Become a Patron!

Cost of Regular flavors and super concentrates, and why I love DIY

So, got a friend who does only FLV or her own stuff. And seeing as I'm ridiculously new in the DIY game (my first batch hasn't even finished steeping!), I figured, let's break this down.

First recipe used is Cliche, By skiddlsninja https://alltheflavors.com/recipes/1383#cliche_by_skiddlzninja

Second recipe is by Smoky Blue http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/1892957/Smoky Blue's Coco Bezerk

Permission was obtained to do this from both. I went so anal retentive on this, I had to teach myself how to use a spreadsheet. Sorry If it's sloppy or unclear, but eh, it was my first time.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C8OZ2yt80THMKs1_e_ahQHMeTVfzWokXHPL1FR32YEw/edit?usp=sharing

At the end of the day, assuming I use 30ml a week (eh, it's ballpark...), I'm in juice for like 41 or so weeks, for about what i spend on juice at the B&M for a month!

Suggestion on how to clean this mess up, lemme know. And yes, I crossposted this from the exact same thread i put up on reddit.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
At the end of the day, assuming I use 30ml a week (eh, it's ballpark...), I'm in juice for like 41 or so weeks, for about what i spend on juice at the B&M for a month!

that is assuming that you like it :)

But yes DIY is immensely cheaper than buying pre made juice even accounting for throwing some out.
why I always make a 30 ml or less trial batch and see how I like it.

that is assuming that you like it :)

But yes DIY is immensely cheaper than buying pre made juice even accounting for throwing some out.
why I always make a 30 ml or less trial batch and see how I like it.

well, yeah, it's a hell of an assumption. but, i know from the flavor profiles i'll like both.

Also, the genius of the first recipe is that the fa forest can be easily replaced and not alter the main profile. That note was in his original posting of the recipe.

jambi

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Suggestion on how to clean this mess up, lemme know.

You mean the spreadsheet? You want to know to the penny how much DIY costs, and satisfy your anal-retentiveness at the same time? You'll love this:

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/new-calculator-to-try.480587/

Put all the info into it and it will calculate for you. It'll also keep track of inventory amounts, though I don't rely on it for that. If you re-up at a lower price, put the new price in, etc. etc. It has a ton of other features, like steeping time and shit I don't use, but they don't get in the way of its functionality. Regardless, if you've entered prices for your inventory, it'll tell you to the penny how much your recipe/quantity costs. Seeing "Total Cost 0.63 cents/30 ml" is worth the price of admission.

If you like spreadsheets, you can import inventory, recipe, etc. files from this calc.

A few negatives I've found with this calc...

1. If you're used to really simple online calcs, this one will look like a monster of complexity at first, but it's really not.

2, it's labor intensive if you're entering a huge stash of stuff all at once. Best to start using it when you're just starting out and your inventory is small. It's also a bit tedious if you're the type who likes to order 50 new flavors at a time, gotta sit down for an hour and enter everything, but it's worth it to have everything you've got conveniently cataloged. I'm at the point where I can't remember every single flavor I've got. If I'm eyeing a recipe with intent to mix, it takes five seconds to search my inventory to see if I've got the flavors, thanks to this calc, but it definitely took some time to get everything entered.

3. This calc will actually encourage you to buy larger quantities at cheaper prices. For some things it's cool, I was amazed at how my costs plummeted when I started buying glycubes, but I kinda got obsessed with that Cost feature and started overbuying flavors in big bottles. 4 oz of CAP VC1 is no problem, but 4 oz of FA Catalan Cream is a lifetime supply for me. Only problem is the shit doesn't last a lifetime. Sooner or later it'll go bad, which translates to throwing unused product/money away, not saving.

Only regret I have, when I entered my initial inventory of around 75 flavors, I used the exact names, and ended up with similar flavors all over the place. I like to search my inventory to see, for example, what strawberry flavors I have. With names entered like Ripe Strawberry, Wild Strawberry, Sweet Strawberry, Juicy Strawberry, I couldn't find shit. I went back through and renamed everything with the first word as the primary FLAVOR. Now all my strawberry flavors come up in a group when I search. All 38 of my vanillas come up in a nice orderly list when I search Vanilla. Definitely make a practice of doing that. Give thought to how you want it to appear in the drop down list when you name your flavors!

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You mean the spreadsheet? You want to know to the penny how much DIY costs, and satisfy your anal-retentiveness at the same time? You'll love this:

That is a very fine ejuice calculator no doubt but it now suffers a very large negative in my mind ... it has been abandoned by the developer. Obviously that means it will no longer be updated nor is there any support outside of what other helpful users might be able to offer.

Something to consider anyway.

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
cliff notes on that spreadsheet mess? I quickly switched from using 20% flavorings of the popular vendors to 3 - 5 percent of real flavors super concentrates. I can make 100ml of diy for under $2, vs $40/120ml of store bought garbage.

That is a very fine ejuice calculator no doubt but it now suffers a very large negative in my mind ... it has been abandoned by the developer. Obviously that means it will no longer be updated nor is there any support outside of what other helpful users might be able to offer.

I agree, I called it dead software ITT and got lambasted but that is what is.... that being said it is what I am still using until something better comes along.

Yeah, I played with it. my annoyance factors with it are that if i'm not paying attention while trying to scroll through an area, it'll move my flavors around within the recipe. Not cool. Other con is that i'm losing ingredient spaces by switching from ejuicemeup to this one. Don't have many recipes that have more than 8 flavors, buuuut...I hate losing features that occasionally come in handy.

Switching to http://www.thejuicegrinder.com/

Realize I have to pay for the inventory feature, but hell, I know the software's supported, so...15 bucks and i'm good on that front. It's worth the money to me for the lack of hassle, and it's neat seeing graphs generate of your juices and stuff. Just means I make one less flavor this paycheck. I'll manage.

Now, if he'd just work out the import recipe information from web feature...

Last edited:
cliff notes on that spreadsheet mess? I quickly switched from using 20% flavorings of the popular vendors to 3 - 5 percent of real flavors super concentrates. I can make 100ml of diy for under $2, vs $40/120ml of store bought garbage.

yup! I'll still use whatever the recipe calls for, but i no longer have the inherent "pucker" factor on the price tag.

jambi

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

I did not know that. Son of a Bitch!

VU Sponsors