at lower wattage or even low temperature under temperature control if the mod supports that. Saw info on a site regarding these suggesting 55 - 65 watts is optimal for them, I might try around 40 and gradually work up until the sweet spot could be found.

That's what I've got. Apologies, I run RDA and on mech mods. Pretty sure someone who runs these type of coils can be along anytime to offer perhaps better advice. They might even tell you my advice is for making up paper dollies. ;) :) Hope I've at least offered some preliminary guidance as to solving the issue.

Holy shit- that actually worked... ive worked up to 50W and no burning right now... ill run it on 50 for a while and see how it works. ill keep you posted thanks so much

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@themagic
Holy shit- that actually worked... ive worked up to 50W and no burning right now... ill run it on 50 for a while and see how it works. ill keep you posted thanks so much

Borrowing from Steve Austin, "Hell yeah!" :)

If your coils use cotton for a wick you might also want to look at rayon to replace the cotton. @TrollDragon can point you in the right direction for using rayon. Rayon is a little more difficult to burn if used properly, it soaks up more juice and releases it more evenly.

You can call me Ben, Joe, even Morely as I used MorelysMagicMist for a while here.:)

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
Smok coils are the special snowflakes and you need to treat em as such sadly.

Here's some "different" and additional preparation steps, you need to take, when dealing with smok.

Grab a safety pin or a thin needle.
On the side of the coil, you see little pockets of cotton, in between the wires poke 2-4 holes into the cotton ( if you're using a juice that's at least 70/30 and up, if you do not and its thinner 50/50 or 65/35 VG/pg, use 1 hole per pocket, if its even thinner than that don't attempt)
After you're done with that, take your juice and drop 2-3 drops in each of these side pockets, as well as a huge dab in the middle.
Reassemble your tank and fill.
Now without pressing the fire button, take 4-6 drags and then let stand for at least 10 minutes.
After that as already mentioned, start at low wattage and work your way up, that will prevent the dumb smok coils to feel special enough not to burn.

From then on out its hit or miss, some of my old smok coils lasted from 1 day all the way to 2 weeks, before they needed to be replaced. But on average, its more like 1-3 days depending on wattage, juice and puffs you're running them with/at. Gl

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Smok coils are the special snowflakes and you need to treat em as such sadly.

Yep, yep, even the Pro-Tank version of their coils could be. Those were used in the Pro-Tanks, the ARO, RGM2 tanks. They would be PITA for a bit, we did rebuild some but it got tiresome after swapping over to RDAs. At that point, it becomes, "Okay, why am I still using a tank?"

I know some prefer tanks. All good and well they should too. :) I did use them but not seeing myself go back to them. Bah, silly micro coils. *chuckles* <good humored joking>

VU Sponsors