Become a Patron!

Cotton Quest

djk8280

Show Host
VU Live Host
My friend the, TheDrunkenWeeb, is on a quest to create stats for any and all different cotton types for rebuildables. Looking for some eclectic brands and materials used by all of you beautiful vapey type people. Thanks in advance! Please post what your fave is as well as stuff we should pick up to try!

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I started out using Cotton bacon and thought it was the best until someone turned me onto Celtic Cotton, which is definitely an upgrade to me. The shop was out of it one day and I tried Native Wicks and was not impressed, so I went back to Celtic Cotton...recently I've been using Kendo Cotton and it has been the best for me by far...I can vape it back to white without getting the burning dry hit taste. The other one folks around here use is Combat Cotton, but I havent heard very good things about it, but can't speak from experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I am using Japanese "Organic Cotton Puff" (both the brand and description) that I purchased from Amazon for $5 for a bag that will last me the rest of my lifetime. I have also used Ramie Fibre also known as China Grass with good results. I switched from Ramie to Cotton as I just got tired of having to boil the stuff just to be safe.

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have Native Wicks, Walgreens Organic, Labo Puffs, Cotton Bacon, and Rayon in my rotation... all are good.

What I would steer you clear of is the degummed hemp fiber... I think it might have been called ElfWick... it's pretty awful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Cotton Bacon V2 is the best IMO

Native Wicks Platinum, Cotton Candy Cotton, ECGWOW, Vapers Gold, Vaper Choice, Kendo and others are also really good.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Started with Bacon v2, liked NW platinum even more, now I only use Rayon.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

Hey guys I would like some of your input as to what I rate the cotton on so far im rating it based on it
Workability-how well it goes through to coil and how easy/hard it is to pull apart
Heat resistance-if it like to split in the coil or not
Break in-basically how long the break in period is
Longevity-how long the cotton lasts before its all gunked up or splits and is just unbarable

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK, I've tried a lot -
  • Cotton Bacon
  • Cotton Candy
  • F5 Supima
  • Native Wicks
  • Native Wicks Platinum
  • Degummed Hemp Fiber
  • Rayon
  • Muji
  • Cotton Balls
  • Dental Cotton
  • Koh gen Do
  • And a number of others I can't remember the names.

I always go back to Koh gen Do, it's my favorite and very inexpensive. For premium Vape specific brands I find Native Wicks Platinum beats out Cotton Bacon and not impressed what so ever with Cotton Candy. Rayon, it really sucks IMO for I hate the dry throat it gives and yes I can detect a taste and it sucks balls.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another vote for cotton bacon v2.

I have a giant bag of Japanese organic pads I got off Amazon but only use in a pinch.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another vote for cotton bacon v2.

I have a giant bag of Japanese organic pads I got off Amazon but only use in a pinch.
Funny for it's the opposite for me, I re-wick a lot at my favorite B&M which their house cotton is Cotton Bacon. While I could use CB for free I choose my Koh gen Do that I carry around with me ;)

hdtech712

Member For 2 Years
Not to add another part of the equation but I've noticed that different flavors do better on some cotton. Kendo is real good with the tobacco flavors. Native wicks is very good with candy flavors. The square organic pads doesn't really matter the brand they all seem to be the same stuff do pretty good with the fruit flavors. These are just one mans opinion and observations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

f4milytime

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Rayon for me mostly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

ttatlanta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Tried them all, settled with rayon. If you taste or feel something "awful" with rayon wicks, try the same juice with 0 nic, you'd be surprised.

Rayon wicks seem to amplify any impurities with the nicotine base.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Tried them all, settled with rayon. If you taste or feel something "awful" with rayon wicks, try the same juice with 0 nic, you'd be surprised.

Rayon wicks seem to amplify any impurities with the nicotine base.
I guess that excludes Rayon for me since I have bought a lifetime supply of NIC.

ttatlanta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I guess that excludes Rayon for me since I have bought a lifetime supply of NIC.
For as long as your nic is not a cheap crap (I had to switch vendors twice before finding a decent one), rayon is still worth a try. And since $10-15 (depending on location) will buy you a 3-pound box, you might as well get a lifetime supply of wicking… :giggle:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For as long as your nic is not a cheap crap (I had to switch vendors twice before finding a decent one), rayon is still worth a try. And since $10-15 (depending on location) will buy you a 3-pound box, you might as well get a lifetime supply of wicking… :giggle:
Yep, I have about 400 feet left....best wicking for my needs, can't stand cotton.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know it's not cotton, but maybe you can add it to your list:

Silica wicks.

You have to know how to size a coil and thread the wick through it for it to be effective, but when done right, it wicks better than any cotton I've tried and lasts forever. I wick all my (standard) coils with it and I have nothing but good things to say about the stuff.

Next best for me is rayon - aka cellucotton. Specifically the Fiber Freaks brand.

When I do use real cotton, I use Cotton Bacon.

Last edited:

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
People may have a hard time fining FiberFreaks since they stopped production a while back.

Ah, I didn't know that. It's strange because my local vape store regularly restocks it - the old large black packets too, not the wimpy translucent ones.

Anyhow, it don't matter to me, I bought vast quantities of the stuff a while ago, so I have more than enough to last me a very long time :)

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I have Native Wicks, Walgreens Organic, Labo Puffs, Cotton Bacon, and Rayon in my rotation... all are good.

What I would steer you clear of is the degummed hemp fiber... I think it might have been called ElfWick... it's pretty awful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I tried some hemp wick myself and I was AWFUL!

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm happy with Muji joc pads. Even though I wash my hands well prior to messing with wicking I like the pads since I only have to work with smaller portions at a time and don't have to molest the whole bag worth. Less contamination and the remaining cotton stays cleaner. Like anything else, the more you fool with it and use it the worse shape it becomes and dirtier it gets.

Dutch0hms

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ah, I didn't know that. It's strange because my local vape store regularly restocks it - the old large black packets too, not the wimpy translucent ones.

Anyhow, it don't matter to me, I bought vast quantities of the stuff a while ago, so I have more than enough to last me a very long time :)
Stock up while u can if u like it :)

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm happy with Muji joc pads. Even though I wash my hands well prior to messing with wicking I like the pads since I only have to work with smaller portions at a time and don't have to molest the whole bag worth. Less contamination and the remaining cotton stays cleaner. Like anything else, the more you fool with it and use it the worse shape it becomes and dirtier it gets.
Yep, those who complain about the break in period of cotton 99.99% is due to not washing their hands before touching the cotton.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Like @r055co, I have tried most and always go back to KGD.

I do use RediXwick for my DIY flavor testers since I can vape it dry and move on to the next flavor. It's not a daily driver however.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Like @r055co, I have tried most and always go back to KGD.

I do use RediXwick for my DIY flavor testers since I can vape it dry and move on to the next flavor. It's not a daily driver however.

It just works so damn well along with being so easy to use and damn inexpensive, I love that shit!

VU Sponsors