Become a Patron!

Coils That Come With Serpent SMM

sbankme

Member For 3 Years
Anybody know what metal(s) are in the coils that come included with the Wotofo Serpent SMM? They are in a "Comp Wire" bag if that's a clue. Thanks.

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I first got mine I had the same question. I'd emailed Wotofo and they said it was Nichrome 80 but that was ll the info they would provide. No gauges or anything. Make sure you check resistance with a known source.

sbankme

Member For 3 Years
Perfect, thanks. We just received it yesterday and although I always suggest SS to my wife, she said she wants to try the included coils first. So it will be helpful info to know that they are Nichrome 80 and see how they perform vs the AVS SS we will try later. Excited for her as Serpent SMM looks like a promising option for a new builder who likes single coil and is ready to try moving up to RTAs from her subohm tanks.

mkbkr1

Member For 4 Years
Perfect, thanks. We just received it yesterday and although I always suggest SS to my wife, she said she wants to try the included coils first. So it will be helpful info to know that they are Nichrome 80 and see how they perform vs the AVS SS we will try later. Excited for her as Serpent SMM looks like a promising option for a new builder who likes single coil and is ready to try moving up to RTAs from her subohm tanks.
From what I can find they are quad core 28 gauge wrapped with 38 gauge, both N80 wire. This matches the resistance measured on my mod compared with steam engine

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

sbankme

Member For 3 Years
Thanks for that.
FWIW, she vaped about 5 puffs on those coils, complained of acrid, metallic aftertaste and last night we built a SS framed staple from a roll of AVS SS; 8 wraps @ .20. Hopefully that works for her...

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks for that.
FWIW, she vaped about 5 puffs on those coils, complained of acrid, metallic aftertaste and last night we built a SS framed staple from a roll of AVS SS; 8 wraps @ .20. Hopefully that works for her...

You need to heat up nichrome a bit before you wick it to give it enough oxidation to prevent shorts and yucky taste

It should get a little color to it before use

L3uHgSa.jpg

Same for SS too, but just a tiny bit of heat takes care of that - just enough till you see that it's not coloring in weird spots like near the legs

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I get the same thing from nichrome at first and after a while the metal taste fades. I have always attributed it to the nickel content but what do I know... Another reason why SS is the superior wire; in my opinion of course.

sbankme

Member For 3 Years
Yeah, thanks. Did pulse/strum/pinch it a number of times, made sure no hot spots. Started at 25w and ramped it up to 40w before wicking it. Will compare the color to your pic.
Did the same on the SS, following the video posted by advanced vape supply about prepping their wire. Since she has very sensitive taste buds my guess is that SS will be better in the long run anyway, but the Serpent came with 3 of the Ni80 coils, so maybe they will get some use here.
Thanks all!

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yeah, thanks. Did pulse/strum/pinch it a number of times, made sure no hot spots. Started at 25w and ramped it up to 40w before wicking it. Will compare the color to your pic.
Did the same on the SS, following the video posted by advanced vape supply about prepping their wire. Since she has very sensitive taste buds my guess is that SS will be better in the long run anyway, but the Serpent came with 3 of the Ni80 coils, so maybe they will get some use here.
Thanks all!

Ahh right on! Everyone is different, I can taste SS and CAN'T taste Nichrome, but nichrome gives me a really bad sore throat pretty quick :oops:

*chants "kanthal...kanthal...kanthal" *

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just got a serpent in the mail yesterday. I love it but im running through juice like crazy. SS fused clapton. But hell 20 bucks I can't complain.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors