Become a Patron!

Cracking the Boba's riddle.

FrostyMtl

Member For 4 Years
After many attempts and iterations of trying to create something similar to Boba's Bounty; this is my latest:

3-5% Black Jack (DIYFS) (Perhaps it's available in VG)
5-15% 5 Vegas Cigar Regular VG (MVJ)
2-4% Pure (HS)
3-8% Caramel VG (DIYFS)
1.5-4% Dark Plum (25% solution in VG: VZ SC Dark Plum)
1% Dark Honey (10% solution in VG: BF Honey (Buckwheat))
0.5% TA (10% solution in VG: Tobacco Absolute 50% RTS)
+ VG and VG unflavored nic base.

Thinking of adding Vanilla Bourbon (FA) so it becomes reddish after steeping.
Anyone know of a better, thicker, vanilla which turns red after steeping?

P.P.P.S
- Thanks to Smoky Blue for her tip about 5 Vegas Cigar.
- Thanks to LoveVanilla about the info regarding HS Pure.

P.P.S.
Still unsure if I should add 0.5% Malt (NF) in here.

P.S.
Sorry about the inaccurate % measurements, I have several variations of these steeping at this moment.

Any thoughts?

I truly believe that working together, we can crack this one.

I have read many Boba's threads and I believe this one to be closest according to my taste buds :)

Last edited:

Cramptholomew

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
After many attempts and iterations of trying to create something similar to Boba's Bounty; this is my latest:

3-5% Black Jack (DIYFS) (Perhaps it's available in VG)
5-15% 5 Vegas Cigar Regular VG (MVJ)
2-4% Pure (HS)
3-8% Caramel VG (DIYFS)
1.5-4% Dark Plum (25% solution in VG: VZ SC Dark Plum)
1% Dark Honey (10% solution in VG: BF Honey (Buckwheat))
0.5% TA (10% solution in VG: Tobacco Absolute 50% RTS)
+ VG and VG unflavored nic base.

Thinking of adding Vanilla Bourbon (FA) so it becomes reddish after steeping.
Anyone know of a better, thicker, vanilla which turns red after steeping?

P.P.P.S
- Thanks to Smoky Blue for her tip about 5 Vegas Cigar.
- Thanks to LoveVanilla about the info regarding HS Pure.

P.P.S.
Still unsure if I should add 0.5% Malt (NF) in here.

P.S.
Sorry about the inaccurate % measurements, I have several variations of these steeping at this moment.

Any thoughts?

I truly believe that working together, we can crack this one.

I have read many Boba's threads and I believe this one to be closest according to my taste buds :)
If only Boba's was legitimately cloneable. Personally, my bet is that it's EXTREMELY simple. That elusive spoiled raisin bran, with the tobacco backend one of a kind. I've seen "clone" recipes call for everything, including cinnamon and graham cracker. I can't imagine that at all. That VZ dark Honey SOUNDS promising, with the buckwheat notation.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh, goody! Here we go. I've got tons of notes from the 1,200 or so posts on the darkside when folks were trying to crack this (and perps are still doing so; haven't been back to see).

Your efforts and contribution are appreciated, FrostyMtl! Your reference to "spoiled Raisin Bran" was a new on to me, Cramptholomew.

If it's of any assistance, Ben (who called himself 'Porphy' on the forum) came up with this tasty liquid in 2009. Logical thinking follows that the flavors must have been available at that time, hence those released later couldn't be in the original formula.

Ben stated, "I've heard a LOT of feedback about this flavor and what I can tell you is that it is different to different people. I know the 5 basic ingredients to this liquid and I can assure you nobody has come close to guessing them.

"I take every possible precaution to make my juices as user friendly as possible. With Boba's at 40% flavoring already there isn't much to bump. There comes a point with flavor concentrates when too much can be bad thing and falls between a narrow percentage point with juices. The best advice that I have is that there are a multitude of factors that lend themselves to the vaping experience and less than half are juice related while a goodly portion of the rest can still effect what/how you taste a juice.

"Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All My Base
Are Belong To You
"

What a card, eh? He also stated there are no NET tobaccos in Boba's.

If it's of any further interest, the most popular Boba's tribute (out of eight recipes) in a 2012 taste test was as follows:

Boba's Clone #7
Black and Mile Plus 40.0%
(http://www.ecigexpress.com/black-mile-plus-by-tobacco-express.html)
CAP Cinnamon Danish Swirl 20.0%
LOR Almond oil 20.0%
CAP Coconut 7.1%
CAP Graham Cracker 7.1%
Vinegar 5.8%

I'm on the trail as well. If you'd like a copy of all the notes from the posts to which I referred above, you are most welcome to them. None of us knows more than all of us!

Perhaps you can help me; what the heck is "Pure (HS)?"

FrostyMtl

Member For 4 Years
Sailcat,
Hi, Bobas #7 never came close to me.

Here is a link to Hangsen Pure:
http://www.buyhangsen.com/hangsen-hs-pure-flavoring-concentrate-essence-10ml/

This quote is from LoveVanilla in the following thread:
Hangsen flavors | Page 2 | Vaping Underground Forums
"I mixed HG Pure at 8% -- my default with new Hangsen tobaccos. I'm tasting a mild bright-leaf tobacco, sun-dried with hints of raisins and honey. Some may well enjoy this as an ADV."

Cramptholomew,
That honey is my 1:10 dilution in VG of Baker Flavors Honey (Buckwheat), my favorite honey, FA's Honey comes in second.

I guess that a big part of the secret is Ben's tobacco base.

The other day, I opened a one year old original 30 ml Boba's that was never opened before and tasted a drop on my tongue. It tasted predominantly caramel or butterscotch mixed with prune or plum, hence the mix in the OP.
Since tasting the prune, plum, that way, I taste it even more now when vaping the liquid.

Cramptholomew

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The prune explains the raisin part or the raisin bran. The reason I said "spoiled" is that there's a slight sourness, but it's slight. That recipe with the Caps cinnamon Danish doesn't even come close to me. I haven't bought enough Chinese tobacco flavors to try my hand a duplication, but knowing how weak a lot of hangsen flavors are, the 40% flavoring isn't unreasonable to me.

FrostyMtl

Member For 4 Years
DIY Flavor Shack was around back then,
That's why I choose the BlackJack and VG Caramel flavorings.

The Hangsen was chosen because of its tobacco taste and viscosity.

VZ SC Dark Plum is in all probability sourced from China and could have been available back then.

Added the BF Honey because I like it and to gives the liquid a dark sweetness.

The 5 Vegas Cigar NET was added for its NET element to perhaps simulate the tobacco base:

"Alien Visions E-Juice gets all of its flavorings from a variety of American sourced providers, such a mix that the list would be long and inappropriate to list here. However, our BASE nicotine liquid (unflavored) does come from overseas, two labs in fact that are kept in contention with each other so I get the best rates. However, neither of these are Dekang, nor does any of the flavoring come from a Dekang source nor is it derived from Dekang...in ANY way. Our tobacco line does get a natural/synthetic mixed nic-liquid which retains a strong tobacco natural flavoring.. again still not Dekang/Boge/etc. I hope this helps clear up some people's information. The internet is prey to half-truths that get filled in with opinion and conjecture. This is expected and, I thought, widely recognized. It's not that anyone is wrong, it simply that when information lays stagnant or doesn't get updated regularly it tends to change through retelling. This is what I have let happen to my information by being a bit distant as of late with my customers. Best wishes to you - Ben"

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
The prune explains the raisin part or the raisin bran. The reason I said "spoiled" is that there's a slight sourness, but it's slight. That recipe with the Caps cinnamon Danish doesn't even come close to me. I haven't bought enough Chinese tobacco flavors to try my hand a duplication, but knowing how weak a lot of hangsen flavors are, the 40% flavoring isn't unreasonable to me.
You just gave me some information I was looking for. I have a recipe in my head, that I'd like to make. However, I never found any idea on how to create a raisin taste. So far I haven't found any raisin flavor. Prune or plum might help though.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
wtf aint china just doing a chemical breakdown of the best selling eliquids and cloning them, then there would be no need for this lol

FrostyMtl

Member For 4 Years
HS:
When I am in the mood for tobacco vapes, I use Hangsen tobacco flavoring at 2-3.5% and, to me, they taste strong.

Raisin:
I tried NF raisin and TPA raisin. Did not like the Natures Flavors one.
What worked for me was using a 1:10 dilution of the TPA one at 1-2%.

Plum:
I tried all kinds of Plum for this recipe.
LA Plum
NF Plum
HS Plum

Hangsen Plum was good, but not what I wanted.
The others just did not work.
Ideally, I wanted a Prune flavor, but lost patience and did not want to buy from yet another new source.
Settled for VZ SC Dark Plum, remember, the flavors should be PG free.

Last edited:

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This exchange is exquisite, I see I have more notes to take.

I'll try to sit here quietly despite my nature to do otherwise.

Semi Reduction

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've played with TFA raisin a bit. Anything over 0.5% tastes kinda rank and smells like old socks. At 0.25% it's a good additive though

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hmm, I always thought the Boba's # 7 was very close to tasting like the original recipe. I think people mess up on mixing it because it is a tricky one if you don't make it 100 ml. I have the correct break down.

exodus

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The best Bobas clones that i have tried always had one thing in common

%2 apple cider vinegar

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Must be the # 7 because it has that.

The ingredients are percentages, wally, that add up to 100. One can make any amount as long as the percentages remain the same. As far as having the "correct break down," the above is a copy & paste from the original thread on the subject. And that is, indeed, old #7 with Vinegar at 5.8%. :)

I'm anxious to hear more from @FrostyMtl regarding his research .

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The ingredients are percentages, wally, that add up to 100. One can make any amount as long as the percentages remain the same. As far as having the "correct break down," the above is a copy & paste from the original thread on the subject. And that is, indeed, old #7 with Vinegar at 5.8%. :)

I'm anxious to hear more from @FrostyMtl regarding his research .
Yes I know I have been making it every since this was listed.(not for me I'm tired of it) But you are correct on the vinegar at 5.8 %. I know very well how to do the % not a problem for me. But in reading the old forums there as a lot of confusion on this one.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oops, sorry, wally; I misunderstood your earlier post.

Tired of Boba's? Could happen, I suppose, but it hasn't happened to me over the years.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh, goody! Here we go. I've got tons of notes from the 1,200 or so posts on the darkside when folks were trying to crack this (and perps are still doing so; haven't been back to see).

Your efforts and contribution are appreciated, FrostyMtl! Your reference to "spoiled Raisin Bran" was a new on to me, Cramptholomew.

If it's of any assistance, Ben (who called himself 'Porphy' on the forum) came up with this tasty liquid in 2009. Logical thinking follows that the flavors must have been available at that time, hence those released later couldn't be in the original formula.

Ben stated, "I've heard a LOT of feedback about this flavor and what I can tell you is that it is different to different people. I know the 5 basic ingredients to this liquid and I can assure you nobody has come close to guessing them.

"I take every possible precaution to make my juices as user friendly as possible. With Boba's at 40% flavoring already there isn't much to bump. There comes a point with flavor concentrates when too much can be bad thing and falls between a narrow percentage point with juices. The best advice that I have is that there are a multitude of factors that lend themselves to the vaping experience and less than half are juice related while a goodly portion of the rest can still effect what/how you taste a juice.

"Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All My Base
Are Belong To You
"

If it's of any further interest, the most popular Boba's tribute (out of eight recipes) in a 2012 taste test was as follows:

Boba's Clone #7
Black and Mi

"Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All My Base
Are Belong To You
"

Boba's Clone #7
Black and Mile Plus 40.0%
(http://www.ecigexpress.com/black-mile-plus-by-tobacco-express.html)
CAP Cinnamon Danish Swirl 20.0%
LOR Almond oil 20.0%included
CAP Coconut 7.1%
CAP Graham Cracker 7.1%
Vinegar 5.8%

I'm on the trail as well. If you'd like a copy of all the notes from the posts to which I referred above, you are most welcome to them. None of us knows more than all of us!

Perhaps you can help me; what the heck is "Pure (HS)?"
This is what I was referring to about Bobas Bounty # 7 the original recipe said (((((((15%flavor to base)))))))) Example Black and Mile Plus = 40ml @ 15% .

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sorry, wally. It says "Black and Mile Plus 40.0%" which means the remainder of the ingredients total 60%. The 100% total would then be added to the base. No idea what the 15% refers to. But as you said ....

I'm much more interested in @FrostyMtl research and hearing the results of his latest steep. Good brain, there.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I know I'm speaking Over a period of the original recipe that was test conducted by 15 people that did testing through the month it was made up of ml's and figured at 15% Flavors express - B&M plus 40ml, Ca - Cinnamon Danish Swirl 20ml, La - almond oil 20ml, Ca - Coconut 7.1ml, Gram cracker 7.1 ml and the vinegar 5.8ml. Over a period of time someone wrote it all down as % instead of ml,s . If you think about it 40% of B&M would be intolerable and if you were to try to make a 20 ml bottle with using percentages It won't happen. Now I'm going to post it here it is not the original the % should be ml,s but notice at the very top what it says about ((((15% flavor to base)))). The original said it better when they explained using 15% for each flavor. ALSO Note: Black and mild Plus is the name of the flavor, they have B&M and B&M plus. Go to ecig express they have the Black and mild plus. Also you might note that using the flavor percentages the way you are your creating 100% flavor with no room for any pg, and or vg, and nic. Just remember each flavor is 15% and that is considered very high. I would get you the original recipe but I obtained it years ago before ecf forums split up for while and I don't remember which forum they got it from. But what I have here is it.

http://e-likit.weebly.com/bobas-bounty-clone.html

Last edited:

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The page you linked is in percentages and is copied and pasted from ECF ( as indicated in the last line). You're mixing up ml with percentages and I'd like to help but I believe this horse has expired.

I'd be happy to carry on this conversation as just that; PM me so this doesn't become a chat thread. I'm fairly confident the original topic is of greater interest to the community.

Best always and Vape ON.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm not mixing up ml with % , as I said you can not take B&M plus 40%, Almond oil 20%, Cinn Danish 20%, Coconut 20%, Coconut 7.1% Gram cracker 7.1% , 5.8 % vinegar. This would add up in 100% in flavors ! no room for your vg, pg, and nic. Besides at these flavor percentages this would be the nastiest tasting combination to exist. Just 6% of Black and Mild Plus is overpowering. Doing it the way I explained in the above it would come in around 6%. Now hat I fully explained this if there is anyone confused of this recipe please ask I will help you. I might break this one down to come up with actual percentages for this recipe to help anyone that needs it. This is what they should of done at the time but back then they did things in a different way.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh, dear. Yes, the combined flavorants equal 100%. You then treat that as your flavoring in totality; ignore that it's combination of flavors as the combined ingredients become all of it. You could imagine the combination as a new, single flavoring if that simplifies it. You then add a percentage of that combination to your base (nic, VG, PG).

Now, please, wally, PM me (start a conversation) if this is unclear. We don't need to treat this thread as a place to chat.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It would be nice if you could combine the recipe as a whole but on this one 15% is figured on different ml,s per flavor which then makes it different % to each flavor.If you don't understand this of why it won't work you will when you try to do this recipe like on e juce me up calculator. This will let you know real fast. I have been making juice for over four years and this juice for people every since it came out on the market with no problems. After all this time you should know this is not just a simple % recipe and that it is figured 15% flavor to base. This does not mean 15% flavor as a whole. Also if you don't want to discuss it on here any further then don't I wont take any offense to it.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
PM me, wally. As a man wiser than I once said to me, "I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you."

Please, let's not fill this worthwhile thread with chat. Click on my username, start conversation, shoot me a note. Let's talk! ;)

Last edited:

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't have anything to add to this recipe anyone should be able to figure it out now. It's simple once people understand the 15% flavor to base. This is what happened when they first introduced this clone. They should of just figured it at percentages it would of been so much easier for people. I never had a problem with it cause I do understand 15% flavor to base because I use to have to create and mix colors for paint companies.

Cramptholomew

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't get the 15% to base ratio. All I've ever done is % of each flavor (I got into the game when calculators were already abundant). Are you saying that I couldn't mix up #7 as a complete flavor BASE to add to my PG/VG/Nic, at, say, 15%? It would seem to me that 15% would still be 15% no matter what volume you're creating. I'm not trying to be a silly goose, I'm just seriously trying to understand the mathematics.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't get the 15% to base ratio. All I've ever done is % of each flavor (I got into the game when calculators were already abundant). Are you saying that I couldn't mix up #7 as a complete flavor BASE to add to my PG/VG/Nic, at, say, 15%? It would seem to me that 15% would still be 15% no matter what volume you're creating. I'm not trying to be a silly goose, I'm just seriously trying to understand the mathematics.
Let me give you a example. First of all to mix this one you have to mix one flavor at a time B&M Plus would be 40ml at 15% mix this set it aside in a larger container enough to hold a hundred mills unless you want less. To make the next flavor say almond oil you set you calculator for 20ml at 15% then add that one to the B&M in the larger container do this for each flavor until finished. Note; If you want to make less than a total of 100 mls of juice then like on the 40 ml of B&M you simply cut the amounts in half Example: 20ml B&M at 15% doing this to each flavor at half would give you a total of 50ml of Boba's Bounty clone #7. Now using calculator you need to figure pg to vg ratio I use around 30pg to 70vg it should work around this amount. Boba.s was figured as close to the most vg, as you can get.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Thanks, . I know people are 'getting it' anmd this has been axplained many times elsewhere

Cramptholomew

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Let me give you a example. First of all to mix this one you have to mix one flavor at a time B&M Plus would be 40ml at 15% mix this set it aside in a larger container enough to hold a hundred mills unless you want less. To make the next flavor say almond oil you set you calculator for 20ml at 15% then add that one to the B&M in the larger container do this for each flavor until finished. Note; If you want to make less than a total of 100 mls of juice then like on the 40 ml of B&M you simply cut the amounts in half Example: 20ml B&M at 15% doing this to each flavor at half would give you a total of 50ml of Boba's Bounty clone #7. Now using calculator you need to figure pg to vg ratio I use around 30pg to 70vg it should work around this amount. Boba.s was figured as close to the most vg, as you can get.
I think this is entirely overcomplicating things. All the ingredients, even if measured by ml, all add up to 100 - whether ml or %. 40ml of 100ml is 40%. Am I right?

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I think this is entirely overcomplicating things. All the ingredients, even if measured by ml, all add up to 100 - whether ml or %. 40ml of 100ml is 40%. Am I right?[/QUO
NO we are adding 100ml total if you go buy the % you will have 100% in flavors with no room for pg, vg. and nic. JUst do it the way I explained above and before you do to prove me right use your e juice calculator or what ever calculator you have and try it, it will not compute. Just think about it, just 1% of B&M Plus is very strong as a stand alone Imagine what 40% would be like. Besides no recipe calls for 40 % flavor not to mention 100% lol

Last edited:

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Make any size bottle you want...:D
I figure this is right because I came to 6% on the Black and Mile plus. It took me a long time so I said forget this on the rest. lol
IM not sure if you found this or took the time to figure it out but they should thank you. Just hope they don't want you to explain how you came to this lol.

ZaTHRaS

Member For 4 Years
eJuice Me Up to figure 15% for each flavor at each ml. level.(40, 20, 20, 7.1, 7.1, 5.8=100ml)
JuiceCalculator set to 100ml, adjusted each % of flavor to match ml level calculated from eJuice Me Up.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
eJuice Me Up to figure 15% for each flavor at each ml. level.(40, 20, 20, 7.1, 7.1, 5.8=100ml)
JuiceCalculator set to 100ml, adjusted each % of flavor to match ml level calculated from eJuice Me Up.
That is what I told them in the above they were looking at it like the 40 was 40% flavoring. I explained it was figured 15% flavor to base.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm reading this, and shaking my head. :rolleyes:

At the number of people failing to grasp the 15% to base.

While most of my juices are simple % adds. I do have one that I have to work in a similar way. For reasons unknown, it taste like $@#! if I try to do it any other way. There has to be something that happens in the steeping process, with ALL the flavors added, that affects the end product. Is the best I can figure.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm reading this, and shaking my head. :rolleyes:

At the number of people failing to grasp the 15% to base.

While most of my juices are simple % adds. I do have one that I have to work in a similar way. For reasons unknown, it taste like $@#! if I try to do it any other way. There has to be something that happens in the steeping process, with ALL the flavors added, that affects the end product. Is the best I can figure.
Totally agree, I should of just used the 15% to base to get the percentages and listed them here in the beginning and been done with it.

So Wally do you mix up Bobas #7 for other people? I would love to buy some but I live in WA so it would have to be shipped. Do you do that? I have lost all patience trying to mix my own.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So Wally do you mix up Bobas #7 for other people? I would love to buy some but I live in WA so it would have to be shipped. Do you do that? I have lost all patience trying to mix my own.

Welcome to the Vu family and forgive my replying your post addressing another member. @dawgfan but thought I'd share an opinion. I concocted #7 precisely and it was a one-vape wonder; I did not want a second. It was fairly terrible. I would urge you to converse with some of us who DIY. I certainly wish I had gotten into it earlier.

Thank you for the welcome SailCat, and I don't mind at all your replying to my post to Wally. I have spent many hours on this site getting info, opinions etc and finally decided to jump in. I got into DIY thinking it would be fun but soon found out it wasn't my thing. I don't think I have the patience for it. Then there is having to buy all the flavorings and still not having exactly what you need. I found it madding, and my husband (a chemistry major in college) found it amusing. He would look around in amazement at all my bottles of flavors and then happily go back to vaping his one and only ejuice. How doe one vape only one ejuice??

So having said all that I am glad that I have all my flavorings as I can use them to "fix" ejuice I buy that don't like, sometimes it actually works. Still I can't seem to give up on Bobas and have spent a ridiculous amount of money trying to find a good replacement. My goal now is to find a good ejuice "base" (such as Oorah or El kamino ) and try to add flavors to it to make it taste like or similar to Bobas. Has anyone out there had any success with that? I would love ideas/opinions on that.

DarkJester89

Member For 4 Years
So have their been any updates on this #7 clone. So far it looks like the Almond Oil wrecks the recipe. :) Willing to put in my assistance as I can.

VU Sponsors