DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The company I work for is creating a new dedicated department for IT security. I just had my interview for the position of Security Data Analyst, which involves active monitoring, daily log reports from all outside facing systems looking for exploits. End user training on new security policies, and IT project QA to ensure no loopholes.

I walked away from the interview with a feeling that if it goes to an internal applicant, it will be my position. The two other internal applicants work very closely with me. They are both Jr. techs under my supervisory. They both describe their interviews as brutal and walked away feeling beat up. I walked out of there confident and relaxed.

By corporate policy they need to interview at least 3 outside candidates, which has not happened yet. So I pretty much need to beat out 3 people that the Security manager needs to gamble on vs me whom he knows and has worked with for the past 4 years. I just hope that one of the 3 outside interviewers doesn't outshine me.

I hope I get this, it will be a nice step away from the daily grind of infrastructure support.

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks! In addition to a change of pace it has some cool perks. Parking spot, normal schedule, and an office with windows. I'll know within the next couple weeks after the interview the outside candidates.

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey security is what I do

"War,war never changes

Only The Means of Destruction"

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fingers crossed for you DickyT

tumblr_me111dNm0R1qc0231_zpsf0e1e5f3.gif

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey security is what I do

"War,war never changes

Cool! What do you guys use for logging? Do you have host intrusion and wireless intrusion monitoring? If I get the job I will have to learn Splunk, but I love learning new things,so feel up to the task!

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Cool! What do you guys use for logging? Do you have host intrusion and wireless intrusion monitoring? If I get the job I will have to learn Splunk, but I love learning new things,so feel up to the task!
......I do a little different type of security....... Im a armed "gate keeper" I guard the guys that do what your talking about.....I wish it was that cool but nope

"War,war never changes

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
......I do a little different type of security....... Im a armed "gate keeper" I guard the guys that do what your talking about.....I wish it was that cool but nope

"War,war never changes

I was a gate keeper many years ago! I worked for a gated condo complex on the beach. 3 days a week I worked the front gate, the other 2 I was a rover in an electric ATV. The most scared I have ever been was doing rounds up the shoreline during a lightening storm...

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ok different term "door keeper " I have to check IDs,bags ...cars some times.I even use a hand held metal detector before people enter. But when I started with this company. My first site was a aluminum extrusion plant.....it shut down on the weekends.and guess what that was my shift 0000 to 0800.....walkthroughs were creeeeepy man .machines turning on and furnaces cooling and popping and cracking... I almost had a heart attack because a raccoon was stuck on the roof and fell through the air ducts in my office

"War,war never changes

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok different term "door keeper " I have to check IDs,bags ...cars some times.I even use a hand held metal detector before people enter. But when I started with this company. My first site was a aluminum extrusion plant.....it shut down on the weekends.and guess what that was my shift 0000 to 0800.....walkthroughs were creeeeepy man .machines turning on and furnaces cooling and popping and cracking... I almost had a heart attack because a raccoon was stuck on the roof and fell through the air ducts in my office

"War,war never changes

Armed guard is an armed guard. Duties may differ, but at the root it is the same.

If I get this job I will only be armed with logs and network monitoring tools. No guns this round...

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The power is in the paper lol but true .hope you get the job man.it sounds like you would enjoy it.

"War,war never changes

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Wow ...any damages

"War,war never changes

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Wow ...any damages

"War,war never changes

Minimal to the ceiling in the that bedroom, and bent the vent at the top of the house. Not enough to fool with my insurance guy, though. Boyfriend's house was vacant for a while, he rents it out. A family of them took up residence in his attic and caused over $10,000 in damage.

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Minimal to the ceiling in the that bedroom, and bent the vent at the top of the house. Not enough to fool with my insurance guy, though. Boyfriend's house was vacant for a while, he rents it out. A family of them took up residence in his attic and caused over $10,000 in damage.
Holy shit.....sry but that's crazy .....

"War,war never changes

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I imagine so lol

"War,war never changes

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I hate Raccoons. They are cute and all, but about as troublesome as pests get.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That they are. We've gone from Corporate Security to Critter Patrol. Sorry about that, Dicky.

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Good luck Dicky, I hope you get the job !

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks Petyr. My wait may be longer to hear anything, they just fired the HR recruiter... So there is no one to get the required interviewee's in from the outside right now.

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It sounds like a real hassle, from the type where you can't do anything to speed the process up. Well, I am sure that we all hope they will find adequately incompetent interviewees and hire you :D

blipt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I really hope you get it man...I tried the whole IT thing but I didn't really fit in with the guys that did it....only reason I tried it I was kicked out of high school for making a boot disc @ home and restarting the computer @ school therefore taking the security off the school computer....the IT guy seen Cmd open on my computer and just told me to get up and leave the disk.....he printed out many pages of cmd commands I had searched on the internet for kicked out for a week then had to use a typewriter the rest of my high school career......now I'm an industrial welder.....why oh why didn't I stay in School for IT

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well... I did not get the job. I just came from a meeting that thanked me for applying and let me know I was the runner up. The job went to an external candidate with extensive security experience.

They said it is a growing department though and encouraged me to apply again next time there is an opening.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Sorry to hear, but best of luck with the next round or the next company.

And remember, take a lesson from HackingTeam, don't use passw0rd (or other similar variants) as your password *lol*
(for those that missed it, the company HackingTeam recently got hacked, over 400gb of their files stolen and leaked on the 'net)

Raccoons are destructive little critters, but are also pretty darn awesome :)

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well on to warmer sands brother

"War,war never changes

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sorry to hear, but best of luck with the next round or the next company.
There won't be a next company for at least 14 months. I need to make that 5 year mark so my 401k match and stock options are fully vested.

I saw the resume of the candidate that beat me out. Honestly, I would have hired him over me for the position. I am a hell of sys admin, almost 20 years experience, but very limited security centric experience. He has about the same years, just doing cyber security.

Next time!

VU Sponsors