Become a Patron!

Copper King v2 mod by Acerig - stripped the clear coat

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Got this on Ebay.

I love the mod, but the clear coat is a bit iffy. It's already wearing though where my thumb usually goes, and the threads are a bit crap because of the excess clear coat. So, I decided to strip it off using the baking soda boiling method.

Source tut: http://fantes.com/copper-lacquer-removal.html

The recipe:

1 quart of water
1 Tbls. of baking soda

Brought to a boil in a Stainless Steel pan (important that it is non-reactive!), then added the dissembled mod.

Be SURE not to leave in any of the plastic/delrin parts...like the positive pin insulator in the top cap. It is threaded in and screws out..be careful though as there are no spares. ;)

Boiled for 15 minutes moving the pieces around with a wooden spoon occasionally.

The tut said the clear coat would flake off, mine appeared to just dissolve away. A few flaky areas on the threads and bottom of the switch were left. I took a soft dish greeny/sponge to it to be sure and give a slight matte finish.

I gave it a spray all over with a 50/50 white vinegar and water solution to get the ball rolling and then dried it off. :)

Results:

n5yBucvl.jpg

D7Wok7Ml.jpg

XLz3DDvl.jpg

It's hard to tell, but the clearcoat is gone. I'm happy that it is not so damn slippery now.
You can feel the actual coolness of the metal and smell the copper where you could not before. Still isn't patinating very fast, but that's ok. Bonus: the threads are much better now than before. :D

I'll update as I see changes.

BTW, you can see the Copper TOBH RDA was NOT coated at all, it's brown now. A different grade of Copper perhaps?

Last edited:

Gonzi

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
more heat on the rda than the mod too, but yeah, probably different grade of copper has a lot to do with it.

Thanks for the step by step, I have 2 copper mods shipping to me and I was wondering how to gently remove the clearcoat, until now.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
FWIW, here is a pic I took awhile before that...when they were new.

QmrQDWHl.jpg

You can sort of see where my thumb was taking off the coating and leaving a nasty brown spot. Now, that is evening out. :)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Pic taken today:

8j5jWmel.jpg

It's getting a nice coppery color instead of the pink hue it has been. Looking good. :)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Pic taken today, it's getting a nice coppery patina on it now.

I'm trying to move it around while it's on my hand, that way it can not just have blobs of darkness. ;)

9o4X4sll.jpg

I noticed just now that the tubes aren't actually totally smooth, they are slightly milled with microscopic grooves...probably to hold on the overcoat?

(click for full-sized)

Now that it is oxidizing, I can see em and feel them ever so slightly. It's nice...not slippery at all now.

Interesting thing is, the knurled parts don't seem to be losing their shine hardly at all. Gives it a nice multi-tone look with all of the different rates of patination going on. =)

This image was taken using the Flash, so it's not the true color as the above photo shows, but it does show the patination going on rather nicely.

UP1BR9Xl.jpg

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Now it's getting nice. The deeper parts of the knurling are still shiny, so it's a nice contrast. :)

NVcacd1l.jpg

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Got this on Ebay.

I love the mod, but the clear coat is a bit iffy. It's already wearing though where my thumb usually goes, and the threads are a bit crap because of the excess clear coat. So, I decided to strip it off using the baking soda boiling method.

Source tut: http://fantes.com/copper-lacquer-removal.html

The recipe:

1 quart of water
1 Tbls. of baking soda

Brought to a boil in a Stainless Steel pan (important that it is non-reactive!), then added the dissembled mod.

Be SURE not to leave in any of the plastic/delrin parts...like the positive pin insulator in the top cap. It is threaded in and screws out..be careful though as there are no spares. ;)

Boiled for 15 minutes moving the pieces around with a wooden spoon occasionally.

The tut said the clear coat would flake off, mine appeared to just dissolve away. A few flaky areas on the threads and bottom of the switch were left. I took a soft dish greeny/sponge to it to be sure and give a slight matte finish.

I gave it a spray all over with a 50/50 white vinegar and water solution to get the ball rolling and then dried it off. :)

Results:

n5yBucvl.jpg

D7Wok7Ml.jpg

XLz3DDvl.jpg

It's hard to tell, but the clearcoat is gone. I'm happy that it is not so damn slippery now.
You can feel the actual coolness of the metal and smell the copper where you could not before. Still isn't patinating very fast, but that's ok. Bonus: the threads are much better now than before. :D

I'll update as I see changes.

BTW, you can see the Copper TOBH RDA was NOT coated at all, it's brown now. A different grade of Copper perhaps?
Next time just use nail polish remover it takes clear coat off much faster :)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Next time just use nail polish remover it takes clear coat off much faster :)

Well, I'm a guy, so nahhh. ;-)

Baking soda I do have....it worked nicely I think.
And, I didn't have to do any wiping or scrubbing. Just put in the pot, timed for 15mins., rinsed off and voila!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not a great pic, but here she is now..pretty much where it settled out at.
The knurled bits are still pretty much shiny...weird...but a nice contrast eh?

kNccsorh.jpg

Andrew M

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
just got her last week, i think mines an infinite but im not 100% sure, hits like a TRAIN

Attachments

• Kingv33.jpg
    Kingv33.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 15

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
just got her last week, i think mines an infinite but im not 100% sure, hits like a TRAIN

Looking good my man. That's a bitchin' combo too, I use it myself. ;)

Currently, I'm using my Aqua on it and watching football, with beverages....;-)

P1020455.JPG

Scotch is because Scotland is voting for Independence tonight...about fucking time. Only been 600 yrs of tyranny.

Andrew M

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Looking good my man. That's a bitchin' combo too, I use it myself. ;)

Currently, I'm using my Aqua on it and watching football, with beverages....;-)

View attachment 5916

Scotch is because Scotland is voting for Independence tonight...about fucking time. Only been 600 yrs of tyranny.
i couldnt resist the knurling on the drip tip. i got kind of ocd about matching everything haha

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Looking better with the patina.

VU Sponsors