Become a Patron!

Converting a Regulated MOD to MECH MOD.

IMG_20180902_035838_1535832080637.jpg
So my friend had a Fuchai 213 squonk mod with a damaged chip. Resistance readings were wack, it doesn't fire properly and it was due to careless leakage inside the mod.

I borrowed it to turn it into a Mech mod. So I did.

I just need some final checking before anything else like tips and please point what I may have done wrong with.
MAINLY, is it SAFE to even try?

Also based on the battery I will be using, how many Ohms should I be building?

Sigelei battery.jpg

Important notes:
-Yes, I will put on ample eletric tape one the open wires and solders once I confirm that it is safe enough to test.

-I reused the original switch that was from the chip.

-I extended the wires with:
Hypertech flat cord
Awg 22/2
0.30mm (by the power of 2)(squared)
300v
60 degrees celcius

-I cannot simply replace the chip due to product ordering issues where I'm from.

I am open to all feedback.

Thanks to anyone who will reply.

(I uploaded images of the mod build and the battery I will use) .

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I couldn't find any reliable info on those Sigelei batteries. I they aren't 40A, I wouldn't use them, and I don't believe a true 40A 21700 exists.
Samsung 30T if you want the best 21700 for mech.
https://www.facebook.com/batterymoo...5a-3000mah-batterybottom-li/2091705384452370/

There is no such thing as a 40A battery. If you see a 40A battery DO NOT PURCHASE.. the vendor is lying to you, grossly exagerating the CDR of the cell just to make a sale at a possible cost of YOUR face... not his face.. YOUR FACE.

Those 40A batteries could be a rewrapped 30A battery, but could just as easily be a rewrapped 20A battery. I have even heard of 15A batteries that claimed 35Amps!!! For example, a Samsung 25r is a 20A battery, but it will easily handle a 40A draw without exploding. The test fire was 5 seconds fired, 30 seconds rest. See Mooch's Battery Guide. ALL HAIL MOOCH!!!
I've studied those charts inside and out for the 3 battery types I buy. I only trust 3 brands of batteries. Samsung, Sony and LG because they do not exaggerate specs.
The Samsung 30t is a decent battery, and with 30A cdr can handle a 0.15 ohm coil build within the CDR limits. (See steamengine.org ohms law)

@CMRob no way in hell would I trust that button switch that came with that mod. The tiniest drop of juice can cause those to stick or not fire. You would be better off hitting THE SOURCE for a spring loaded button switch but would have make holes to mount it.

Best bet.. just chuck the box. Mods are so cheap that it really isn't worth trying to salvage one. I did keep the 510 pin and battery door off my old segelei box, but I also purchased the same model. Who knows, i might use the 510 if i ever decide to make my own mod or use as a sample if I can get one made. (Im toying with the idea of a mech that you can buy 2, take off a removable section and join together to make either 2 single cell mods or a 2 cell (or more) series mod . Maybe even join 4.. when Im not vaping, I could jump start a car with it. LOL.. jk)

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is no such thing as a 40A battery. If you see a 40A battery DO NOT PURCHASE.. the vendor is lying to you, grossly exagerating the CDR of the cell just to make a sale at a possible cost of YOUR face... not his face.. YOUR FACE.

Those 40A batteries could be a rewrapped 30A battery, but could just as easily be a rewrapped 20A battery. I have even heard of 15A batteries that claimed 35Amps!!! For example, a Samsung 25r is a 20A battery, but it will easily handle a 40A draw without exploding. The test fire was 5 seconds fired, 30 seconds rest. See Mooch's Battery Guide. ALL HAIL MOOCH!!!
I've studied those charts inside and out for the 3 battery types I buy. I only trust 3 brands of batteries. Samsung, Sony and LG because they do not exaggerate specs.
The Samsung 30t is a decent battery, and with 30A cdr can handle a 0.15 ohm coil build within the CDR limits. (See steamengine.org ohms law)

@CMRob no way in hell would I trust that button switch that came with that mod. The tiniest drop of juice can cause those to stick or not fire. You would be better off hitting THE SOURCE for a spring loaded button switch but would have make holes to mount it.

Best bet.. just chuck the box. Mods are so cheap that it really isn't worth trying to salvage one. I did keep the 510 pin and battery door off my old segelei box, but I also purchased the same model. Who knows, i might use the 510 if i ever decide to make my own mod or use as a sample if I can get one made. (Im toying with the idea of a mech that you can buy 2, take off a removable section and join together to make either 2 single cell mods or a 2 cell (or more) series mod . Maybe even join 4.. when Im not vaping, I could jump start a car with it. LOL.. jk)
30T is a 35A battery 40T is 30A

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I did keep the 510 pin and battery door off my old segelei box, but I also purchased the same model.

I'm finding out, using a Coppervape mechanical myself, that it can be worth saving 510 connector pins. They seem to snap easily on me, or I over-tighten them easily leading to breaking. As a result I have to then pay $3 for repair kits to get an appropriate connector pin, or possibly buy a bulk lot of just pins and hope I guessed correctly on the size.

That switch is not going to survive.

Nope.

Best bet.. just chuck the box. Mods are so cheap that it really isn't worth trying to salvage one.

CopperVape 18650 Squonk Mod

About $22 USD for just the mod on FastTech. I use these for a simple mech squonk and they do real well save for the 510 connector pin issue aforementioned above. That doesn't happen too often, really not much of an issue, minor grumble. Be sure to get the Version 2 repair kits for them, the plastic fire button is different and that seems to be a hitch.

Yep, dirt cheap mods but fairly durable at that. Not worth trying re-purpose, re-use to save bucks but risk blowing yourself up. I agree on the three types of batteries mentioned too. Get my batteries from IMR, not had any problems from them.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
30T is a 35A battery 40T is 30A
NO.. It isn't.
IF you are lucky, it is a mis-represented 30A battery. MOST likely it is an LG 20A battery with a label blatantly designed to trick those who do not know better into buying their crap cells.
Check out Mooch's battery blog for more info..
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/blogs/mooch.256958/
Everything you need to know about batteries.

See also
https://vaping360.com/there-are-no-18650-batteries-rated-over-30a-yet/

Last edited:

diagrammatiks

Member For 1 Year
NO.. It isn't.
IF you are lucky, it is a mis-represented 30A battery. MOST likely it is an LG 20A battery with a label blatantly designed to trick those who do not know better into buying their crap cells.
Check out Mooch's battery blog for more info..
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/blogs/mooch.256958/
Everything you need to know about batteries.

See also
https://vaping360.com/there-are-no-18650-batteries-rated-over-30a-yet/

30t and 40t are 21700s. In a way you are both wrong since the mod uses 18650s and no one was talking about 21700s. There’s always the one guy that’s gotta but in with the well actually when 18650s aren’t specifically mentioned.

But also you are wrong because those are 21700s

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
30t and 40t are 21700s. In a way you are both wrong since the mod uses 18650s and no one was talking about 21700s. There’s always the one guy that’s gotta but in with the well actually when 18650s aren’t specifically mentioned.

OP listed a 21700 battery. The guts have been cannibalized for purposes of a custom build so the original specs are off the table and the battery image posted by the OP pretty clearly lists his battery as a 21700 battery.

diagrammatiks

Member For 1 Year
OP listed a 21700 battery. The guts have been cannibalized for purposes of a custom build so the original specs are off the table and the battery image posted by the OP pretty clearly lists his battery as a 21700 battery.

Well then I’m wrong. But 30/35a 21700s definitely do exist.

Op still isn’t doing anything with that switch though.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/t...700-an-incredible-35a-3000mah-battery.863985/

From mooch...
The 30T is a true 35A 3000mAh 21700 cell that hits harder than any other round battery we use. New cells are always coming out but the 30T is king right now.
unquote

that said.. those are not samsung batteries.

Although now I am wondering if they will fit in my mech mod...
my mistake, i was thinking 18650s

Edit.. nope.. they won't fit :( to long and to wide. Guess I need a new mech.

Last edited:

diagrammatiks

Member For 1 Year
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/t...700-an-incredible-35a-3000mah-battery.863985/

From mooch...
The 30T is a true 35A 3000mAh 21700 cell that hits harder than any other round battery we use. New cells are always coming out but the 30T is king right now.
unquote

that said.. those are not samsung batteries.

Although now I am wondering if they will fit in my mech mod...
my mistake, i was thinking 18650s

Edit.. nope.. they won't fit :( to long and to wide. Guess I need a new mech.

Welcome to 2018 buddy. Get a Kennedy vindicator.

VU Sponsors