Become a Patron!

Coiling jig "Coil builder v2"

Debonair_vapologist

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi-Diddily-Ho, VU folk ! :)

As always I send this post from Russia with love haha

And I'd like to tell you about a great hand-made device, that may become your ticket to the coil building world :)

If you are following the recent developments in our craft than you've probably noticed that things are getting easier every day. Who would have thought at least a year ago that fused claptons, staggered fused claptons, aliens and other fancy wires would become a part of oir daily vaping routines ? :) I personally used to watch different build tutorials by TM and Squid Dude (or how does he spell it?:) ) bewitched by those glossy strings of high gauge nichrome twisting and forming beautiful patterns.

But now making , say, a standard fused clapton became so mundane and ordinary that I can make them every day.

We have come a long way from wrapping those tiny strings with bare hands to utilizing fishing swivels and clothespins :))

And just like in any other industry there are manufacturers who offer the most sophisticated high-end products for those who do not like the esthetics of diy swivel chains clutched in a vise :)

There are mass-produced kits like Daedalus, for example, but most of the time they do not live up to the customers' expectations. As always through trial and error manufacturers came up with really great products. If I am not mistaken a company called USA Ohm Meters was the first to introduce a 3D-printed coil jig named "Pro Spin". It comes with an innovative chuck, ball-bearing spinning mechanism and at a very high price in my opinion. Seriously, 40$ is too much for a piece of plastic no matter how good it is :))

But a couple of weeks ago I stumbled upon a small workshop based in Moscow that specializes in similar coiling tools. Their version of Pro Spin is called Coil Builder, and though it obviously bares great resemblance to its American counterpart I don't think it is plagiarism.

Technically, Coil Builder is also a 3D-printed device equipped with a ball-bearing spinning mechanism. But it also features some advantages. First, the chuck is not as complicated as it is on Pro Spin. Basically it is just a triangular shaped loop that is big enough to fit ribbon wire or multi-strand round wire. I am attaching a photo taken from the shop's website. Second, I just love that the "spinning head" is rotatable in any direction and at a very wide angle. Third, the device is assembled from spare parts that are available in almost every hardware store. By the way I envy American residents for having Home Depot on every corner haha. So it is not going to be a problem to replace something. Most important it utilizes a standard 608zz ball-bearing available in every bike shop. And last but not least comes the price. Coil builder costs 1200 rubles. Converted at current exchange rate it's 20$. That's what I call a bargain, ladies and gentlemen. The only problem is international shipping, but I think there are affordable options. Apart from this coil jig the guys offer another great add-on to your coiling station. It is called the Clip Coil and represents, well, a clip :)) But not just some clip. It is designed to fit the chuck of a drill. It has a protruding screw to fix your outer wire for claptoning. I find it indispensable for wrapping a multi-strand wire like alien or triple fused. And they sell it for only 350 rubles or 6$.

And a small disclaimer:
Don't get me wrong, I'm neither the owner of this shop and nor do I advertise it for commercial purposes. I just wanted to share my thoughts on it with my beloved VU community :) If someone finds it interesting I can try to contact the seller and aks him about international shipping. I also think that DIY gurus will assemble a similar setup in no time. So I guess you may consider my post an inspiring tale :)

Please accept my vehement protestations of gratitude for your attention and have a good day :D

P.S. There are many passionate vape enthusiasts in Russia, but we really lack a friendly community. Most Russian vape forums are 80% paid reviews and 20% abuse and insults. So I am very excited to contribute to VU and share my personal experience with those who may find it useful :)

Attachments

• eN5aaOYQruU.jpg
    eN5aaOYQruU.jpg
    671.4 KB · Views: 48
  • drnKNhQcJZA.jpg
    drnKNhQcJZA.jpg
    532.1 KB · Views: 51

Debonair_vapologist

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh, and I forgot to mention that this summer the almighty Twisted Messes himself visited Moscow vape expo and gave his official seal of approval to the coil builder :D well he just said that it is very handy and bought one for himself.

VU Sponsors