Become a Patron!

Confused...TFV8 Baby Beast M2 Coils - Wattage?!

The Juice Loosener

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay, so here's the situation. My parents went away on a week's vacation and, they left the keys to the brand new Porsche. Were they mine? Mmm...well, of course not.

Sorry. It's early and I couldn't help myself. Don't worry if you're totally lost. It just means you probably aren't 35 or older. So seriously, Smok recently released M2 dual coils for the Baby Beast that come in 0.15, 0.25, and 0.3 ohm resistance levels. I've tried two of the three and they're very good. I'd put them above the octuples and neck-and-neck with the X4 for best flavor coil the tank has.

My problem is that every one has a listed wattage of 25-45 with a recommended 35 watts of power. They're made for 3.7-volt mech mods, apparently, but you can use them in VW mods, as well. The first box I bought were either the 0.25s or the 0.3s, I can't remember. Either way, they were pretty good at 35 watts. I went up to 40-45 at the end of their lifespan, but that range worked.

Two or three days ago I got the 0.15s, and 35 watts with them is like using a 0.25 Crown coil at 30 watts. You get about as much flavor as lettuce, and all the pleasure, too! I've been pushing these things up to 60-70 watts and, at those levels, the flavor is outstanding. My question is, Smok doesn't provide different wattages for each resistance, which makes no sense. As I expected, similar power for the different coils does NOT provide a similar vaping experience. Does anybody know what the deal is? I'm just going to vape to taste and not worry about it, but it's awfully strange for them to do, don't you think?

The box for the 0.15s has the same wattage recommendations, even though this pic does not.

Attachments

• M2.jpeg
    M2.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 64

Eskie

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Oh, another U Boat captain (couldn't resist):D

IME, Smok is all over the place with recommended ranges on their coils. It's always how may parallel wires and what kind of airflow did they build it with. I just start out and adjust up until I have what I like. Rarely it's been up to their recommended range, usually a bit below (I do prefer a cooler vape). I am totally unfamiliar with this latest batch as I can't figure out their naming system in the first place. Me, fo all of them. Prime, wait start 20W (lots of nothing but I expect that) up a few watts at a time. If it's some "recommended 75-100W" coil, I'd start low and make my jumps up larger. All of which is generic information hardly specific to Smok, but works for me anyway.

BreSha6869

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
These are specifically made for the Smok Stick mod.

I bought a pack by accident and have tried one in a Big Baby Beast. It isn't the best IMO, but it does work. I found it to be just ok at 35-40w.

Be careful with the recommended range as they can be out to lunch.

The Juice Loosener

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh, another U Boat captain (couldn't resist):D

IME, Smok is all over the place with recommended ranges on their coils. It's always how may parallel wires and what kind of airflow did they build it with. I just start out and adjust up until I have what I like. Rarely it's been up to their recommended range, usually a bit below (I do prefer a cooler vape). I am totally unfamiliar with this latest batch as I can't figure out their naming system in the first place. Me, fo all of them. Prime, wait start 20W (lots of nothing but I expect that) up a few watts at a time. If it's some "recommended 75-100W" coil, I'd start low and make my jumps up larger. All of which is generic information hardly specific to Smok, but works for me anyway.
That's actually a pretty dead-on-balls accurate description of my method, too. I usually tend toward the bottom end of recommended wattages. If it's a less power-hungry coil, I prime and let sit for 5-15 minutes, then start at 20 and go up by 5-watt increments. For heads that require more juice, I start the climb at 25 or 30 watts, but I still draw several 3-second puffs, taking multiple short hits in one press of the firing button, let it cool down, then a 3-second straight draw, then up the power by 5. With Crown 0.25s, I usually take a rest stop around 45 watts, then stop at 60 until it's broken in. After anywhere between a few hours and a day I'll up it to 80 but I never go above that until the flavor starts to wane and I want to pump a last little bit of 'oomph' out of it before I put in a new one. With Crown 2 0.8s I start at 20 and do a slower rise to 35, where I stay for most of the coil life unless the resistance is off by quite a bit and it needs 40 or 45. I spend 75-85% of the time with BB-X4s at 45 watts.

I'm also with you on their naming convention. Aside from the number of coils in the head, I don't think they have a single thing to do with the units. There maybe one exception. I think the Q2 is Daffy Duck calling them "Quappy."
These are specifically made for the Smok Stick mod.

I bought a pack by accident and have tried one in a Big Baby Beast. It isn't the best IMO, but it does work. I found it to be just ok at 35-40w.

Be careful with the recommended range as they can be out to lunch.
I know they were made for the Smok Stick V8 mod, which is exactly why I'm so confused. The stated power range is 3.4-4.2 volts, which would probably be okay for the range of coils (0.15, 0.25, and 0.3), but unless there's some sort of automatic resistance sensor in it, which unregulated mods like this don't have, then the range of power required should outstrip the mod on both ends, right? Normally, with a 0.15-ohm head I'm probably hitting somewhere between 60-100 watts, depending on the number of coils/airflow, but a 0.3-ohm only needs somewhere between 35-60. So how does one unregulated mod adequately cover such a wide range of power requirements without the ability to adjust how much juice it's pumping out? Seriously, try using the same wattage on a VW mod with a Crown 2 0.25 coil and then a 0.8. You're either going to get next to nothing out of the 0.25 or burn the hell out of your throat with the 0.8. I know that's a wider range of resistance, but you get my point. Yet Smok has "25-45 watts (35 recommended)" printed on the boxes of all three. Je ne comprend pas!

Don't get me wrong, I love the coils on my Alien or Sig, but these power ratings make me think they just didn't want to pay the 0.0001 cents per box to change the figures. Sometimes Engrish gets in the way with vaping hardware, as I'm sure we've all seen at times, but that excuse doesn't hold water when you're dealing in numbers.

Oh well, I guess I'll just stop questioning the obvious failure to do some simple testing and conversions and enjoy the things. Thanks for the responses!

yah, I have a box of 0.15 M2's and recently tired a bit from my usual X4 coils on my Big Baby. At 35W, they weren't my cup of tea. I bumped up the wattage to X4 range (recommended BEST of 45-60W) as they are the same resistance, and it's a really good hit. I usually vape it from 45 - 55 in my NX100 and it's a nice change of pace (easier draw than the X4).

Yeah, maybe someone can help me out with this one. Went to grab X4s for my BB, they didn't have any, so I grabbed the M2s they had. I liked a hell of a lot better than the two that came with the Baby. But on first try, my mod wanted to kick in to Temp Control. I tried them with a bunch of settings, knowing they were made for mechanical mods. I found they worked very well with a SS setting on my PD270, and Smok doesn't make TC heads for the baby beast. So that confused me a little. Then I was really confused when I double checked the box. The sticker is totally different from the box... my box says .3 ohms. Sticker says .15, and stainless 000.

So which is it? My mod reads it as .11ohms, and works perfectly in TC mode on Ss settings. Even better that straight vw mode, almost as good flavor and vape as the X4. Pic of the box below. Uhhh pic as soon as I can get this phone to upload one.

VU Sponsors