Become a Patron!

Cook your juice in the sun!!??

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Got a juice that doesnt want to steep.. when I got it, it smelled just like steamed crab legs....
and I know raspberry cookies aint supposed to smell like crabs.... LOL...

Soooo, I got this crazy idea while thinking about 'sun tea', and put the bottle of juice on
a sunny windowsill for 2 days...

Vaped some today, cuz it didnt smell like crabs anymore, more like cookies, and it's pretty
good, but not quit rip yet...

So, i am going to stick it back on the windowsill another few days...

I know your supposed to keep them in a dark spot.. so I am killing the hell out of that rule.. LOL
I have heard of putting juice bottles in a pan of hot water, but never in in-direct (UV filtered
through glass) sunlight....

Has anyone done this with any success?
I am thinking some juices may be sensitive to excess light??!!

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I recall recently someone put their juice in a box and put the box in the sun to protect the juice from UV but still getting the benefits from solar heat

As for the heating in a pan, I used to sometimes use a slow cooker on low, but don't feel it really makes that much of a difference to go through all that hassle

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The sunlight will, I believe, degrade nicotine.
For stinky steeping, I think the only thing i found that worked was open-topped steeping - let it "air out".
Oxygen contact will also degrade nic, but you've got to let the smelly molecules out of the bottle...

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
The new thoughts on airing juice are to not do it - let time do its job instead

Or so say the mixing gurus - I did it for at least a year though, but have stopped the practice

Can't really say its helped or hindered either way

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The sunlight will, I believe, degrade nicotine.
For stinky steeping, I think the only thing i found that worked was open-topped steeping - let it "air out".
Oxygen contact will also degrade nic, but you've got to let the smelly molecules out of the bottle...

Ok, I hadnt thought of that.. degrading the nic i mean...maybe opening the bottle while it was warm let all
the stinky crab smell out???
I have asked 2 different ejuice manufacturers (Naked and TBDL) about steeping and they both told me their juices
are good to go as soon as i get them.... LOL
I also never see Youtube reviewers talk about steeping.. they sometimes even open the new bottle on camera and
vape it....
then, there are others that tell you to steep for 2 weeks, and even sell pre-steeped bottles...
It's all so confusing... LOL
I normally just let it sit until it smells like what it's supposed to (or at least close).
I figure if it smells good, it will taste good too :)

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The new thoughts on airing juice are to not do it - let time do its job instead

Or so say the mixing gurus - I did it for at least a year though, but have stopped the practice

Can't really say its helped or hindered either way

I havent tried the airing out thing...
It helps red wine sometimes... lol
Maybe ejuice is like wine :)

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I normally just let it sit until it smells like what it's supposed to (or at least close).
I figure if it smells good, it will taste good too

This is the method I would recommend - but I know it's frustrating to want to vape the juice NOW or as soon as possible

All I do is DIY these days, so am used to waiting, lol

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I only ever open-bottle steeped stuff that was horrible smelling on arrival. Usually a vanilla with a real chemical/perfume smell to it.

But me, too - I don't buy anymore, I mix. And my everyday flavor changes a little over about 2 weeks - obvious change in color, and subtle change in flavor. So I just make a batch at some point around my last couple hundred mls, and never need to vape brand new stuff...
:D:D

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have been using a desk lamp with a regular incandescent bulb to aid in speeding up the infusion as the bottles never get above 100°F and no UV Radiation. Makes it easy to give them an occasional shake when they are sitting to my left. UV Light degrades Nicotine so not a good idea to put in direct sunlight.

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have been using a desk lamp with a regular incandescent bulb to aid in speeding up the infusion as the bottles never get above 100°F and no UV Radiation. Makes it easy to give them an occasional shake when they are sitting to my left. UV Light degrades Nicotine so not a good idea to put in direct sunlight.

Ok, do you let them aerate at all?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ok, do you let them aerate at all?

Not at all like I stated in the other thread if I have an alcohol flavoring I might let it breath for a short period of time but never too long. Air and UV Light are 2 things that degrade nicotine. I do not use plastic bottles for long term storage either since I had some retail liquids turn so dark when sitting around for a while at half a bottle.

PS: By aerate I am assuming you mean let the bottle sit open and not aerate by foaming the liquid. When I use the mixer I am very careful not to get it foamy because that is air bubbles.

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not at all like I stated in the other thread if I have an alcohol flavoring I might let it breath for a short period of time but never too long. Air and UV Light are 2 things that degrade nicotine. I do not use plastic bottles for long term storage either since I had some retail liquids turn so dark when sitting around for a while at half a bottle.

PS: By aerate I am assuming you mean let the bottle sit open and not aerate by foaming the liquid. When I use the mixer I am very careful not to get it foamy because that is air bubbles.

Yes to your ps... i think best way to aerate is to slowly pour the juice into another container, then pour it back...
It will get rid of volatile nasties .. sometimes... lol

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It will get rid of volatile nasties .. sometimes... lol

I have found that to naturally let it separate is the best way for me. Heating under the lamp raising the temperature enough and from convection currents the alcohol comes out of the liquid. Open it for a few minutes and close it again. Pouring back and forth IMHO is exposing it to more air. Think of the surface area when pouring it back and forth.

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, I hadnt thought of that.. degrading the nic i mean...maybe opening the bottle while it was warm let all
the stinky crab smell out???
I have asked 2 different ejuice manufacturers (Naked and TBDL) about steeping and they both told me their juices
are good to go as soon as i get them.... LOL
I also never see Youtube reviewers talk about steeping.. they sometimes even open the new bottle on camera and
vape it....
then, there are others that tell you to steep for 2 weeks, and even sell pre-steeped bottles...
It's all so confusing... LOL
I figure if it smells good, it will taste good too :)
i make 500mls at a time withOUT the nic, i mix it with an electric mixer.
nic is added to the small bottle in use when i refill it (100ml bottle) the electric mixer beats the juice into nearly 'foam'.....making it easier for the molecules of flavors to marry . it tends to return to a 'liquid state' in a few minutes and is ready to use. i used to warm/heat my ejuice,, but i gotta say the electric mixer really does the job.

good luck on your journey :)

VU Sponsors