Become a Patron!

continous or pulse rating?

Timmy

Member For 4 Years
so i've always been told to go by the continuous amp rating when sub ohming. Does this still hold true? I was recently told the pulse rating is a better number to go by.

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
for sub-ohming on a mech, the safer bet is to use the continuous rating. when vaping, for the most part, we are only pulsing. HOWEVER, this is in a perfect world scenario. all it takes is a faulty locking ring or a switch unknowingly coming apart for catastrophe to ensue. having your mod unknowingly *continuously firing* in your pocket with a load on it that exceeds its continuous rating, well...i think you know where im going here.
also, when you are exceeding your continuous rating, small problems can more RAPIDLY become big ones than if you had given yourself more head-room. you give yourself some peace of mind IMO and use the continuous.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
for sub-ohming on a mech, the safer bet is to use the continuous rating. when vaping, for the most part, we are only pulsing. HOWEVER, this is in a perfect world scenario. all it takes is a faulty locking ring or a switch unknowingly coming apart for catastrophe to ensue. having your mod unknowingly *continuously firing* in your pocket with a load on it that exceeds its continuous rating, well...i think you know where im going here.
also, when you are exceeding your continuous rating, small problems can more RAPIDLY become big ones than if you had given yourself more head-room. you give yourself some peace of mind IMO and use the continuous.
I like this advice. I have absolutely no need for the the amps my batteries can push, and that's continuous, but why not have the best possible, especially when cost isn't much different. My builds push 3-4 amps usually tops, but I use 30 and 20 amp continuous rated batteries. I like the peace of mind knowing I'm not even approaching the limit remotely.

So, one more vote for continuous.

VU Sponsors