Become a Patron!

Could This Be The Best Pod Device For Beginners?

OhmzRaw

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With pod devices becoming the new ‘in-thing’ and gaining a lot of popularity in 2018, it was about time Renova Vapor came up with their very own pod device to compete amongst the thousands of other pod devices in the market. For those of you that don’t know, Renova Vapor is a division of the popular vape manufacturer, Vaporesso - A company that needs no introduction.
Vaporesso has gained a lot of popularity in 2018 and are responsible for producing some of the best starter kits at affordable price tags. Their Armour Pro mod is still one of my favourite single cell mods to date. Today I will be reviewing their latest pod device called the ZERO.

Vaporesso Zero 4.jpg

Manufacturers Specs:
  • Dimensions – 31mm (Length) by 13.5mm (Breadth) by 80.2mm (Height)
  • All-In-One Pod System
  • Intelligent OMNI Board Mini
  • 2mL Juice Capacity – PCTG (Food safe & BPA Free) Refillable Pod
  • Integrated 650mAh Rechargeable Battery
  • Wattage Output Range: 9-12.5W
  • Minimum Resistance: 1.0ohm
  • Auto Temperature Control
  • Low Liquid Detection
  • Direct Voltage Based Output
  • ON/OFF Button
  • Colourful LED Light Battery Indicator
  • Press-to-Fill (PTF) Mechanism
  • Vaporesso CCELL Coil Technology
  • 1A Micro USB Charging Port
  • Short Circuit Protection
  • No Load Protection
  • Low Resistance Protection
  • Overtime Protection
  • Overcharge Protection
  • ESD Circuit Protection
  • Pass-Through Protection
  • Available in Black, White, Silver, Rainbow, Orange, Arctic Blue, Red, Green, Blue

Vaporesso Zero 2.jpg

Included in box:
  • 1 x ZERO Pod System (650mAh)
  • 1 x PCTG Refillable Pod
  • 1 x 10mL E-Juice Filling Bottle
  • 1 x USB Charging Cable
  • 1 x User Guide
  • 1 Warranty Card

Vaporesso Zero.jpg

Design:
The Renova ZERO features a similar design to Vaporesso’s first pod device, the Nexus AIO. This is a very sleek, flat designed device that is pretty small and convenient to carry around. The ZERO is a simple All-In-One device that requires almost ‘ZERO’ effort from the user. Being a pod device, the only thing you need to do is refill, charge and change out the pods. Vaporesso made use of a 'draw activation' system for this device as well which is a nice touch towards making this device extremely simple and user friendly.

Starting at the mouth piece, the ZERO has a duck-bill shaped mouthpiece which to me feels more comfortable than other mouthpiece designs. The width of the mouth piece as well as it’s symmetrical design makes it very comfortable to use. The pod lacks adjustable airflow options which is fine for a pod device as it’s catered mainly for MTL and High Nicotine e-liquids. The ZERO has a loose MTL draw. It feels looser than the draw of a cigarette but it’s still a MTL vape. Personally, I think it has the perfect amount of restriction to it.

The pod is secured by strong magnets holding it in place. When secured, the pod won’t be going anywhere or falling out. You can pick up the device from the pod and even shake it without the pod coming off. According to Vaporesso, the pod for the ZERO is constructed from PCTG (Poly - Cyclohexylenedimethylene Terephthalate Glycol). Don’t let the long name scare you because PCTG is one of the better plastic materials out there. PCTG has excellent toughness and good heat resistance at ~120˚C. It is also food safe as granted by the FDA, and so will not emit BPA. PCTG also has great transparency and therefore seeing your juice levels isn’t very difficult provided you are not in the dark.

The pod makes use of Vaporesso’s popular CCell Ceramic coil heads which is a massive plus. The use of ceramic coil heads makes the flavour the ZERO produces that much better. I would gladly say that the CCell coils seem to give better flavour than other coils used by other devices. I think every manufacturer should consider offering a ceramic option for their tanks or pod devices.

Vaporesso Zero 1.jpg

Looking at the device itself, it has a really nice and smooth finish. Underneath this beauty lies a 650mAh battery which is a decent capacity to expect from a pod device. Depending on the colour option you settle for, you might get a different finish. The Rainbow colour option has a metal construction as is quite the fingerprint magnet although it looks really good. The other colour options such as the Arctic Blue however, have a matte finish which doesn’t hold any fingerprints and is a more practical option for those that can’t stand fingerprints on a mod. It would’ve been a nice touch if the Rainbow option had some sort of clear coat on it to prevent fingerprints from getting onto the device.

On the side of the device you have a little branding. I had no issues with peeling of paint or anything like that on my device even with heavy usage.

Towards the bottom of the device you have a single adjustment button which is also the LED indicator which let’s you know more or less how much battery life you have left. This LED lights up each time you take a puff and changes colour depending on your battery life situation.
Battery light indicator:
Green – High (Above 70%)
Blue - Medium (30-70% Battery life)
Red – Low (Below 30% life remaining)

In addition to being a battery life indicator, this LED Button can also be used to Switch the device On/Off and can also be used to change the power output.
Operation:
To Switch the device On/Off – 5 Click of the button
To Switch between power modes – 3 Click of the Button

Power Modes to choose from:
Green – High (12.5w)
Blue – Medium (10.5w)
Red – Low (9w)

To view what mode you’re in, simply hold down the LED Button.

Beneath the device is the USB charging port which is capable of charging this device at 1A – a pretty fast charging speed. According to Vaporesso, this device should charge from 0-100% in 45 minutes which is quite impressive.

OhmzRaw

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Using the device:
The first thing you’ll want to do when you get this device is to prime the pod. Being a pod device, priming it isn’t as convenient as you would an RTA, RDA or normal coil head. You will need to fill up the pod and then let it sit for around 15 minutes to fully saturate before you can begin using it. I would recommend refilling it and then while the pod is off the device, cover the airflow and take a few primer puffs to speed up the priming process.
The ZERO makes use of a PTF (Press-To-Fill) system which is actually really nice and mess free. If your juice comes in Chubby Gorilla or Unicorn bottles, this pod should be really easy to refill. You simply place the nozzle on the juice port and press down. This is similar to the system used when refilling gas in a lighter. You may run into issues if your juice comes in glass bottles but Renova do include a 10mL carry bottle so you would need to decant your juice into that bottle before refilling.

Once setup, the Renova ZERO just works from the get go without you having to fidget around. The power output from the default setting is just perfect. You could change it to make it stronger (warmer) or weaker (cooler) but I preferred it at it’s default wattage output.

Vaporesso Zero 5.jpg

How does it vape?

The Renova ZERO has got to be the most impressive pod device I have used. I used pod devices alongside my normal setup last year but since December I have used the ZERO almost exclusively as my daily driver. The flavour you get off the CCell Pods combined with the nicotine delivery is just great. There’s no debating that the ZERO produced the best flavour out of all the pod devices I have tried previously and the power output from the device doesn’t leave you with an unsatisfying vape. I believe that the OMNI Board Mini is the reason why there’s little/no ramp up time when inhaling which is a massive pro for me. The Temperature Control on this device seems to work and you’ll notice that the vapour production will decrease when there’s little liquid left in the pod. The use of TC in the ZERO helps with prolonging the pods lifespan. Speaking of lifespan, the ZERO also has the best pod lifespan I have come across so far. I was able to get throw 15-20mL of e-liquid through a single pod before it needed replacing. Since you don’t go through a lot of juice, that is a pretty great lifespan to get from your pod. Keep in mind that using sweeter juice and higher VG juices will result in a shorter pod lifespan. When I tested out a sweet juice, I was only about to get through 10-13mL of liquid before it started tasting crappy. As for VG ratios, I suggest sticking to juices below 60VG for optimal performance and pod lifespan.

The 650mAh battery is sufficient and is pretty good and it is possible for it to last you the whole day provided you don’t chain vape it or use it at its highest power output. The biggest con I have found for this device was that the charging light doesn’t switch off when the device is fully charged. Sometimes, your light turns blue, indicating that your battery life is below 70% and then you put it to charge. A few minutes later, it’ll be green but you won’t know if it’s 100% or 71% since the LED doesn’t switch off when the device is fully charged. This is an oversight by Vaporesso but not such a major issue that will make me hate the device. Another con was that it only came with a single pod. This is a pretty common trend amongst pod manufacturers but I hope that they move away from this trend and start including a spare pod with their devices.

Vaporesso Zero 3.jpg

Pro's:
  • Great Flavor
  • Great Pod Lifespan
  • Decent Battery Life
  • Small/Compact Design
  • Temperature Control
  • OMNI Board Mini Chip
  • Affordable Price Tag
  • Adjustable Power Outputs
  • No Leaking
  • Mess Free Filling System
Cons:
  • Only 1 Pod Included
  • Charging Light Doesn't Switch Off When The Device Is Fully Charged
  • No Adjustable Airflow Option

Conclusion:
Vaporesso/Renova has created yet another excellent product. The ZERO is probably one of the nicest pod devices available and at a really affordable price tag. The use of their popular CCell Pods make this device a step-up from every other pod device in the market. I believe that this device has what it takes to stand out from the thousands of pod devices flooding the market. If you know of a smoker looking to make the switch, the ZERO should definitely be one to consider. The cheap price tag along with the long-term cost of using this device makes it a very affordable option.

Irked Particle

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Using the device:
The first thing you’ll want to do when you get this device is to prime the pod. Being a pod device, priming it isn’t as convenient as you would an RTA, RDA or normal coil head. You will need to fill up the pod and then let it sit for around 15 minutes to fully saturate before you can begin using it. I would recommend refilling it and then while the pod is off the device, cover the airflow and take a few primer puffs to speed up the priming process.
The ZERO makes use of a PTF (Press-To-Fill) system which is actually really nice and mess free. If your juice comes in Chubby Gorilla or Unicorn bottles, this pod should be really easy to refill. You simply place the nozzle on the juice port and press down. This is similar to the system used when refilling gas in a lighter. You may run into issues if your juice comes in glass bottles but Renova do include a 10mL carry bottle so you would need to decant your juice into that bottle before refilling.

Once setup, the Renova ZERO just works from the get go without you having to fidget around. The power output from the default setting is just perfect. You could change it to make it stronger (warmer) or weaker (cooler) but I preferred it at it’s default wattage output.

View attachment 130103

How does it vape?

The Renova ZERO has got to be the most impressive pod device I have used. I used pod devices alongside my normal setup last year but since December I have used the ZERO almost exclusively as my daily driver. The flavour you get off the CCell Pods combined with the nicotine delivery is just great. There’s no debating that the ZERO produced the best flavour out of all the pod devices I have tried previously and the power output from the device doesn’t leave you with an unsatisfying vape. I believe that the OMNI Board Mini is the reason why there’s little/no ramp up time when inhaling which is a massive pro for me. The Temperature Control on this device seems to work and you’ll notice that the vapour production will decrease when there’s little liquid left in the pod. The use of TC in the ZERO helps with prolonging the pods lifespan. Speaking of lifespan, the ZERO also has the best pod lifespan I have come across so far. I was able to get throw 15-20mL of e-liquid through a single pod before it needed replacing. Since you don’t go through a lot of juice, that is a pretty great lifespan to get from your pod. Keep in mind that using sweeter juice and higher VG juices will result in a shorter pod lifespan. When I tested out a sweet juice, I was only about to get through 10-13mL of liquid before it started tasting crappy. As for VG ratios, I suggest sticking to juices below 60VG for optimal performance and pod lifespan.

The 650mAh battery is sufficient and is pretty good and it is possible for it to last you the whole day provided you don’t chain vape it or use it at its highest power output. The biggest con I have found for this device was that the charging light doesn’t switch off when the device is fully charged. Sometimes, your light turns blue, indicating that your battery life is below 70% and then you put it to charge. A few minutes later, it’ll be green but you won’t know if it’s 100% or 71% since the LED doesn’t switch off when the device is fully charged. This is an oversight by Vaporesso but not such a major issue that will make me hate the device. Another con was that it only came with a single pod. This is a pretty common trend amongst pod manufacturers but I hope that they move away from this trend and start including a spare pod with their devices.

View attachment 130104

Pro's:
  • Great Flavor
  • Great Pod Lifespan
  • Decent Battery Life
  • Small/Compact Design
  • Temperature Control
  • OMNI Board Mini Chip
  • Affordable Price Tag
  • Adjustable Power Outputs
  • No Leaking
  • Mess Free Filling System
Cons:
  • Only 1 Pod Included
  • Charging Light Doesn't Switch Off When The Device Is Fully Charged
  • No Adjustable Airflow Option

Conclusion:
Vaporesso/Renova has created yet another excellent product. The ZERO is probably one of the nicest pod devices available and at a really affordable price tag. The use of their popular CCell Pods make this device a step-up from every other pod device in the market. I believe that this device has what it takes to stand out from the thousands of pod devices flooding the market. If you know of a smoker looking to make the switch, the ZERO should definitely be one to consider. The cheap price tag along with the long-term cost of using this device makes it a very affordable option.

Articulate, informative review! I won one of these in a giveaway & it's on the way now, & your review got me pumped up to try it! :)
I'm really interested to see how the CCell pod performs, & I agree with you from what I've read; as soon as I saw the specs I immediately thought this could be a stand-out pod device among seemingly countless others.

Great job! :)

OhmzRaw

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Articulate, informative review! I won one of these in a giveaway & it's on the way now, & your review got me pumped up to try it! :)
I'm really interested to see how the CCell pod performs, & I agree with you from what I've read; as soon as I saw the specs I immediately thought this could be a stand-out pod device among seemingly countless others.

Great job! :)
Thanks so much for the compliment. The ZERO is hands down the best pod device I've tried. Some of the pod devices I've tried are the Aspire Breeze 2, Infinix, Rolo, Mini Fit, IVPC, VPC and quite a few other ones.

The main points of the ZERO that really makes it stand out for me is:
1. Cost of the device & long term cost of using it - The device is cheap and the pods aren't overly expensive. It's decently priced.

2. Pod lifespan - If you use a juice with 50VG/50PG or 60VG/40PG ratio and little sweetener, you can get about 15mL of juice through a single pod. This is quite good considering the juice you'll be using is going to be high nicotine strength.

3. 1A Charging - This device charges pretty quick and the battery life is decent. It's by no means the best battery life you'll get from a pod device but its decent and should get you through at least half or almost a full day depending how frequently you use it.

4. Adjustable wattage - This is my favorite aspect of this device. The ZERO has the OMNI Board Mini chip which means there's little/no ramp up time and the device has some 'kick' to it. Quite a few pod devices I've used felt very underpowered compared to the ZERO. I like a cool to warm vape and this one really delivers that. You could get a warmer vape if you put it on the highest setting but I use it at medium.

Congrats on winning one of these. I'm sure you will love this device. So far, I have not experienced any issues with the 2 that I have. I've been using them daily without any hassles so that's a pro. I look forward to hearing your thoughts when you get yours :)

VU Sponsors