Become a Patron!

COVID19 Vape Shop Closures - How's it affecting you?

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I'm curious... with all the lock downs and "non-essential" Vape shops being forced to close... how is it affecting you? ... Are you running out of juice?... Are you ordering online now?... out of coils?

Amber Petti

Platinum Contributor
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
The vape shop right down the road from me is closed. That’s where I get my gorilla bottles, tanks, drip tips, and glassware for CBD. I went there the other day to try and get replacement glass for my twister and saw they were closed! I NEED the glass because “someone” in my house dropped my mod and broke the glass... it even had a vape band on it. :facepalm:

ProlineVaper

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
VU Patreon
I'm curious... with all the lock downs and "non-essential" Vape shops being forced to close... how is it affecting you? ... Are you running out of juice?... Are you ordering online now?... out of coils?
I'm in pretty good shape. Got plenty of gear... both factory and DIY coils and juice, a wall full of vapes (regulated and mechanical), freezer full of nicotine, and a dresser full of DIY supplies for juice and coils.
cc8bfb8714523c01e3d6aa88dab9cdd2.jpg
363cd02ba5a732578a4d81121f0de8ba.jpg
3b063b74a4b7220e22d06b7bbb87aa4b.jpg

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I can't answer because I haven't gone to any stores unless it was absolutely essential in weeks now. I have a gallon of VG, a few Liters of PG and Nic plus plenty of flavors but really only making flavorless for my GF and Tobacco for me. The Tobacco I bought a 500 ML bottle of flavor so good there.

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
in my area most are closed now but with deeming they didnt have much anyway... im prepared enough to taper off as i run out of supplies... if i need to.

Vape gear is about the only area that I'm really not concerned about given our current circumstances. I've spent the last 9+ months preparing for May 12, so I'm in pretty good shape, and I got lucky and had just ordered a gallon of PG and 2 liters of VG, so juice won't be a problem for the foreseeable future.

It's funny, as I've been receiving all these orders with all this shiny, fancy new gear, I keep finding all my old stuff as I'm finding a place to put things, and that's all I wind up using. It's like getting surprise vape mail. From myself.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape gear is about the only area that I'm really not concerned about given our current circumstances. I've spent the last 9+ months preparing for May 12, so I'm in pretty good shape, and I got lucky and had just ordered a gallon of PG and 2 liters of VG, so juice won't be a problem for the foreseeable future.

It's funny, as I've been receiving all these orders with all this shiny, fancy new gear, I keep finding all my old stuff as I'm finding a place to put things, and that's all I wind up using. It's like getting surprise vape mail. From myself.
Yep well set for vapeapoclypse myself.
And same here, I have not been very interested in any new vape stuff for a couple of years now and keep on vaping old stuff I like. And also most all of my hardware purchases for the last couple of years has been about finding and buying the obsolete stuff I like to vape with.
I have not bought a new design mod or atomizer in the last couple of years.
And did not join the Pod People movement at all. Main reason? I had converted to replaceable batteries and rebuildables close to 4 years ago. Have been 100% DIY for well over 4 years.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

I hear that - whenever I get shinyitis I just go look through my collection and rediscover why I so loved a piece of gear in the past or can try something new if I really wanna go there :)

But how has B&M closures going? Like many on VU, haven't been in one in years so not a problem for me

Now trying to get VG online, that is a whole other story when you don't live in the Lower 48 - a nightmare

And did not join the Pod People movement at all. Main reason I had converted to replaceable batteries and rebuildables close to 4 years ago.

You were ahead of the curve on the replaceable battery mod movement. That was something that I didn't think about until about six months ago, but took care of real quick. Also part of the reason I started using mechs again, which I hadn't done in probably 5+ years. But bottom line, it doesn't really matter how many Aegis Solos I stock up, at some point, if a board goes bad or something breaks, it's gone. No electronic components in a true mech to go bad on me.

I did buy into pods a bit, but only things I found on the cheap. I found a decent little stealthy pod system for $.99, and got the pods for it for $.25 for a pair of them, so it was an easy decision to pick up a few. Hundred.

But how has B&M closures going? Like many on VU, haven't been in one in years so not a problem for me

The only one that I've ever visited in my area is closed for the time being. It's right down the street from me, so I drive past it regularly, and it's been closed for this last week or so. I don't know about others in my area though. I, like you, haven't been in one for years.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You were ahead of the curve on the replaceable battery mod movement. That was something that I didn't think about until about six months ago, but took care of real quick. Also part of the reason I started using mechs again, which I hadn't done in probably 5+ years. But bottom line, it doesn't really matter how many Aegis Solos I stock up, at some point, if a board goes bad or something breaks, it's gone. No electronic components in a true mech to go bad on me.

I did buy into pods a bit, but only things I found on the cheap. I found a decent little stealthy pod system for $.99, and got the pods for it for $.25 for a pair of them, so it was an easy decision to pick up a few. Hundred.

I have been prepping since before 8-8-2016
I did buy 4 replacement boards for my beloved Kbox mini mods. Back when they were still available.
And being a lifelong techie... And have 10 I think of the mods and still using the first one for 4 years or so daily.
But yes either mech or even mosfet/switchfet type mods which can be repaired are the long lasting choice.
I have been getting parts to make my own switchfets. Even tiny CPU's for programming 5 clicks on and off and battery level indication/shutdown. Doubt if I will incorporate low resistance checks though.

Rooster Cogburn

Memento Mori
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I’ve never been in a B&M vape shop. When I started vaping they didn’t exist around me so I’ve always bought my gear online. I’ve seen some shops pop up in my area throughout the years and thought I may stop in one someday but it never happened. Actually I try to do all my shopping online, it’s just easier, faster, and I don’t have to deal with other people. That’s probably why I haven’t had to change my lifestyle at all due to the current situation. But I love all you guys, just don’t show up on my doorstep, lol.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Vape shops being closed bother me not at all personally. Have not set foot in one for over 4.5 years.
I know it is cause angst for many though.
My sympathy to them.
And same here, I have not been very interested in any new vape stuff for a couple of years now and keep on vaping old stuff I like. And also most all of my hardware purchases for the last couple of years has been about finding and buying the obsolete stuff I like to vape with.
And did not join the Pod People movement at all. Main reason? I had converted to replaceable batteries and rebuildables close to 4 years ago. Have been 100% DIY for well over 4 years.
I hear that - whenever I get shinyitis I just go look through my collection and rediscover why I so loved a piece of gear in the past or can try something new if I really wanna go there :)

Now trying to get VG online, that is a whole other story when you don't live in the Lower 48 - a nightmare
Same here... when I started vaping 8+ years ago there was only one shop about 20 mins from me. I checked it out once, seen the prices, and never went back. All my purchasing has been done online.

I too prepped for the Vape Apocalypse, I think most of you know that. I certainly won't need juice for the next 10 years. Mods.. covered there (internal and external batteries). About the only thing that could end up being a problem for me is coils. I do have enough for at least a couple years, I have a few RDA/RTA's in my arsenal, and I have a couple RTA's for my subtanks (my favorite tank) as well. I just don't have the building experience because I've always preferred stock coils.

@JuicyLucy did you look at Heartland? I'm pretty sure he ships all over and only $16.99 a gal.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
@JuicyLucy did you look at Heartland? I'm pretty sure he ships all over and only $16.99 a gal.

I ended up getting it at LNW - one gallon was $28 after shipping - no one honors free shipping outside of Lower 48 that I could find now that Amazon and ED are price gouging

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm all stocked up from A to Z. I would've been mortified had I not been stocked-up right now. There are online nic vendors who are almost or completely out of stock on nic base.

Who knew that it was a worldwide pandemic that was going to bring vaping to it's knees!!!

The FDA has a much easier job now.

That said, supposedly a doctor made a huge stink about Italy forcing vape shops to close because of the pandemic and, as a result, vape shops in Italy were given the OK to open back up. https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/news/vaping-news/2020-03-23_a-victory-for-italy.html

I don't know if that is true or not. I take anything I read from planetofthevapes with a grain of salt. Their "writers" seem to lack reading and research skills and many of their articles seem to be knee-jerk reactionary entertainment more than informative information.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I was the same way until a few months ago. I got such great friggin ridiculous deals on mods it was insane. But my major motivation for buying new mods was to get some 21700 gear in my stash. I'd say about 2/3rds of my stash now is made up of 21700 mods.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was the same way until a few months ago. I got such great friggin ridiculous deals on mods it was insane. But my major motivation for buying new mods was to get some 21700 gear in my stash. I'd say about 2/3rds of my stash now is made up of 21700 mods.
I specifically avoided the new larger cells as they served me no real purpose since most of my vaping s done at home.
And at low to moderate wattage.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I specifically avoided the new larger cells as they served me no real purpose since most of my vaping s done at home.
And at low to moderate wattage.

That was my first reaction. But then I did some research on the OEM market and found that it is quite possible that in as little as 5-8 years we consumers could start seeing much less availability of decent 18650 OEM cells as the OEM market leans more toward 21700s. The OEM market is what will control what is available since they buy the bulk of these batts.

As the OEM market moves more to 21700, production of 18650 goes down as does availability/selection and prices go up. So I felt that investing heavily in 21700/18650 mods was the right step in future-proofing my stash.

But I digress.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That was my first reaction. But then I did some research on the OEM market and found that it is quite possible that in as little as 5-8 years we consumers could start seeing much less availability of decent 18650 OEM cells as the OEM market leans more toward 21700s. The OEM market is what will control what is available since they buy the bulk of these batts.

As the OEM market moves more to 21700, production of 18650 goes down as does availability/selection and prices go up. So I felt that investing heavily in 21700/18650 mods was the right step in future-proofing my stash.

But I digress.
I can get by with cells from laptop packs if I have to. Larger cells are not suited well for laptops and such.
and since most of my vaping is at my desk and that will increase as my physical decrepitude increases...
Well I could just wire my mod up to a power supply.
but you do bring up a possibility.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can get by with cells from laptop packs if I have to. Larger cells are not suited well for laptops and such.
and since most of my vaping is at my desk and that will increase as my physical decrepitude increases...
Well I could just wire my mod up to a power supply.
but you do bring up a possibility.

Well, that's something I didn't really think about - laptop batteries. Are laptops even that popular anymore? I haven't bought a computer of any kind since 2 years ago when I bought some 10 year old Dell towers on ebay that I refurbished and put back into action. I own one laptop that's about 8 years old. Probably been around 12 years since I bought a "modern" computer.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Laptops are still a thing but being mostly replaced by notebooks and pads I think.
laptop sells are typicall just 4-5 amp cells though. Power tool pack cells are a better choice.
But I think they are going to the larger cells.
In any case I should be good for batteries for about 4 years.
Who knows I may not live that long?
Never actually expected to live this long.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nothing really stuck out of that makes sense
Getting harder all the time to find vape stuff. And not just here pretty much world wide considering the Virus thing.
Of course the looming Deeming regs are a big consideration here.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Getting harder all the time to find vape stuff. And not just here pretty much world wide considering the Virus thing.
Of course the looming Deeming regs are a big consideration here.
Yeah I'm not worried about having no gear, just looking for deals if that makes sense

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I'm not worried about having no gear, just looking for deals if that makes sense

Makes perfect sense I had been doing the same for a few months.
finished looking early this year though, even lightly. If something I like jumps out at me I may get it otherwise done buying.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I go into the one down the street because I have some young friends in there. They're still open.
Shout out to Courtney, Jake, Stamati, Billy and Dylan.

I'll grab a sooper clearance sale item here and there, but I get pretty much everything online. Been taking advantage of ridiculous online sales for several months. I have everything for a couple years. Probably 3. Hardware for the rest of my life for sure. As has been said, mech tubes will last for decades. Some probably for centuries.

The one real issue going forward is batteries. I take excellent care of mine and I'm pretty sure I have those for 2 or 3 years as well. By then, all bets are off.

The one real issue going forward is batteries. I take excellent care of mine and I'm pretty sure I have those for 2 or 3 years as well. By then, all bets are off.

I've heard this mentioned a few times in the last couple of days, and it's something that I never really put too much thought into. I kinda grouped batteries in with cotton and wire as things that will always be available because of other applications, but I'm starting to wonder about that. How often does technology change? There could be a new improved version of the battery tomorrow that will change everything and make the batteries that our stocks of vape gear rely on obsolete.

I may spend a little money in that department and just do my best to rotate through them as religiously as possible...

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've heard this mentioned a few times in the last couple of days, and it's something that I never really put too much thought into. I kinda grouped batteries in with cotton and wire as things that will always be available because of other applications, but I'm starting to wonder about that. How often does technology change? There could be a new improved version of the battery tomorrow that will change everything and make the batteries that our stocks of vape gear rely on obsolete.

I may spend a little money in that department and just do my best to rotate through them as religiously as possible...
The big OEMs are demanding that nobody sell their round lithium batteries individually outside of protected battery packs. That will give further teeth to the inevitable ban by the politicians. Watch. All they have to do to take the kneecaps out of external battery devices is go after the batteries. Sony/Murata, Samsung, LG and Sanyo/Panasonic are making it or will make it easy for them by demanding that same thing already.

LG and Samsung are already on the record.

casketweaver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Stocked up on wick, wire, ordering batteries in bulk now. Juice is spotty here and there. Am I short? No. Do I have enough to hold me over for a year? No. Do I still have my mixing shit? Yes.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
the one thing I'm lacking Is nic

It's getting scarce. Supply chain is disrupted.

River Supply telling folks nic supply is dwindling...

"we are currently unable to fill orders for nicotine in sizes 1 liter and above...Our tobacco supply chain has temporarily shutdown as a result of the [COVID-19] crisis"

Liquid Nicotine Wholesalers has the best price I've seen after heartlandvapes' house nic when you consider shipping costs. They seem to still be in stock, but can't say for sure.

https://liquidnicotinewholesalers.com/100mg-nicotine-liquid.html

https://liquidnicotinewholesalers.com/250mg-nicotine-liquid.html

Heartlandvapes was out of almost all nic last week, but now showing most in stock. Not house brand though.

https://wholesale.heartlandvapes.com/nicotine-solution/100mg.html
Coupon code VAPEMAG = 5% off sitewide. Only good once per account. Not much, but better than 0% :D

Some VG sources are raising prices.
Did a panic buy of PG and VG two weeks ago (7 gallons total) when I saw reports of VG prices going up.

brandon david

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It hasn't effected me either. I haven't been in a shop since around 2015. I was out and about without a spare 18650 and decided to swing in to my local B&M for one and they wanted something like $11-12 for a no-name re-wrap. Nope.

There is one here that is apparently better geared toward hobbiests that opened a couple of years ago but I've never been there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Liquid Nicotine Wholesalers has the best price I've seen after heartlandvapes' house nic when you consider shipping costs. They seem to still be in stock, but can't say for sure.

Heartlandvapes was out of almost all nic last week, but now showing most in stock. Not house brand though.

Coupon code VAPEMAG = 5% off sitewide. Only good once per account. Not much, but better than 0% :D

Did a panic buy of PG and VG two weeks ago (7 gallons total) when I saw reports of VG prices going up.
I bought 2 and a half liters of 50/50 100mg salts from LNW last fall when the sickness scam hit. I already had several hundred mils at the time. 7 gallons is definitely a panic buy LOL!

EDIT:
Not that the sickness was a scam People really were sick and dying, but the way it was used to assault and batter the legit vaping community was a scam if ever there was one.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have enough PG/VG for 3 gallons of 50/50 mix. Around 3+ years worth. With an extra gallon of PG.
enough nic in glass in the freezer for around 30 years.
Enough flavorings in freezer for 3 years at least as well.
At least 5 years worth of cotton and 10+ years worth of wire.
And 3+ years worth of batteries.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Thank you!

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I haven’t been in a brick and mortar for a while, but I do know, that at least two stores also sold tobacco, cigarettes and cbd related stuff. They may still be open. I’m not sure about the rest. So it would not phase me at all, but I do feel for them, being someone who has recently temporarily shuttered a business.

I just went through all my boxes of vape stuff, separating empty boxes from full boxes and putting the empty boxes in storage. I have so much stuff. Way more than I even thought. I’m good. Waaaaaaaay good.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven’t been in a brick and mortar for a while, but I do know, that at least two stores also sold tobacco, cigarettes and cbd related stuff. They may still be open. I’m not sure about the rest. So it would not phase me at all, but I do feel for them, being someone who has recently temporarily shuttered a business.

I just went through all my boxes of vape stuff, separating empty boxes from full boxes and putting the empty boxes in storage. I have so much stuff. Way more than I even thought. I’m good. Waaaaaaaay good.
In KY both tobacco and vape shops are treated the same right now. No in store customers. But can do drive thru and curbside pickup and of course mail.
Cigs and some vape stuff is also sold at convenience stores which are open but must maintain social distancing.
The no hanging out at tables in convenience stores though.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'd have to drive an hour in either direction to get to the closest shops. I used to get excited to go there. Then I found this forum and learned a thing or two. I've been online shopping almost exclusively since.

I've stopped in to both shops sporadically over the years. Both places aren't or weren't really freindly. One shop closed down at the end of February. I asked politely if they'd be willing to share a recipe. The guy acted like he was a celebrity and said he'd sell it for a grand or twelve hundred. No thanks asshole lol.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
7 gallons is definitely a panic buy LOL!

No doubt. It shows you how much faith I have in the people who own this world.

The VG can also be used to make hand sanitizer, if needed. That's why VG prices are rising.

I have enough nic to last me until I'm elderly.

The only thing I didn't stock up on was cotton and wire and batteries. The lack of batteries bothers me, but I don't see a problem with not stocking up on wire and organic cotton.

VU Sponsors