Become a Patron!

Coils go bad in a few days

So I'm using the alien kit with the baby beast tank, and it seems like my coils are going bad within 4 or 5 days. I've used probably 4 or 5 different kinds of coils for it, Q2, X4, etc. and it doesn't seem to make a difference, I've tried different juices from different shops and it doesn't seem to have much to do with the juice. It doesn't always happen, sometimes I go a good couple weeks without any problem, but sometimes the coils just don't last. I'm aware that sometimes there are coils that are just made badly but I feel like this happens too often for that to be the cause. I always prime the coils well (dropping juice on the cotton on the outside and inside before putting in the coil, letting it sit for like 10 minutes, then taking drags without firing, then letting it set for another 10 minutes and starting with small puffs).

I don't put the wattage too high I keep it at around 50. Could it have anything to do with the amount of nicotine? Lately I've been using juice with 18mg of nic firing it at 50 watts. My drags are usually around 2 to the 3 seconds. I've had this happen with enough juices that I don't feel like it's just the sugar gunking up the cotton.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I'm using the alien kit with the baby beast tank, and it seems like my coils are going bad within 4 or 5 days. I've used probably 4 or 5 different kinds of coils for it, Q2, X4, etc. and it doesn't seem to make a difference, I've tried different juices from different shops and it doesn't seem to have much to do with the juice. It doesn't always happen, sometimes I go a good couple weeks without any problem, but sometimes the coils just don't last. I'm aware that sometimes there are coils that are just made badly but I feel like this happens too often for that to be the cause. I always prime the coils well (dropping juice on the cotton on the outside and inside before putting in the coil, letting it sit for like 10 minutes, then taking drags without firing, then letting it set for another 10 minutes and starting with small puffs).

I don't put the wattage too high I keep it at around 50. Could it have anything to do with the amount of nicotine? Lately I've been using juice with 18mg of nic firing it at 50 watts. My drags are usually around 2 to the 3 seconds. I've had this happen with enough juices that I don't feel like it's just the sugar gunking up the cotton.

Nicotine has nothing to do with it. Pre maid factory coils are hit or miss. Does the tank have an RBA kit?

Nicotine has nothing to do with it. Pre maid factory coils are hit or miss. Does the tank have an RBA kit?
It didn't come with one, I could order online or check my local shop. Honesty I don't know much about RBA kits and the thought of building my own coils kind of worries me, seems easy to mess up.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You can buy an rba deck for the Baby Beast. It runs about $10. You don't have to build your own coils, you can buy pre-made coils. It's really not that hard to do and its definitely worth it both taste-wise and for the pocketbook.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
Or you can go the let's work with the problem, instead of trying to avoid it route lol. After going nearly a month through nightmare experience with smok, I did do some research and found some tricks that work for me.

1) take a small safety needle and poke 2-4 holes in the cotton on the side of the coil. If you're using high VG juices you can do 4 on each side, but if you're using juices that are much thinner, I would stick with 1or 2 holes, or you'll run into leakage problems.

2) if your mod let you adjust the strength, set it to "soft" instead of "normal" or "strong", this helps especially when taking longer drags or at higher wattage.

3) might considering going 2 or 3 watts lower than your original sweet spot, this isn't optimal but can increase the life of those stupid smok coils as well.

4) depending on how dark your juices are, consider giving your coils a hot water bath or rinse from time to time. I would even go as far, and say that with darker juices you'll be doing that on a 2 day basis. Lighter ones you would go that route every 4 to 5 days.

5) blow out your coils in between juice flavor changes. Sounds silly but does help in the long run.

6) pick the right coils for the right wattage. Important, I don't talk about coils that run between 30-70 for example and you using it at 50. I am talking about people that pick a m2 for example, that's best at 35 but firing it at 50. Don't be one of them lol.

7) fill your tank. Again silly but I've seen ppl with 5 drops of juice in their tank and be surprised that they burnt the coil. Keep it at least at the 25% range. Don't fill it all the way to the top either, we all agree it should be saturated, but you don't need to drown it, that can burn the coil as well and causes leakage with the smok tanks/mods.

8) prep it correctly. While you get away with the way you're doing it with most coil brands, smok wanna be that special snowflake. Put juice in the little side pockets and a good amount on the cotton in the middle. Dry hit 3-5 times. Wait....wait....wait....and yes wait for it.... No it won't be legendary but a waste of 15 minutes. Now turn your mod on a low setting, even below the recommendation, let's say 25w. Press the fire button for 1sec, let go, do not take a hit. Rinse and repeat 3 more times. Let stand another 10 minutes. Alright now with all that, you wasted around 2 hrs before taking your first hit, start at 25-30w take a couple of drags and work your way up to were you want to be, increasing it steadily by 3-5w every time.

Voila you got yourself some coils that last 2-4weeks depending on how often you use your mod. Or go the easy route and get yourself a new tank that isn't from smok, with other coils if you're not comfortable of going the RTA/RDA route just yet. Hope it helps.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I use the X4 coils in my Baby Beast at 27.5 Watts and get around 5K puffs.

VU Sponsors