Become a Patron!

Completely overwhelmed... I just want a vape that will help me quit cigs...

Kethiju

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
I did a little more digging, and that article is out of date. FDA cannot ban the importation of vaping equipment since it was never intended as a cessation device. Furthermore, the FDA cannot regulate any vape product as a drug delivery device under a standing supreme court en banc on the issue. April 2014, the only regulations proposed were ingredient disclosure, not a problem and safety warning stating vaping is not a safe alternative to smoking. While not 100% true, it isn't false either. Nicotine is still in the juices.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You blaspheme all the cig filters... not going to say how butt it would make you think twice about putting them to your lips again.

MagicJosh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A Griffin for a brand new person to vaping? I don't think so LOL
I think new vapers should start with experienced supply's that way they don't need to buy a bunch of garbage beginner crap. I wish I didn't buy a 20 watt istick when I started, I would of saved money. Building a coil is not hard.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For sure don't give up I quit a 50 year smoking habit by vaping.

There is a bit of a learning curve but it doesn't have to be crazy over the top like some of us are.

I'd start with a Kit from Kanger or Joyetech All you'll need is a battery and a few extra coils. I love my Joyetech eVic mini.

Look at someplace like http://www.myvaporstore.com/ to see whats out there and look at the Regulated mod thread.

All you really need to know is how to clean the tank and prime the coil the first time you use it and how to change the coil when it's spent.

By all means feel free to ask questions loads of helpful people here.
50 year habit...damn Angry...well I'm not all that far behind you....have you noticed any change in your ability to breathe and overall health since you started vaping..

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think new vapers should start with experienced supply's that way they don't need to buy a bunch of garbage beginner crap. I wish I didn't buy a 20 watt istick when I started, I would of saved money. Building a coil is not hard.
I hear you...alot of us started when you didn't have a choice, you had to learn how to build,which was great it forced you to learn alot about saftey issues,and it makes you alot more independent and versatile....but to be honest I'm not sure how much longer coils are going to be around....these ceramic heating elements are going to replace them...I wouldn't be surprised to see a universal ceramic heating element developed and people starting to desgin attys around them.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
50 year habit...damn Angry...well I'm not all that far behind you....have you noticed any change in your ability to breathe and overall health since you started vaping..

and that was 2 packs a day plus cigars when I went fishing. About 8 weeks after I stopped smoking and started vaping my doctor said my lungs never sounded so clear. It's easier to ride my bicycle and I used to get about 2 or 3 lung infections a year...haven't had one since I started vaping. As far as I'm concerned vaping saved my life.

Now I can cross the street without wheezing.

Kethiju

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
I'm still a little fuzzy on where the "FDA regulations go into effect this year banning taste bars in vape shops." part is...
I'm trying to find that article again. I'll pm you the link once I find it.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have quite a few friends over 50 who I've helped give up smoking by vaping. I can absolutely guarantee you that for people who've smoked any significant length of time keeping it simple and reliable is the key element to their initial success. I'm the only one I know locally that builds coils and does DIY, but the vast majority of people over a certain age who've smoked for many, many years need to start with basic, simple equipment that does the job without frustration.

I started with a simple Halo setup, and while it's true I've bought a whole bunch of gear since then I don't regret any of it. I was able to quit a 40-year, pack a day habit, and that's really all that matters:p

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

That's you and those that want vaping to be a hobby. The vast majority of vapers around this area don't have the time or desire to chase clouds or flavor.
They want a easy vape not something else to do. Satisfactory is good enough.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

If you read the beginning of this thread you'll see that's exactly why this person was here. They were so bedazzled walking into a vape shop they ran screaming into the night. Fortunately they joined, started this thread and ended up with a Kanger Topbox Kit which is a good starter setup that they don't have to fool with.

Last edited:

Kethiju

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
After an exhaustive search, the FDA regulations regarding taste bars was part of the en banc handed down by the Supreme Court in April 2014. As it stands right now, we're good on that. However, future proposals to the Supreme Court show that the FDA will try to get some sort of approval process in place in the future. Meaning, juice manufactuerers will have to submit formulae and samples for testing at their own expense for every single flavor, which the FDA says will cost millions. This could all just be,pardon the expression, blowing smoke to frighten companies. Since a majority of companies already operate in cleaning rooms for safety of their products, it almost seems moot for the FDA to step in. The industry is self regulating quite well on it's own.

MagicJosh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's you and those that want vaping to be a hobby. The vast majority of vapers around this area don't have the time or desire to chase clouds or flavor.
They want a easy vape not something else to do. Satisfactory is good enough.
I never said anything about chasing clouds. I smoked since I was 14 and Im 36 now. I just quit smoking with Vaping last year. I suggested a istick 40 or 100 watt and a Griffin RTA. If a person wanted to learn to make coils then they must really not have allot of money and do not want to buy pre made coils. The reason I suggested that Is because they can use lower Wattage and then slowly step their game up when they become used to Vaping. If I started with that setup I would still be using it til this date, and would have saved allot of money.

darkangel07760

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have quite a few friends over 50 who I've helped give up smoking by vaping. I can absolutely guarantee you that for people who've smoked any significant length of time keeping it simple and reliable is the key element to their initial success. I'm the only one I know locally that builds coils and does DIY, but the vast majority of people over a certain age who've smoked for many, many years need to start with basic, simple equipment that does the job without frustration.

I started with a simple Halo setup, and while it's true I've bought a whole bunch of gear since then I don't regret any of it. I was able to quit a 40-year, pack a day habit, and that's really all that matters:p
Halo was what finally kept me away from cigs too! I still use my Triton when I am in close quarters with folks and also when I need to travel light.

saytar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
After an exhaustive search, the FDA regulations regarding taste bars was part of the en banc handed down by the Supreme Court in April 2014. As it stands right now, we're good on that. However, future proposals to the Supreme Court show that the FDA will try to get some sort of approval process in place in the future. Meaning, juice manufactuerers will have to submit formulae and samples for testing at their own expense for every single flavor, which the FDA says will cost millions. This could all just be,pardon the expression, blowing smoke to frighten companies. Since a majority of companies already operate in cleaning rooms for safety of their products, it almost seems moot for the FDA to step in. The industry is self regulating quite well on it's own.
Cheep, Cheep that's me......that's why I learned (and still learning) to mix my own juice. They might regulate the companies, but by buying my own basic ingredients and mixing my own I have saved a ton of money. What I make and mix for myself is MY business.........not the FDA or any other alphabet agency LOL.

I'll save my own lungs and life in spite of them.....

Frenchfry1942

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A "mod" was a modified mini flashlight casing that held the battery and switch. Actually, very similar to what we call a mech mod these days. From those mini flashlights, mech mods came along. Then, everything went crazy.

VU Sponsors