Become a Patron!

Could a senior member PLEASE give a SIMPLE RUNDOWN on coils for newbies?!?

When experienced vapers start talking about coils it confuses me even MORE, lol. I'm hoping that someone can give a SIMPLE BREAKDOWN for newbies...and by simple I mean REALLY REALLY simple! ....
"X"= more flavor
"X"= more vapor
"X" is best for high VG
"X" is best at __w
Etc.
I'm VERY NEW to vaping, and I'm ALMOST frustrated enough to just go back to smoking.
My daughter bought me a KAOS spectrum 230w, with baby beast tank, and 4 18650 batteries to get me started.... everything I need, right? Well when I went to get coils for the baby beast, there are 3-4 options, TFV8?, TFV4?, octocoils? .4?, .15? YIKES! When I went in to local vape shop especially, they started to explain about RDA's, sub ohms, etc.
I'm sorry, but I'm just starting, and need a simple, non-technical answer. I realize that it's paramount for safety to learn about ohms, sub ohms, etc, and I'm reading up. But for NOW, I'm just trying to quit smoking, and I NEED a SIMPLE RUNDOWN! Can someone please tell me what kind of coil is ideal for a baby beast on a KAOS, vaping at around 45-70w, using 80/20 vg/pg (and in it for the flavor) and then come up with a "beginner vapors coils for dummies list" Bc I'm DETERMINED NOT TO GIVE UP!!!!!

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
First there is no exact wattage for any coil sorry it doesnt work like that
coils will behave slightly differently at different wattages and what you like and what i like are probably different

for a beginner stay away from quad sextuple and octo coils those in my experience are mainly for cloud chasing but can give good flavor just usually its extremely warm to hot

you probably have the q2 coil pre installed
just get more of them if your are happy with it

stay with the dual coil options available for the tank
the lower the ohm reaidng the more wattage you will probably want to give it
so a .25 would run higher watts then a .4 which will run higher watts then a .6

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
When experienced vapers start talking about coils it confuses me even MORE, lol. I'm hoping that someone can give a SIMPLE BREAKDOWN for newbies...and by simple I mean REALLY REALLY simple! ....
"X"= more flavor
"X"= more vapor
"X" is best for high VG
"X" is best at __w
Etc.
I'm VERY NEW to vaping, and I'm ALMOST frustrated enough to just go back to smoking.
My daughter bought me a KAOS spectrum 230w, with baby beast tank, and 4 18650 batteries to get me started.... everything I need, right? Well when I went to get coils for the baby beast, there are 3-4 options, TFV8?, TFV4?, octocoils? .4?, .15? YIKES! When I went in to local vape shop especially, they started to explain about RDA's, sub ohms, etc.
I'm sorry, but I'm just starting, and need a simple, non-technical answer. I realize that it's paramount for safety to learn about ohms, sub ohms, etc, and I'm reading up. But for NOW, I'm just trying to quit smoking, and I NEED a SIMPLE RUNDOWN! Can someone please tell me what kind of coil is ideal for a baby beast on a KAOS, vaping at around 45-70w, using 80/20 vg/pg (and in it for the flavor) and then come up with a "beginner vapors coils for dummies list" Bc I'm DETERMINED NOT TO GIVE UP!!!!!
Welcome to the VU! :wave:

I certainly understand your frustration. This is exactly why we do not recommend these type of advanced devices for newbies.

I agree with @Mattp169

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I'm with @Mattp169 on the Baby Beast Coil Head, the TFV8 Q2 as the Baby Beast is part of the TFV8 tank line. A dual coil is far more efficient battery charge wise than an Octuple is a battery eating monster. Ohm Rating I'd look in the 0.4 to 0.8ohm rating if they have them, if not, anything over a 0.1 to 0.15ohm most current mods (power supply devices) can fire coils that are that low without error. Most current coil heads come with recommended watt operating ranges, these are just ball park "Averages", as the "End User/You", your nicotine strength (percentage of nic in your juice), as well as the flavor of the juice itself all play part in reaching that sweet spot, no silver bullet settings, just a set of guidelines, listed below...

1) Prime the new coil head, this applies every time you change a coil - Most wicking is made of organic cotton, so any exposed white areas liberally soak it up with juice, sides and down the top of the coil barrel, key here is don't get it to saturated that it puddles up and stays that way or it starts to drip juice off itself
2) Assemble and fill the tank, let it set for a few, very thin liquids this can be 5 to 10 minutes, you listed you are using a thicker 20pg/80vg liquid, so 15 to 20minutes for thicker liquids, do several non-powered (do not press the fire button) puffs, this should finish saturating the wicking as well as create the proper vacuum needed for the tank to operated and alleviate any excess pressure assembling the tank cause to keep things from flooding.
3) Set the watts on you mod (battery/power device) down low, example the coil head rating is say 45 to 85watts rated operating range, here I'd set the watts to about 30 to 35 watts, below the lowest rating, then in short 4 to 5 second puffs begin vaping
4) After 15 to 20 minutes of continuous use, you can begin to start increasing the watts and increasing your draw/puff time in steps, say 5 watt and 1 to 2 second intervals longer, and vape at this level again for about 10 to 15minutes of continuous usage, rinse and repeat this phase until flavor just pops and sets into nirvana level, the coil is the motor of the whole vaping device, just like a new car you have to break it in gently and gradually
5) Caveats and cautions when in step 4, the moment flavor decreases to less than before, or starts to feel anemic and like it is dry after a few hits at a new watt setting, back the watts down to the previous setting, this will be the sweet spot for that coil, the juice thickness, and juice flavor, the dry weak flavor is meaning the wicking isn't really keeping up with that watt setting. Bad situation, if you get a harsh, burning feeling hit or it literally feels like you took a hit off a piece of charcoal, *Red X and Buzzer Sound*, take the coil out and toss it, return to step 1, you've burned and scorched the wicking of the coil and ruined it, don't pass go or collect $200.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The reason why there aren't any such lists is because there isn't a "best" in any of the categories. It's highly subject to opinion.

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
In the Baby Beast, the X4 coil has more restrictive airflow, and probably a good choice for someone quitting the smokes. It vapes fine in the high 40's watts, good flavor, and the coil lasts a while.

The T6 and T8 coils produce more cloud and use more juice. Excluding the M coils for the vape pen mod option, and the rebuildables coil rba option, there are 4 possible coils. Q2, X4, T6, T8. The Q2 is typically preinstalled, and the box may includes a spare T8.

Also, many shops will sell coils individually. You might have to ask, but say you are first trying to find the coil you like best, before spending $20 on a pack. Online is cheaper but you won't often find individual coils for sale.

Ohms and wattage offer guidelines but don't always predict how it will vape, too many variables.

Nice setup for starting out and beyond.

One more thing, the Baby coils last longer when you don't let the juice get too low in the tank. I try to refill at around 1/2 tank.

As for the Kaos, do you have a separate external battery charger? Safest and best way to charge. And the batteries will last longer if you set the led lights so they are not on all the time.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The reason why there aren't any such lists is because there isn't a "best" in any of the categories. It's highly subject to opinion.

My best toasted bread doesn't suit you at all, I love the stuff though and will not make waffles even if you do like them better. :) I think @JuicyLucy eats waffles, go bug her. Shoo! ;)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm sorry, but I'm just starting, and need a simple, non-technical answer. I realize that it's paramount for safety to learn about ohms, sub ohms, etc, and I'm reading up. But for NOW, I'm just trying to quit smoking, and I NEED a SIMPLE RUNDOWN!

Well i think you've probably read we have trouble, even as experts & pros, coming up with a "best of". There's good reason to that too. For example @raymo2u might make up some damn fine coils that are made from Clapton wire, they look real tight and do fine vapoizing juice. Here's me using a bit of bailing twine and I get the same results. He has no idea how I did it, I don't either but it works for me and not him, might work for @DogMan too but few others.

One bit of advice, always try shooting lower than the high you're aiming to hit, build up to it. Don't rush into building coils unless you desire a steep curve. Even having learned a bit you realize wire will often have its own mind. Then, you've got gravitational pull, barometric, humidity, angle of the sun, wind speed, are your shoes tied? All of that comes into play. You may not think it will but it does. I don't mean to sound discouraging. In fact I hope I can encourage.

You might want to try using a juice of 60% PG and 50% VG for a while. It offers you a good balanced vape. Then, if you like more clouds move up your VG. At present i'm using 80-90% VG juice. i also build my coils on RDA as i dislike the tiny tank coils, they hurt my fingers to build and replace, also i lack patience for them. i like macro coils instead. i also have swapped over to being mainly into mech only mods. Cannot tell you my wattage as I'm firing direct off an 18650 battery, got no telex screen only a fire button.

Hang with it too. we can promise it is worth it. :)

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Well i think you've probably read we have trouble, even as experts & pros, coming up with a "best of". There's good reason to that too. For example @raymo2u might make up some damn fine coils that are made from Clapton wire, they look real tight and do fine vapoizing juice. Here's me using a bit of bailing twine and I get the same results. He has no idea how I did it, I don't either but it works for me and not him, might work for @DogMan too but few others.

One bit of advice, always try shooting lower than the high you're aiming to hit, build up to it. Don't rush into building coils unless you desire a steep curve. Even having learned a bit you realize wire will often have its own mind. Then, you've got gravitational pull, barometric, humidity, angle of the sun, wind speed, are your shoes tied? All of that comes into play. You may not think it will but it does. I don't mean to sound discouraging. In fact I hope I can encourage.

You might want to try using a juice of 60% PG and 50% VG for a while. It offers you a good balanced vape. Then, if you like more clouds move up your VG. At present i'm using 80-90% VG juice. i also build my coils on RDA as i dislike the tiny tank coils, they hurt my fingers to build and replace, also i lack patience for them. i like macro coils instead. i also have swapped over to being mainly into mech only mods. Cannot tell you my wattage as I'm firing direct off an 18650 battery, got no telex screen only a fire button.

Hang with it too. we can promise it is worth it. :)
This all is correct but you missed another key point that will matter....Regulated Mod or Mechanical. This is why there are coil builders and advanced builders out there. Most of the market uses Regulated Mods now and they can make just about any coil sing by changing the wattage or voltage for older devices. For a Mechanical device you really have to take into account every part of the coil and how you want it to light u to get the desired vape you want....at first anything in the ball park of .1 - .2 Ohms will satisfy you on a mech but after a while you start going down the rabbit hole looking for better....and thats where advanced builders come into play. Some builds will work better then others and changing the smallest part of a coil can make it better or truly suck....

The "Unique" and crazy looking builds are usually just for a challenge or showing off the skill set, but there are coils that look insane and vape even better....but thats all subjective.

A 6 Wrap/3mm ID 26g N80 Coil will do it for most on both platforms...dropping a wrap will make it hotter, adding a wrap will cool it down some. Find what works for you....good luck!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
For a Mechanical device you really have to take into account every part of the coil and how you want it to light u to get the desired vape you want....at first anything in the ball park of .1 - .2 Ohms will satisfy you on a mech but after a while you start going down the rabbit hole looking for better....a

Not even gotten that far, I'm still hanging around 0,3 to 0.7(R). I use mechs, an older Reo Grand clone today and a brass Coppervape which is still functional. Tried a .03 dual coil build on a single battery mod once. Got scared, took it apart and put a .4 single coil on the deck. Granted like I say, i'm not advanced ... yet.

A 6 Wrap/3mm ID 26g N80 Coil will do it for most on both platforms...dropping a wrap will make it hotter, adding a wrap will cool it down some.

Ah ... Now I'll put that on order from Temco next time. :) ETA: Interesting, seems Temco is out of stock in nichrome 80. Gee, probably not due in part to you buying it all up. *chuckles*

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Not even gotten that far, I'm still hanging around 0,3 to 0.7(R). I use mechs, an older Reo Grand clone today and a brass Coppervape which is still functional. Tried a .03 dual coil build on a single battery mod once. Got scared, took it apart and put a .4 single coil on the deck. Granted like I say, i'm not advanced ... yet.

Ah ... Now I'll put that on order from Temco next time. :) ETA: Interesting, seems Temco is out of stock in nichrome 80. Gee, probably not due in part to you buying it all up. *chuckles*

Ill get you situated ;) I know everything is new and scary but even a .09 on a 20a cell isnt doing any harm...Mooch (our community battery professional) uses 80 degrees Celsius to rate the continuous discharge for batteries. 80C is just short of the temperature of boiling water...too hot to touch! As long as your battery isnt too hot to touch your not even pushing it past its CD rating and they way many of us vape (2-3 second draws) the pulse rating is more relative....Its good your easing into it but dont feel terrified or worry yourself....I dont remember the last time Ive used a Tube or Boxer BF mod with a build higher then .13 ohms...and my all day banger would terrify most...but my cells barely get warm (Sony VTC5a ).

Most LEGIT CELLS (Sony, Samsung, and LG) wont vent unless your seriously draining them way over there Ratings...even dead shorts take time to vent them....there is a good reason you've never seen them in any news for venting/exploding...only rewraps or nameless cells. Use genuine cells from Liionwholesale.com or IMRbatteries.com, they test a handful of each batch to ensure authenticity.

Most Inexpensive place to stock up on wire....Buy the SS Wire here and Kanthal Ribbon Wire. Just email them a Logo and a Name for the logo and use the name when adding items to your cart.
Id get 26g & 24g to start with. Best deal is the 6 x 100ft option for each (will last you a couple years) and be less then $30...
http://www.kbeevapeswholesale.com/apps/webstore/products/show/6973288

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ill get you situated ;) I know everything is new and scary but even a .09 on a 20a cell isnt doing any harm...Mooch (our community battery professional) uses 80 degrees Celsius to rate the continuous discharge for batteries. 80C is just short of the temperature of boiling water...too hot to touch! As long as your battery isnt too hot to touch your not even pushing it past its CD rating and they way many of us vape (2-3 second draws) the pulse rating is more relative....Its good your easing into it but dont feel terrified or worry yourself....I dont remember the last time Ive used a Tube or Boxer BF mod with a build higher then .13 ohms...and my all day banger would terrify most...but my cells barely get warm (Sony VTC5a ).

Most LEGIT CELLS (Sony, Samsung, and LG) wont vent unless your seriously draining them way over there Ratings...even dead shorts take time to vent them....there is a good reason you've never seen them in any news for venting/exploding...only rewraps or nameless cells. Use genuine cells from Liionwholesale.com or IMRbatteries.com, they test a handful of each batch to ensure authenticity.

Most Inexpensive place to stock up on wire....Buy the SS Wire here and Kanthal Ribbon Wire. Just email them a Logo and a Name for the logo and use the name when adding items to your cart.
Id get 26g & 24g to start with. Best deal is the 6 x 100ft option for each (will last you a couple years) and be less then $30...
http://www.kbeevapeswholesale.com/apps/webstore/products/show/6973288

I got some KBee Kanthal Clapton wire I'm about to run out of, bought that on ebay. *chuckles* Also saw some rayon there for wick once. Funny how I've swapped rayon for muji cotton. cotton oddly seems to work up better for me. natural fiber over synthetic i think.

Ill get you situated ;)

Alright master this padawan will try following your invisible footy prints. Starting to figure out how to use this funky night vision google set, thingy. I got taught to track without all this silly stuff, the old way. Probably why i was not quite seeing the path, bunch of techno-mages come on and sweep the trails cold. understand why, need to be sure there's readiness.

.I dont remember the last time Ive used a Tube or Boxer BF mod with a build higher then .13 ohms...and my all day banger would terrify most...but my cells barely get warm (Sony VTC5a ).

Been steering myself toward the Sony VTC line on IMR's site. Will soon have the old rotten Efest batteries i got before knowing better tossed out, Got to playing a little last night, put a daul .6 build of 26awg/ Kanthal 3.5mm ID on. i was not really aiming for any set resistance but was piddling to see how low a 4 wrap got me.

splucked

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Start simple. Don't stress about coils. You'll likely do best with the Q2s and X4s.
I personally favored the X4s in my Baby and Big Baby tanks. Find a juice that you like, stick with one coil for a while and keep vaping. While you're getting used to it, watch a zillion YouTube videos about Smok tanks and coils. You will learn a great deal from them.

I understand your frustration. Beginning vapers get hit with information overload. Vaping has a large learning curve. In the end, absolutely everything boils down to personal preference, which is why it's nearly impossible to give simple instructions. In addition to finding coils that you like, you also have to find a juice you like, a wattage range that you like and a PG/VG ratio that you like. It sounds overwhelming but don't give up. Baby steps is the name of the game.

Regarding Wattage: The coils are imprinted with resistance and a suggested wattage range. Experiment and find the wattage that gives you the most satisfying vape. Flavor and vapor production change with wattage differences. Me? I like a cool vape so I use lower wattage, unlike my brother who vapes the same coils at the highest wattage he can get away with.

Regarding flavor: While coils are a major factor, so is the PG/VG ratio of your juice. A higher PG juice gives stronger flavor. The flip side is that it produces less vapor. I vape the highest VG I can (I make my own juice) and all of the Smok coils handled it just fine. I like high VG because it's a very smooth draw (no throat hit) and produces good vapor. Most beginning vapers want the throat hit and gravitate towards 70/30 blends.

Enjoy your new toy, learn all that you can and whatever you do, don't pick up those cigarettes!

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
"X"= more flavor
"X"= more vapor
"X" is best for high VG
"X" is best at __w
Etc.

There are several types of coils, and you will have to google each one. Basically a Clapton Coil is the simplist "flavor" coil. It resembles a guitar string, with a strand of wire wrapped around a core wire. The main difference in these type of coils, is how the core is built. You can have a single core clapton, double core, etc etc. These coils tend to trap more juice to give more flavor.

A simple basic coil, is one strand of wire, and usually give a lot more clouds

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/how-to-build-you-first-basic-coil-for-new-vapers.298828/ will give you a basic idea of a couple coil types, how they are made, etc. You don't need to build them, but the videos will show how they look inside.

Personally, I think the TFV8s are a bit to advanced for a brand new vaper. But, since you have it.. stick to dual (2 ) coils.
Wattage and air flow are like salt and pepper.. you use them "to taste" Start with low power and work up, to avoid burning your cotton.

Always use brand name batteries, such as Samsung, Sony, or LG. Avoid rewrapped batteries.

To actually quit smoking, you would be better off with a mouth to lung tank. On you puff on like a cigarette. Im sure others on here can recommend a few.

Overall, the best advice is keep it simple and learn as you go.

VU Sponsors