Become a Patron!

Cotton contamination??

mcc1961

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was watching one of the popular vaping youtube posters and he wore gloves to wick up his mod.According to him the bad taste you get from the first few draws off the cotton is oil from your hands.Have any of you ever heard this?

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I taste delicious, maybe that is why I dont use gloves for my own stuff. We all do however secrete oils and cotton is absorbent, so there is plausibility to that. If I were wicking someone else's, I would use gloves as a courtesy. Maybe he tastes worse than others and is more aware of it.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I aint too worried about it. I usually wash my hands before messing with decks. I used to use a little spit on the end of my cotton where I twirl it into a lace. Now'a days people are worried about rincing their stuff in a sink, bottles and such. The minerals in the water might make their way into to the vapor! Oh no! I know my attitude isn't helpful.. If there's a better or safer way to do things, I say go for it, or do what makes you feel comfortable.

When I started mixing my own liquid I used latex gloves because it was suggested. I never got goggles or glasses tho. But after a couple of times, I didn't even bother with the gloves. I'm comfortable without. If I ever get nicotine poisoning or some in my eye, that's on me.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep skin oil can make a bit of a funky flavor in your vape.
Just wash and rinse your hands well before wicking or not as you see fit.
I usetap water for cleaning my vape stuff.

Heck I even use isopropyl alcohol for cleaning out tobacco flavors and such.
Just let it dry for a day or so with plastic and no problemo.

I also used bleached US grown cotton for the first couple years or so of my vape life.

I live life on the edge :)

usually I just do not handle the part of the wick that will remain after trimming and no worries.

Of course if I have been doing mechanic work, etc I MUST wash my hands well before wicking and such.

Last edited:

obijuan77

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
It is possible, I mean cotton does absorb moisture. I would imagine it's more of a problem if you have sweaty/dirty hands before wicking. I just wash my hands, and dry well before installing a new wick. You should be good to go

Grandpa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have done quite a few dangerous things in my life and have survived them. I never thought to worry about how I handle my cotton with bare hands.

Just don't leave the chuck key in the chuck on your metal lathe. That's a big no-no and might get you hurt or killed to death.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's best to have clean hands when handling cotton in my opinion. I've had times where I was in a rush to rewick, hadn't done anything 'dirty' ie used the restroom, ate with my hands, worked outside or anything. The oil from my hands gave it a funky flavor. It wasn't leftover dorito dust or anything obvious. I make sure to use dish soap, a thorough rinse and dry my hands prior to handling wicking cotton. I've also had times I thought my hands were well rinsed (didn't feel slick, no visible suds) and yet it imparted a soapy flavor.

The way I look at it, vaping is personal thing (hence personal vaporizer). It goes in our mouths, we inhale through it, handle it, touch/handle the wicks, if you're a vaper who purges their atomizer prior to inhaling moist breath blows into it and lingers. If it's not someone I'd eat or drink after, share a glass or silverware with (or vice versa) I'd prefer to keep things as sanitary as possible. Just out of common courtesy and err on the side of cleanliness.

So if it were just for my own use or close friends/family, washed hands would suffice. If it was for someone else (customer at a shop) I'd want to wear gloves and preferably not ones with a pungent latex/rubber odor that could get into the wick either. Otherwise for me washing my hands and a good rinse is my preference. Without washing hands the wick tasted funky enough I started over and tossed it. If you're wicking your own atomizer and don't care about dorito dust, doesn't bother you or give a bad enough flavor, more power to you. I'm not gonna bash on others for doing whatever works for them.

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have done quite a few dangerous things in my life and have survived them. I never thought to worry about how I handle my cotton with bare hands.

Just don't leave the chuck key in the chuck on your metal lathe. That's a big no-no and might get you hurt or killed to death.

I can second this. Learned the hard way in high school metal shop. Was lucky I only needed 4 stitches.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
tenor.gif

VU Sponsors