Become a Patron!

Cotton wick questions

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How long does it usually take to "break in" new cotton wicks in a dual coil RDA before they start hitting good..
And how often do you guys re-drip? Thx

from Droid Maxx using Tapatalk

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
They should be good to go once they are saturated with E-Liquid.

As far as adding additional liquid, that is a variable depending on the the RDA you are using, your build and how much you are vaping.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They should be good to go once they are saturated with E-Liquid.

As far as adding additional liquid, that is a variable depending on the the RDA you are using, your build and how much you are vaping.
I'm dripping thick juice from ITC vapes and at VG max it seems to take awhile to fully saturate the new cotton..don't want to burn it! Lol

from Droid Maxx using Tapatalk

pony

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Depends on what cotton youre using. Ideally its unbleached organic cotton. Just because it says 100% natural doesnt make it organic,that just means its not synthetic. Organic is grown without chemical aid: no herbacides,pesticides or fertilizers. Nothing to leave a residual trace in the plant fibers. Unbleached cotton actually has a dirty tinge to its color and they bleach it just to make it brighter and whiter... Cleaner looking. But the bleach or peroxide can leave a trace too,they dont make cotton for us so they dont consider us in their production.
Japanese cotton is a good option, i use a type of cotton that hasnt quite gotten out yet. I get it from one of my customers; she uses it to spin into yarn(no joke). But its natural,non gmo cotton grown on a family owned co-op farm, picked,ginned, rinsed and combed. Thats the extent of the processing and it has no cotton taste what so ever. And it holds a ton of liquid.it can be a little difficult to work with on smaller diameter coils so i do the pillow method on those.image.jpgIt looks like this

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
As much as I would like to help you, I can't.

You are just going to have to learn what works best for you with the liquid you are using and the individual way you vape.

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Organic Cotton balls work good maybe not on par with Japanese Organic Cotton[which is all I use to wick my Russian] but a lot cheaper and a lot more available. Organic cotton balls are usually whitened with Hydrogen Peroxide ,it breaks down into water and oxygen when exposed to air. The Hydrogen Peroxide you buy in the pharmacy Aisle at the grocery store can be used as a mouthwash,I have for years. I use Rayon also,personally if I was worried about chemical residue I would prefer Organic cotton whitened with Hydrogen Peroxide over Rayon.

pony

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Organic Cotton balls work good maybe not on par with Japanese Organic Cotton[which is all I use to wick my Russian] but a lot cheaper and a lot more available. Organic cotton balls are usually whitened with Hydrogen Peroxide ,it breaks down into water and oxygen when exposed to air. The Hydrogen Peroxide you buy in the pharmacy Aisle at the grocery store can be used as a mouthwash,I have for years. I use Rayon also,personally if I was worried about chemical residue I would prefer Organic cotton whitened with Hydrogen Peroxide over Rayon.
Ive wanted to try the rayon but i cant get past the idea of vaping on pantihose.

SusanP4

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ive wanted to try the rayon but i cant get past the idea of vaping on pantihose.

Maybe you're on to something here. :p

pony

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Maybe you're on to something here. :p
i know its not the same thing as pantihose or those bad hawaiian shirts, i just cant get past the relation of them both being rayon based.

SusanP4

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i know its not the same thing as pantihose or those bad hawaiian shirts, i just cant get past the relation of them both being rayon based.

Yeah. I just prefer the idea of using something grown rather than manufactured. Even though rayon is made from cellulose, it's still made from something chemically treated and I don't know what those chemicals are or how well they are removed from the final product.

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
After having tried Both Rayon and Japanese Cotton for a while if have found Rayon works the best for wicking my Russian. I have decided to put aside chemical maybe worries and choose between the 2 by which works best for an atomizer

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cellucotton starts as a cellulose just like regular cotton. It's certainly not rayon that is used in clothing. Been using it for months, JC is good too but it doesn't wick as well as cellucotton and delivers a more muted taste.
CelluCotton also lasts longer between rewicking. It is my preferred wick but I do use both, variety keeps the taste buds awake.

Smacksy, like said it's something you just get to know. There is no amount of time that is universal to all cotton builds. Just saturate, fill the well for the wick to pull up and wait till it looks soaked.
Once running you will taste the flavor leaving and then you have a couple puffs before you get a dry hit. You will get to know the loss of flavor in time and be able to catch it before you dry hit.

Error on the side of keeping it too wet, cant ruin a wick that way.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Generally speaking....because juice travels along the fibres of a wick....the shorter that distance, the faster the juice travels....add in the air space that helps along with capillary action. Rayon/Cellucotton, Ramie, Japanese Cotton, Cotton Bacon..etc have very linear fibres...whilst cotton "Balls" somewhat less so. Also take into account the viscosity of the juice being used, and how that changes with heat.

CgS_Drone

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Went to Sally's today and picked up 500' of Rayon. Hope that's enough to get me through the four day weekend. Well I still have 80 sheets of Ko Gen Do and 80 sheets of Muji and role of CVS cotton also just in case. LOL. Seriously though I will be giving the Rayon a try tomorrow to see how I like it.

skocha361

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
To answer your question:

When I re-wick, I can taste a weird cotton taste for 2-3 refills, then it's gone. This is on a dripper.

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
it used to take a little bit for new cotton to stop tasting like cotton but recently switched to unbleached cotton pads and now it is broken in even before i hit it. expensive but still a deal.

VU Sponsors