Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That is a tough one, Hoping some folks come along here soon to give you some helpful idea's.
My mind takes me to a shop vice, secure it in with a towel as not to damage it and a pair of pliers with another towel, but not sure what that will do to the threading if forced.

Prsurf2k

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Try the freezer first and then use a piece of leather belt or some such and use it like the pliers used for a oil filter change . Be careful using pilers or vices and such since copper is a soft metal and may warp your ring .

GrayVaper

Drips in Public
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That happened to me with my copper Panzer but I got lucky and it gave in after a few tries. Both suggestions are sound advice. You may want to try a penetrating oil as well, could it hurt?

Webb

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have used the freezer method a few times. After i let it freeze i will apply rubbing alcohol and it will free it up

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I third and forth the freezer idea...it's going to have to sit in there for awhile...like at least a half hour if not a whole one. Before you go for the leather and the vice grips since it is a knurled locking ring I would go for an old plain white cotton t-shirt and bare hand one more try once it's properly chilled. Copper is such a soft metal and if the threads are already locking and seized than if you can do it with your hands the better and try and save them as best as you can....once you do get it unstuck I would take the ring off completely if you and check for burs or shavings to make sure this wasn't cause by any foreign debris left over from machining it out on accident and clean it out of it is. If you have any Noalox I would take a tiny dab and rub a little on the threads then lock and unlock your mod over and over to work the noalox in....too much of the stuff is horrible for a mod, but just a little bit on the threads can help save them and keep conductivity up.

floresroach

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks guys!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

floresroach

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I actually just stuck in in the freezer, gimme a 1/2 hr

cindycated

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also, this is kinda stupid, but the only time that happened to me, I had forgotten that the damn thing was REVERSE THREADED. :oops:
Kept trying to turn it in the wrong direction - when it finally hit me, POOF! Off it went.

Last edited:

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Freezer, eh? Wish I'd have known about this a few weeks ago before I ruined a copper Paragon trying to use a t-shirt between the mod and some vise grips...

floresroach

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Worked like a charm. Sorry I didn't post earlier. But yeah monkey, it worked. So I left it there for about an hour, grabbed two microfiber cloths and boom. I did end up needing two sets of pliers and a lot of delicate maneuvering but it came unlocked in the first twist.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Glad all of us could help bud :) That's a nice mech, I would hate to see it damaged from a sticking lock ring problem

floresroach

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Glad all of us could help bud :) That's a nice mech, I would hate to see it damaged from a sticking lock ring problem

Seriously, it worked like a charm, I took it all apart and cleaned the threads with some never dull, and I LOVE this mech, so far my favorite. And I can't thank you enough for the advice, I wouldn't have known to try the freezer to loosen it up.

VU Sponsors