Become a Patron!

continuous vs pulse

FortyEight

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hoping some of you super sub ohm masters can chime in here. When building super low coils (0.2, 0.1 or lower) are you calculating amp draw off the batteries continuous or pulse discharge? Follow up question, what exactly is a pulse rating with regard to discharge duration? Discharging for less than 1 sec, less than 5 sec, less than 10 sec? The reason I ask is that I have mnke 26650s and am building safely below the 20a continuous rating. They are supposed to have a 60a. pulse, so can I safely build lower resistance if I stay within the pulse rating and limit discharge duration to what is considered a pulse? Or should I just grab some new higher continuous amp batteries before going super low?

BabyFartsMcGeezax

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I always build based on continuous rating, and I use the static Voltage of the battery, 4.2 Volts.

As you go beyond the continuous rating, the safe pulse time becomes shorter.. With a pulse rating, there is also a necessary cool down time. The 60 second pulse rating has been double the continuous on the newer 18650 cells, but that doesn't mean that's the case with all cells.

Grab some better batteries, but confirm they actually have a higher continuous rating..most "vape" cells use some bs Amp rating...like efest- 20 Amp..i.e..

I don't know how hard those cells can be pushed.. haven't gotten into 26650 mechs.. mainly posting for a bump that may keep it going for someone that knows to come by.

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
When ever I'm looking at a new brand or model of cell, I'll see if HKJ has tested it yet, either at CPF or his site lygte-info.dk. Then I'll start doing a bit of research for hard facts. PBusardo can be good for vape related, current battery information sometimes.

Once I've determined the actual CDR, as opposed to the advertized, usually bullshit CDR... I'll be conservative with my margins of safety and figure for a 1.5X momentary (pulse) discharge for 30 seconds. So a true 30a CDR (at the 4.2v constant) is a 45a/30 sec. MDR... which would be acceptable down to 0.10Ω.
Playing it safe? Sure... but as there are so many false claims and weasel-words in play these days (speaking of weasel-words, seen 'Vamped' batteries yet?)... that my trust level is pretty low.

Something often overlooked, but critical at very low resistance... is the accuracy of your ohm meter. At resistances below 0.35Ω I defer to my Sunny Vaping (Now USA Ohm Meter) build box. 0.05Ω error at 0.1Ω is both substantial and potentially dangerous.

VU Sponsors