Become a Patron!

Confused/Frustrated!!

bigt_92

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello everyone, newbie here lol ok I'm completely new to the whole vape experience and am having a very difficult time understanding and feeling comfortable with the whole battery safety issue. I bought an istick Pico 75 with a Melo 3 mini tank, used it for about 3 days (very happy with it so far) and one day I was reading and came across quite a few articles and other posts about battery safety and how it should not be taken lightly. The information claimed to serve a purpose of establishing reassurance that knowing about battery safety should make you feel safer, but for me it seems to have the opposite effect. I'm now TERRIFIED and haven't really touched my device since. I've been driving myself crazy just researching the hell out of battery safety when it comes to vaping (including mooches chart/blogs among many other findings) and nothing I find is reassuring I'll be safe with firing a device with a battery like this so close to my face 20+ times or so a day. I know the basics now (inspect batteries before use, any damage and replace it, use external charger and keep eye on it) but I had no idea this was such a huge issue when it comes to vaping otherwise I may have never bought my device in the first place. I know I sound like I'm overreacting and that batteries going off are complete user error, but for some reason that small possibility is always in the back of my mind, and cannot even enjoy vaping anymore like I did when I was arrogant lol. Not to mention there are too many different equations being thrown around about calculating amp draw from your battery, each one resulting in different answers, so I don't know which one to follow and it's frustrating as hell, so I don't even use it anymore as of now since I really don't feel confident atm in preventing user error, could be because this is all pretty new to me idk. Does anyone else have this issue/did anyone have this issue and eventually overcome it and if so can you give me some tips on how to feel reassured? I just want to be able to enjoy my new vape in peace, rather than stare at it like I've been doing and fearing for my life (I know sounds extreme but I guess that's just me) Apologies for the lengthy post I really just need some clarity, any help would be appreciated.

SpectoVia

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU SWAT
If you are using factory coils with a variable wattage mod and stay between recommended wattage range (usually printed on side of coil) you should be fine.

I believe most of the battery danger issues are in regards to mech mods and crazy self built coils.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Take a deep breath....and relax.... ;)
What kind of batteries are you using (name brand)?
Were they purchased from a reputable vendor?
Are the wraps in good shape, no rips or tears?
Does the mod get unusually warm when you use it?
In all likelihood, you're good to go. There is a lot of conflicting info out there, I agree, but you're using a regulated device that will generally NOT function if there are any problems.
Relax and vape.
Welcome to VU, and congrats on quitting the stinkies!

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hello everyone, newbie here lol ok I'm completely new to the whole vape experience and am having a very difficult time understanding and feeling comfortable with the whole battery safety issue. I bought an istick Pico 75 with a Melo 3 mini tank, used it for about 3 days (very happy with it so far) and one day I was reading and came across quite a few articles and other posts about battery safety and how it should not be taken lightly. The information claimed to serve a purpose of establishing reassurance that knowing about battery safety should make you feel safer, but for me it seems to have the opposite effect. I'm now TERRIFIED and haven't really touched my device since. I've been driving myself crazy just researching the hell out of battery safety when it comes to vaping (including mooches chart/blogs among many other findings) and nothing I find is reassuring I'll be safe with firing a device with a battery like this so close to my face 20+ times or so a day. I know the basics now (inspect batteries before use, any damage and replace it, use external charger and keep eye on it) but I had no idea this was such a huge issue when it comes to vaping otherwise I may have never bought my device in the first place. I know I sound like I'm overreacting and that batteries going off are complete user error, but for some reason that small possibility is always in the back of my mind, and cannot even enjoy vaping anymore like I did when I was arrogant lol. Not to mention there are too many different equations being thrown around about calculating amp draw from your battery, each one resulting in different answers, so I don't know which one to follow and it's frustrating as hell, so I don't even use it anymore as of now since I really don't feel confident atm in preventing user error, could be because this is all pretty new to me idk. Does anyone else have this issue/did anyone have this issue and eventually overcome it and if so can you give me some tips on how to feel reassured? I just want to be able to enjoy my new vape in peace, rather than stare at it like I've been doing and fearing for my life (I know sounds extreme but I guess that's just me) Apologies for the lengthy post I really just need some clarity, any help would be appreciated.

Your Pico and Mello tank are very safe to use - fully regulated mod with an attie with prebuilt coils - much better safety record than cell phone batteries

bigt_92

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you are using factory coils with a variable wattage mod and stay between recommended wattage range (usually printed on side of coil) you should be fine.

I believe most of the battery danger issues are in regards to mech mods and crazy self built coils.
That's another thing, I bought a Sai atomizer (not sure if you've heard of it) which is from what I just found out an RDA and heard those are unsafe if you don't know what you're doing (which I don't, but no one told me about this stuff before hand) my fault guess I should've researched first but it's a sub ohm RDA wax atomizer (I use, or was using, for CBD) my instinct tells me to stay away from it but I love that thing do you know anything about this?

bigt_92

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Take a deep breath....and relax.... ;)
What kind of batteries are you using (name brand)?
Were they purchased from a reputable vendor?
Are the wraps in good shape, no rips or tears?
Does the mod get unusually warm when you use it?
In all likelihood, you're good to go. There is a lot of conflicting info out there, I agree, but you're using a regulated device that will generally NOT function if there are any problems.
Relax and vape.
Welcome to VU, and congrats on quitting the stinkies!
I'm using a Samsung 25 R (seems in good shape but my judgement seems clouded by fear), mod does get warm but never hot (was staying around 35 watts), but I'm always hearing different things and as a noob it's all too overwhelming. Some say battery safety is simple, while others seem to take it way more seriously. Lost as hell

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I'm using a Samsung 25 R (seems in good shape but my judgement seems clouded by fear), mod does get warm but never hot (was staying around 35 watts), but I'm always hearing different things and as a noob it's all too overwhelming. Some say battery safety is simple, while others seem to take it way more seriously. Lost as hell

All of the answers are great - but this one ^^^^ is very pertinent

You have a very safe set up. As long as your batteries are in tact, there is little to fear - and I take battery safety very, very seriously

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All of the answers are great - but this one ^^^^ is very pertinent

You have a very safe set up. As long as your batteries are in tact, there is little to fear - and I take battery safety very, very seriously
^^ This...you're good to go!
I know nothing about the Sai RDA you mentioned though. And looking up pictures didn't inform me much. I hope someone else here is more familiar with that sort of RDA and can chime in. But I honestly think you can put your concerns at ease with the rest of your setup.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
The equations you allude to are more about selecting the right batteries than anything else, equipping you with the knowledge to select what suits your vaping style but you don't need to know that day one that's why this section exists :) Some guys come in here and ask something like hey I wanna build really low resistences and I have a shitty effset battery will that be ok (out comes the scary information you talked about haha

Don't worry too much as long as you buy one of the major battery brands (Sony, Samsung, LG) for that device you'll be fine I started with and still use LG HE4 batteries, have some Samsung 30Q and Sony VTC5A I've even got a pair of AWT IMR batteries that have served me well.

The only time I worry about what battery I use is if I'm pushing the wattage and chain vaping with low resistences but it's rare I do that. Also when using a mech I just stick to VTC5a but that's not something you need to worry about right now.

Like everyone has said above me look for signs of wear and tear on the wrap, or damage to the positive and negative terminals. Look out if the mods getting hot around the battery area (warm is fine and don't confuse this with the atty warming up either that's normal), those kind of things are just common sense everyone should be equipped with. Also not doing silly things like carrying the batteries lose in your pocket with change or other metal objects in there

Lastly I would always recommend charging batteries externally if you can on a decent charger for example nitecore or xtar both offer quality products.

VU Sponsors