Become a Patron!

Constant Semi Dry Hit

KenG

Member For 5 Years
Set-up: IPV mini running a RJMOD Cats RDA

This is my first rda, ive watched many many how to build videos and desided to try one for myself. After a few days (on day 3 now) my coils are nice, they glow from the middle to the ends evenly but i always get a dryish hit. I have the same juice in my Atlantis so i know how it should taste around .5 ohms. The builds i have tried are 24/28g A1 Kanthal, single and dual coil builds ranging from .5-.7 ohms. I'm using Japanese Cotton sheets. Only time i got a fairly smooth hit was on a prebuilt 1.1 dual coil set up that came with the package. The coil doesnt touch anything (center post. negative lead or the case that slips over it). Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What diameter are you making the coils?
smaller diameter coils will kill the juice fast, go big diameter like 2.5 to 3 mm in diameter.. cotton snug but not tight and wet.. damn near flood it.

KenG

Member For 5 Years
is about a 2.5 single coil, the cotton was fairly tight and bulky ill rewick it and get back in a few mins, I had plenty of ejuice enough that when i took the wick out i had to rinse it out of the bottom of the base it had a nice puddle.

KenG

Member For 5 Years
rewicked it to a slightly tight, damn near flooded it, 1st hit and the next 2 all taste like cotton :(

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You get it to tight and it chokes the flow.. like spice the juice must flow.
Vape the cotton flavor away it will kick in.

KenG

Member For 5 Years
when i pull the wick out the part that was inside the coil is heavy saturated still, this is my first rda. Ive shown videos on kik to my cousin whos been building for a while the coil doesnt appear to have any hot spots that i can see, but what boggles me is the prebuilt coil which was a 1.4 ish size coil did ok just had to give it a smaller length wick sticking out. Could it have too much wick around the coil? Im leaving about half an inch and tucking it down to the base leaving the bottom and top of the coil exposed to get air flow.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Sounds like there should be slight discoloring when it touches the coils but wet is the name of the game.
Vape like sex.. better wet.

KenG

Member For 5 Years
Here is what it looks like if it helps any.

Attachments

• Coil.jpg
    Coil.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 27
  • coil2.jpg
    coil2.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 29
  • coil3.jpg
    coil3.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 31

KenG

Member For 5 Years
just tried a 1.3 ohm single 28g coil, was slightly better but still a hint of cotton taste FMl
also did a 1.9ohm for shits and giggles still the same...idk if its me or the rda..

Last edited:

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I dont mean to insult your intelligence, but did you clean your rda before you used it? Machine oils taste like shit, and even a small amount of them can taste a little shitty for a long time.

Your build looks good, BUT, is your coil close enough to your air hole? You want that coil as close to your airhole as possible, like 1mm away max imo.

KenG

Member For 5 Years
No insulting done, yes its been cleaned probally 10 times now since ive had to try multiple builds. Generally i clean all tanks/rdas i buy for that fact of the machine oil (i work in a metal fab shop i know its everywhere and tastes bad lol). yes the base has 4 air holes on it and i possition 2 of them just on either side of the coil, maybe 1.5mm max from both sides of the coil. Im kinda wondering now if there is a hot spot on the positive post in the center from a shitty batch of rdas. The guy i bought it off of wants me to bring it in again so he can have his work buddy build on it tomorrow and see if he can get anything to work, if not, hes gonna try a different one of the same model and if its shit too hes gonna swap me out for a different one and some ejuice to cover the hassle if its not me and its the rda :/

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yea, make sure when you are taking a hit, a stream of air is blasting directly on the coil. Sometimes, if your coil is not right in the air stream, It will overheat and taste like crap. If you have two holes open, make sure one is right in front of your coil, and keep the other off to the side.

KenG

Member For 5 Years
yea it has 4 holes total so i sit 1 on each side and the other two would be in the same place on the second coil when its in dual coil, glad i found a good active vape forum! Ill post tomorrow on what we find out, the owner of the shop things its a crappy rda ( can be good but a dud lol)

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Good luck to ya. Let us know what happens.

KenG

Member For 5 Years
Well the guy wanted to mess with the Cats over this week so he swapped me a Omega (sadly its a clone and has clone issues) but i put a similiar build , dual coils .8ohms and it vapes good for a .8 build. Almost the coil set up and wicking as the other and it works good so must be something wonky with the connections on the other :)

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Meh I hate those genny centered posts with screws.. to much wonky bs with them.

VU Sponsors