Become a Patron!

Compressed or spaced

Bstaab

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use a goon rda and im trying to get maximum vapor. Im using fused clapton kanthal wire 4 wraps at .25 compressed. Now the question i have is what the deal with spaced wraps. Do they change resistance? Whats the benifit. Im very experienced with vaping ive just never used space except for with my TA1 wire. Is there a benifit from spacing my 4 wraps? Will it help achieve more vapor production? I need experience and oppinions please.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
With a clapton it will give a bit more vapor production

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
not much, 1 mm perhaps.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I pretty much stick with the plain Jane Kanthal coil and the way I wrap them I normally end up with about a 1 mm space.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
More spacing means more surface area of wick to draw from and more wire potentially exposed to air flow. Also less concentrated heating.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

gtrpickr

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
what I do is on the rod I wrap the coil I pull/stretch the coil apart and the push /compress it back together and let it spring out it usually comes out with even spacing.

Dutch0hms

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
what I do is on the rod I wrap the coil I pull/stretch the coil apart and the push /compress it back together and let it spring out it usually comes out with even spacing.
Or wrap a piece of 20/22g in between and remove it afterwards, gives u nice and equal spacing.

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
you could also use a bolt with the correct OD and thread depth as well for even spaced coils

Dutch0hms

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
How does this look?

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk
U either wrap it as a parralel coil and remove one piece of wire, or u wrap it like a normal coil then wrap a single piece of 20/22g in between and remove it afterwards. leaves u with a nice and equal spacing ;)

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I use a homemade version of the "Artistic Wire Gizmo".. and wrap my coils under tension. (4lb weight hung from end of wire). for contact coils I orient the wrapping rod so the coil wraps up-hill and for spaced downhill.. Amount of spacing and contact tightness is adjusted by increasing and decreasing rop angle. Makes either perfect spaced coils or NO SQUEEZE contact coils.

theepicpath

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What a bout Bstaab's question on resistence? I think it would go up in resistence, but does it? Has anyone done a dry frie comparison?

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What a bout Bstaab's question on resistence? I think it would go up in resistence, but does it? Has anyone done a dry frie comparison?
Same resistance spaced vs contact or at least so close it doesn't matter. With really wide spacing you could run a little high wrap for wrap.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

knifeguysreview

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use a goon rda and im trying to get maximum vapor. Im using fused clapton kanthal wire 4 wraps at .25 compressed. Now the question i have is what the deal with spaced wraps. Do they change resistance? Whats the benifit. Im very experienced with vaping ive just never used space except for with my TA1 wire. Is there a benifit from spacing my 4 wraps? Will it help achieve more vapor production? I need experience and oppinions please.

if you do decide to space them, there will be more vaporproduction, however, it will be so minute that you probably wont notice it. only space them a very small distance there is no real benefit to having large gaps between wraps.

Th3T

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
IMO it's all down to taste, unless for specific reasons like TC. I am still somewhat new at building (few months), but can build fused,alien,framed staple alien (just made first today). I didn't have anyone really guiding me other than YouTube vids, so I just experimented. I'd do the same. Try spaced and contact/contact with very small spacing and find what you like best (flavor also changes depending what atty your using). From my experience I get better clouds and flavor from contact coils. However most of my builds are aliens now, with fused claptons for RTAs. FWIW running 6 wrap 28gx3/34g ss316l aliens in my goon and at 110w it clouds and has amazing flavor.

VU Sponsors