Become a Patron!

Completely overwhelmed... I just want a vape that will help me quit cigs...

Belts

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I seriously couldn't care less about the "vaping culture" or the hobby aspect to the whole thing. I just simply want a hard hitting vape that will help me quit cigs that doesn't require studying rocket science to use the damn thing.

I successfully quit smoking a few years ago for almost a full year by using an e-cig. Unfortunately, I started smoking again. I am trying to quit, but my e-cig doesn't work anymore. I went into a local vape store the other day and had no idea what I was looking at. Everything they offered looked like computer parts. I had no idea if anything was a full package, which part went with another part, etc. I overheard the store owner telling a couple about how they work and what they need. It sounded so ridiculous and overwhelming that I gave up and walked out of the store.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't give up! I was able to quit a 40-year habit the first day I picked up an ecig, so it can be done painlessly:p

Did the ecig you have work to give you the feeling that you could quit? What was it (can you post a pic)?

Generally, you need a tank (that's the top part), and a bottom part that holds a battery. The tank uses coils, which need to be changed (so you need spare ones).

If you can post a picture of what you have it'll be easier to offer suggestions on what might work well for you.

Belts

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I had The Vault by Veppo.
vaultbluehorizsnipped.png

It was decent, but didn't hit as hard as I would have liked. I do find the new "box" designs to be better, because they wouldn't get lost as easily and from what I've seen, hit much harder, but they confuse me with all the talk of "mods" surrounding them and whatnot. So what you're saying is that they are really not much different from my old e-cig, in that they are just a battery, tank, and coil?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Exactly. Same thing, just that some of the batteries are in square boxes, and some are ego style (which is what you have).

A popular starter set is something like a Nautilus tank and perhaps an Istick 30 watt (which has a built-in rechargeable battery). There are a gazillion other combinations of course!

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So what you're saying is that they are really not much different from my old e-cig, in that they are just a battery, tank, and coil?

Yup. Except the mods now have voltage/watt control and more power, and the tanks are bigger and better.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
For sure don't give up I quit a 50 year smoking habit by vaping.

There is a bit of a learning curve but it doesn't have to be crazy over the top like some of us are.

I'd start with a Kit from Kanger or Joyetech All you'll need is a battery and a few extra coils. I love my Joyetech eVic mini.

Look at someplace like http://www.myvaporstore.com/ to see whats out there and look at the Regulated mod thread.

All you really need to know is how to clean the tank and prime the coil the first time you use it and how to change the coil when it's spent.

By all means feel free to ask questions loads of helpful people here.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I had The Vault by Veppo.
vaultbluehorizsnipped.png

It was decent, but didn't hit as hard as I would have liked. I do find the new "box" designs to be better, because they wouldn't get lost as easily and from what I've seen, hit much harder, but they confuse me with all the talk of "mods" surrounding them and whatnot. So what you're saying is that they are really not much different from my old e-cig, in that they are just a battery, tank, and coil?

Exactly but instead of just vaping you need set the wattage to give you the best vape. Once it's set up you don't have to fiddle with it anymore. When you do get something and are having problems start a post and you'll get all the help you need.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If you want simple, look for an eleaf basic kit. There is no adjusting anything. Just put in a coil and juice, keep it charged, and vape it like you stole it.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
If you want to re-start out simply and inexpensively, you might try the Kanger SUBVOD. $30 + shipping from My Vapor Store: Kanger SUBVOD Starter Kit

Caveat: I don't own one of these, myself, and do not know anybody, personally, that does. I've fondled them in local vape shops and they seem a decent bit of vape kit. The guys behind the counters say they're popular. Review are fairly positive.

Belts

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wait... So "mods" are just batteries? Who had the great idea to call them mods? XD

I always figured it was short for modification, which had me thinking everyone was out constantly upgrading their vapes like some sort of "pimp-my-ride" scenario. Seriously, most of my confusion stems from the term "mod". Now that I know it's just a battery, it's like a veil has been lifted. :p

Belts

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The only vapes I remember seeing in the vape shop were x-cube something or others and they were around $80. Are those any good?

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wait... So "mods" are just batteries? Who had the great idea to call them mods? XD

I always figured it was short for modification, which had me thinking everyone was out constantly upgrading their vapes like some sort of "pimp-my-ride" scenario. Seriously, most of my confusion stems from the term "mod". Now that I know it's just a battery, it's like a veil has been lifted. :p

Yep. "mod" is just an old term from when people were making more powerful setups than the vape pen style.

Belts

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Alright guys, thanks a lot! I'm glad to say I feel far less overwhelmed now, and the prices seem fair at my local shop compared to what I just checked online. I think I'm gonna go pick one up, and will be sure to post any questions I have here!

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile

I always figured it was short for modification...
I haven't been vaping long enough to know, for sure, but I suspect you're more-or-less right: Short for "modified battery." Early e-cigs had simple, fixed-voltage batteries. Think eGo type things. A "mod" can mean anything from an improvement on that, such as the Kanger SUBVOD battery (fixed voltage), to which I earlier referred, to a high-end temperature-control mod such as the Wismec RX200.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Alright guys, thanks a lot! I'm glad to say I feel far less overwhelmed now, and the prices seem fair at my local shop compared to what I just checked online. I think I'm gonna go pick one up, and will be sure to post any questions I have here!
Great! Just be sure you get a good tank for it. The tank is everything :) If you can, see if you can try one out in the store before you buy it.

Belts

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Great! Just be sure you get a good tank for it. The tank is everything :) If you can, see if you can try one out in the store before you buy it.
Ah, just when I thought it was gonna be easy. This is the type of stuff I don't want to deal with. XD

It doesn't just come with a tank in the box? If not, how can I tell what a "good tank" is? I mean... the tank just holds the liquid, right?

Also, are they one size fits all? How will I know I'm getting the right tank for my mod? AHH!! So many more questions now. XD

Last edited:

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I tell everyone who wants to know what to start with to get a Subox Mini kit. You can get it for a decent price online, its variable wattage so you can control the power it pushes out, the tank comes with and can use both sub ohm and + ohm coils (the sub ohm coils have a much looser pull and the 1.2 or 1.5 ohm coils are more like a cigarette draw), and its regulated so you dont have to worry about anything exploding in your face. Get the kit, a battery (18650) and a bottle of juice and your all set to go and its easy to set up.

When I first got vaping I had my very experienced buddy recommending me to get an ego style kit, something without variable power and without a removable battery, but I went with the Subox kit and was happy I did. If I got the non variable wattage vape I probably would have gave up with in a day because I had to start low to get my lungs used to the vapor before ramping it up.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ah, just when I thought it was gonna be easy. This is the type of stuff I don't want to deal with. XD

It doesn't just come with a tank in the box? If not, how can I tell what a "good tank" is? I mean... the tank just holds the liquid, right?

Also, are they one size fits all? How will I know I'm getting the right tank for my mod? AHH!! So many more questions now. XD
No, most don't come together - you buy the two parts separately. This makes sense, because people may use the same mod (battery holder) with different tanks. Get something like a Nautilus or a Kanger Subtank to start, unless you can actually test what they have in the shop. You don't want to end up with something so powerful that it puts you off, or so 'meh' that you want to smoke. It's not nearly as hard as it sounds, though - some is just trial and error. And, yes, most tanks that aren't ego style tanks (which is what you have) have a 510 connection, which will fit most mods (box style). And vice versa. There are really two types of connections (assuming you don't a hybrid style, which is less common): ego and 510. There are others, but these are the most common, and any store will pair them up for you.

Belts

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks! One more question, what does the wattage entail? More battery life, harder hits, higher temps, what? I smoke half a pack to a full pack a day, so I need something that's going to feed that craving. Also, I checked their website, and my local store carries these brands:

Vision
Kangertech
Innokin
Smoktech
Smoov

Are any of these particularly good or bad, or are they all basically the same in terms of quality?

rolltidevaper

Still here! Just covered up with "life"
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
@Belts There is a very nice simple starter kit on 101vape.com. It is the iJust Start Plus for 21.99. You get the "mod" (battery), the tank and 2 coils and a charging cable. The only other thing you need is juice! If it works for you, you will eventually need some additional coils which are very easy to find. Also, they have the Kanger SUBVOD kit which is VERY similar. Either are very good starter kits. I started vaping just over 2 years ago and wish something like this were available. I started with and Ego Pen (like the one you pictured) and paid over $50 for the battery and 2 tanks. The other advice I was given, which I believe made the difference was to start high on nicotine level. I smoked "lights" and started vaping at 24mg nic in the Ego Pen. I would not go that high in either of the devices I've suggested here, but I would probably not go below 12mg nicotine to start. You can always decrease it as you go. Best of luck!!!!

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

That's why I suggested the Kanger or Joyetech starter kits .They come with the mod and the tank and an extra coil all you need to buy is a battery to put in the mod and liquid.
They also have a charging cable or most cell phone chargers will work. The wattage is the amount of electricity you supply the tank with and that heats the coil to vaporize the liquid. Once you set it your done. They cost around 50-60 bucks and 10 for the battery.

If you do get a separate tank The Aspire Nautilus Mini is a good starter tank loved by many.

The tank holds the liquid but it also has the wick and coil in it and even though we call it a tank it's really an atomizer that produces the vapor.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like to keep things simple, no screwing around with shit. I've used an MVP(Innokin) and Nautilus tank(Aspire) for a year and a half. I fill the tank once a day and charge it at night. The MVP uses the same charging cable as my phone. I don't like removable batteries, just more to do. Any of the MVP's will do fine with the Nautilus. Set watts between 9-14.

Belts

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
OK there were two guys working in the shop. The younger one just wanted to sell me the most expensive one, but the older guy was more helpful and I ended up getting the Kangertech Topbox Mini Starter Kit. It came with everything except the liquid. I've got it all set up now and it's working great. I just have a couple concerns so far. The instructions say to fill the tank as quickly as possible or else the juice can drip into the air chamber thing. This seems hard to do quickly using droppers while trying not to make a mess. My other concern is the coil in the tank says 15W-50W, yet the default setting on the mod was at 70W when I first turned it on. I have it down to 35W which seems plenty, it just seems odd that the mod goes higher than the coil says that it came with.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Any mod I've ever purchased was set at the max when I turned it on. As far as filling your tank, just fill it and go. As far as I know, the only way to get fluid in the center chamber is to drip it into the center, LOL. I think you'll be happy with that. Vape at the watts that work best for you for taste and vapor. Congrats!

Belts

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks, mate! The shop also happened to carry ***which I've been very interested in trying because I have anxiety issues and suffer from depression. I mixed it in with my e-juice and so far I seem to notice a nice calming effect, but that could just be a placebo or due to the fact that I have nicotine in my system for the first time today. I'm definitely curious to see how it pans out. I'm also surprised that it actually does have a very slight ***taste to it. :p

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yeah, I've heard that, but not wanting to find out for myself, LOL. Also, a note to mention that even though it's legal, it's one of the things not up for discussion here.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
OK there were two guys working in the shop. The younger one just wanted to sell me the most expensive one, but the older guy was more helpful and I ended up getting the Kangertech Topbox Mini Starter Kit. It came with everything except the liquid. I've got it all set up now and it's working great. I just have a couple concerns so far. The instructions say to fill the tank as quickly as possible or else the juice can drip into the air chamber thing. This seems hard to do quickly using droppers while trying not to make a mess. My other concern is the coil in the tank says 15W-50W, yet the default setting on the mod was at 70W when I first turned it on. I have it down to 35W which seems plenty, it just seems odd that the mod goes higher than the coil says that it came with.

A lot of mods when you first get them default to the highest setting.

Why, I do not know. Perhaps their way of proving the 70 watt mod you just purchased is actually a 70 watt mod?

Which is why when I get a new mod, I check the settings before I have my first vape.

I normally vape around 25 watts +/- and I don't want to be surprised with a 60 watt jolt of vape!

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Glad you got hooked up and are happy with it. Glad the older dude was there also.Vape on

Belts

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Before this thread gets axed I'll tell ya'... don't combine your vaping and dope smoking habits.
Never put that stuff in your e-cig juice.
As an ex-smoker, your e-cig is there to help you quit and save your life; it's not a party toy.
I guess I shouldn't have mentioned the-plant-which-shall-not-be-named, but you may want to research ****. It's by no means a "party drug" (it doesn't even contain ***) and it actually has many health benefits.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It' not a case of being anti or unsympathetic but vaping has many detractors and we don't want to give them any ammunition. Plus there are members from all around the world here of all ages with there own sensibilities and this is a forum for e-liquid vaping. By the way did I say welcome to the VU.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Glad you got something nice and hope it works out well for you man, no matter what you put inside the tank. As long as your not smoking, thats all that matters.

As far as the wattage limits on the coil itself, its kind of an "operate in between" kind of thing. On the lower end it wont produce vapor because it wont get hot enough and on the high end it can burn the cotton because its too hot. Use it where ever you want in between. The mod goes over the coil limit because the mod is made to handle more than just that one tank and one coil. Theres several different coils made by Kanger varying from .5 ohm and 2 ohm and everything in between (and maybe lower and higher, wtf do I know), and some are made to fire higher than the one you use.

MagicJosh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Today's vaping is allot better and easy. All you need is an iStick 40 watt or 100 watt and a Griffin tank. You won't be disappointed.

Belts

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It' not a case of being anti or unsympathetic but vaping has many detractors and we don't want to give them any ammunition. Plus there are members from all around the world here of all ages with there own sensibilities and this is a forum for e-liquid vaping. By the way did I say welcome to the VU.
Makes sense, and noted. Anyway, thank you!

Kethiju

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Best do your flavor tastings soon. FDA regulations go into effect this year banning taste bars in vape shops. Straight to the point starter is the Aspire starter kit. It's the ego e-cig on steroids. They come with a tank, mod, charger and some other goodies. About $100 at most vape shops or online a bit cheaper.

Belts

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just noticed after using it again that I could taste a bit of juice on my lips. I took the mouthpiece off and there is a little bit of juice inside, but not enough that it leaks out if held upside down or anything. I probably have been over using it, so could this just be "condensation" or is it a problem?

This also happened with the two vape pens I used previously, so I'm hoping it's nothing to worry about.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I just noticed after using it again that I could taste a bit of juice on my lips. I took the mouthpiece off and there is a little bit of juice inside, but not enough that it leaks out if held upside down or anything. I probably have been over using it, so could this just be "condensation" or is it a problem?

This also happened with the two vape pens I used previously, so I'm hoping it's nothing to worry about.
Normal. Completely normal.

Belts

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What wattage did you say it's on and what coil?
I've had the wattage between 30 and 40... still trying to find my sweet spot. :p

The coil is the one it came with in the starter kit for the Kangertech Topbox Mini.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yeah, just don't let it get a burnt taste. I sometimes get that spitback when my tank is too low. I've heard people say to turn it up if it's happening too much, just don't go so far it burns the cotton in the coil. You'll taste a difference before that happens, though.

VU Sponsors