Become a Patron!

Coil usage

Jaredgrn

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Okay, so I have what's probably going to be considered a pretty stupid question. I'm using 2 mods, the Coolfire iv 18650, and the Smok G-Priv. The tanks that I am using are the Goocig Toro and the Smok big baby Beast. My question is this, both of these mods say that they can fire down to .1 ohms in variable wattage mode, so can I use a .15 ohm coil safely? I know these are regulated mods with the short circuit protection etc, just wanted to make sure it was safe to use??? Thx.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Well, first let us define "safe". Yes, your coil is going to be fine on both mods, since they are regulated. But remember, these mods are not toys. You need to take care of them and take precautions to make the as safe as possible. Keep your mods in good condition, don't toss them around and only use high quality high drain batteries. Sony, Samsung, LG are proven brands and your best bet to make your vaping as safe as possible. Check your battery wrappers often for tears and repair or replace if the wrapper is damaged. A damaged battery can go into thermal run even in a regulated mod. (current arcs from a tear in the side of the battery, up the metal mod casing and to the positive terminal = bad juju) The 3 brands I named, can go thermal, but they vent out rather than explode. This means you have lots of time to react and dump the cells out of your mod, or toss the mod into a sink, toilet, metal coffee can, onto the lawn, whatever, before any injury occurs.
Also use a proper, good quality charger for your batteries or the charger supplied by the manufacturer.

Now I'm not trying to scare you, just stressing the point that nothing is 100% "safe" but you can do a lot to make your vaping as safe as it can be.
I have only seen 1 regulated mod battery go thermal in nearly a year of online research, a failed IC board was the suspected cause. So even though it is very rare, these things can happen.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can safely go down to 0.1 ohm with both of them.
Your safety related question should be how high can I go with wattage and that depends on the type of batteries that you're using.

Jaredgrn

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, first let us define "safe". Yes, your coil is going to be fine on both mods, since they are regulated. But remember, these mods are not toys. You need to take care of them and take precautions to make the as safe as possible. Keep your mods in good condition, don't toss them around and only use high quality high drain batteries. Sony, Samsung, LG are proven brands and your best bet to make your vaping as safe as possible. Check your battery wrappers often for tears and repair or replace if the wrapper is damaged. A damaged battery can go into thermal run even in a regulated mod. (current arcs from a tear in the side of the battery, up the metal mod casing and to the positive terminal = bad juju) The 3 brands I named, can go thermal, but they vent out rather than explode. This means you have lots of time to react and dump the cells out of your mod, or toss the mod into a sink, toilet, metal coffee can, onto the lawn, whatever, before any injury occurs.
Also use a proper, good quality charger for your batteries or the charger supplied by the manufacturer.

Now I'm not trying to scare you, just stressing the point that nothing is 100% "safe" but you can do a lot to make your vaping as safe as it can be.
I have only seen 1 regulated mod battery go thermal in nearly a year of online research, a failed IC board was the suspected cause. So even though it is very rare, these things can happen.
Thx for the advice. I'm always super careful with my mods and never banging them around so I know I take good care of them. I'm currently using the LG hg2 batteries. I appreciate all the information you supplied.

Jaredgrn

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You can safely go down to 0.1 ohm with both of them.
Your safety related question should be how high can I go with wattage and that depends on the type of batteries that you're using.
Thx for the heads up. Yeah i asked one of my buddies who Vapes what kind of batteries I should use and he said I should use high drain 20-25 amp battery since I vape at 30 Watts. He said eventually I'll need to go up to 30 amp battery if I started vaping at higher wattages but for now I'm fine.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For just 30W (and up to 120W for the G-priv) 20A batteries are more then enough.

Last edited:

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Thx for the heads up. Yeah i asked one of my buddies who Vapes what kind of batteries I should use and he said I should use high drain 20-25 amp battery since I vape at 30 Watts. He said eventually I'll need to go up to 30 amp battery if I started vaping at higher wattages but for now I'm fine.
Sorry, your buddy is wrong. The mod controls the amps and it will pull what is needed. Your best bet is probably what you have now, 20A 3000MaH. The higher the MaH the longer you can go between charges and the less you have to recharge which means longer battery life. The amps are more for mechanical mods, where you are more limited by ohms law.
Example..
4.2V at 20A = 0.21 ohm for 84 watts power on a 20A CDR battery
compared to
4.2V at 30A = 0.14 ohm for 126 watts power on a 30A CDR battery

In both examples, the resistance and amp draw are right on the CDR of the battery but the higher amp CDR lets you pull more wattage to heat your coil

A regulated mod uses a 2 stage process to determine power out.. see:
http://blog.thevaporist.org/2015/12/29/regulated-mods/

You should note, that since your power out is limited by your resistance, you can use different coil builds to add more wraps, for example a dual parallel coil (10 wrap) will work on a 200w mod, but a dual single coail (20 wraps per coil) will not let you pull the full 200w due to the output controller.
Same number of wraps but different resistance in the power formula.
In other words, you can get some sick @ssed clouds on a regulated mod with the correct coil build.
In mechanical mods, your power is limited by your CDR and resistance. Stay within the CDR for safety reasons. (as per example)

Last edited:

VU Sponsors