Become a Patron!

Coils to poppy....?

Vaping_Orchard

Member For 2 Years
I have been building for a while now. And i understand what makes a coil crackle or pop is juice getting trapped in the cracks of coils...however, to me, here are two versions of this.

The oh so sweet sounds of "crackling" when taking a pull... Knowing your soakin up that juice. Reminds me of that sweat purr of a flowmaster duel exaust.

Then there is that dreaded "POP" that sends juice missles out everywere, burnin whatever it comes in contact with. Ive burnt my throat a few times. That reminds me of a backfire.

I'm still trying to figure this out. Example: in my kylin rta...i have a .25 ohm fused Clapton SS316L coil from geekvape.Dual coil build with cotton bacon. Vaping at 50 watts. And its a great "crackle" sound, tastes great, no missiles...... In my Fireluke Freemax rba, i have the exact same coils, ohmes out at .28, and that thing POPS loud and shoots those juice missles everywere. Ive rewicked it twice.. Using a little less and a little more cotton...and it sill does it. Ive tried adjusting wattage s little and still does it.

And not with just that tank...others too. Some have the nice crackle... Some have the bad pop. I'm wondering how to get rid of that nasty POP. Ive heard several people say pop is good. Do they mean crackle is good? Or do people actually like that loud backfire?

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have been building for a while now. And i understand what makes a coil crackle or pop is juice getting trapped in the cracks of coils...however, to me, here are two versions of this.

The oh so sweet sounds of "crackling" when taking a pull... Knowing your soakin up that juice. Reminds me of that sweat purr of a flowmaster duel exaust.

Then there is that dreaded "POP" that sends juice missles out everywere, burnin whatever it comes in contact with. Ive burnt my throat a few times. That reminds me of a backfire.

I'm still trying to figure this out. Example: in my kylin rta...i have a .25 ohm fused Clapton SS316L coil from geekvape.Dual coil build with cotton bacon. Vaping at 50 watts. And its a great "crackle" sound, tastes great, no missiles...... In my Fireluke Freemax rba, i have the exact same coils, ohmes out at .28, and that thing POPS loud and shoots those juice missles everywere. Ive rewicked it twice.. Using a little less and a little more cotton...and it sill does it. Ive tried adjusting wattage s little and still does it.

And not with just that tank...others too. Some have the nice crackle... Some have the bad pop. I'm wondering how to get rid of that nasty POP. Ive heard several people say pop is good. Do they mean crackle is good? Or do people actually like that loud backfire?

The only cure I've found for those really explosive pops is to just replace the coil -- sometimes they just misbehave. This is only one of the excellent reasons for building your own coils -- if this happens with bought coils, then you're out some dollars -- with your own coils, you're only out a few pennies and 5-10 minutes of your time.

As for the other type... use an RDA; you don't get any gurgle or pop, just smooth tasty flavor.

Andria

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
In an rda you can try moving your coils out more as long as they're not touching the cap. Make sure they're aligned with the air holes or slightly above to where you can see the bottle of the coil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If my coils aren't crackling, I know they're not getting enough juice, but if it's spitting at you, yeah nobody likes that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It can be the wick. Or it can be a misbehaving coil. If you keep changing the wick, and it's not helping, then it's the coil.

Andria

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hotspots and poorly wrapped coils can also cause this.
The wick has to have even contact and heat in there.
I just saw the geekvape thing. They use some of the lowest quality wire for their coils and they use silly stuff like 32g fuse and rectangular wire for their "aliens".
They're some seriously nasty coils.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Like whiteowl84 said, make sure you don't have any hotspots and you have enough wick. Also, make sure your coils are open under the bottom so air can get under them. I cured one instance of spitback by simply taking my tweezers and making a hole under my coils where the wick was stuffed under there in my rda.

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I build my own coils, what I like to do is cut the wick so it barely touches the bottom of the deck. That way it can still soak up juice, but you leave enough airflow under the coil to where the coils can breathe. That was one of my biggest newbie mistakes. I'd stuff the deck so full of cotton that the coils couldn't breathe properly. You can really tell when you have too much cotton. It'll feel like you have to suck back really hard to get any vapor at all. Of course that'll also be the case if your air holes are partly closed, another mistake I make sometimes.

Just something to keep in mind in case you do decide to build your own coils.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
When I build my own coils, what I like to do is cut the wick so it barely touches the bottom of the deck. That way it can still soak up juice, but you leave enough airflow under the coil to where the coils can breathe. That was one of my biggest newbie mistakes. I'd stuff the deck so full of cotton that the coils couldn't breathe properly. You can really tell when you have too much cotton. It'll feel like you have to suck back really hard to get any vapor at all. Of course that'll also be the case if your air holes are partly closed, another mistake I make sometimes.

Just something to keep in mind in case you do decide to build your own coils.

Well said.

VU Sponsors