Become a Patron!

crackling and popping, burned my throat

kreller

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
so, i have a sigelei 150w with a velocity clone rda. i am building dual parallel 6 wrap coils with 26 guage kanthal A1 (my multimeter reads 0.2 ohms), and some cotton from my local vape shop. my problem is, sometimes i do this build and its vape is as smooth as can be, sometime its the opposite and its crackling and popping and its usually minor IF i only take a quick drag, if i take too long of one it will pop REALLY big and makes me nervous about inhaling the flying hot liquid and burning my throat. just today, it happened, it popped a big pop, and a little spec of hot liquid hit the back of my throat and burned it, it was nothing serious, but it still hurts, and is still dangerous i believe. my question, why are my builds sometimes smooth and sometimes not...is it something that im doing when building the coils, or cotton. or one thought that crossed my mind what juice i use.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
so, i have a sigelei 150w with a velocity clone rda. i am building dual parallel 6 wrap coils with 26 guage kanthal A1 (my multimeter reads 0.2 ohms), and some cotton from my local vape shop. my problem is, sometimes i do this build and its vape is as smooth as can be, sometime its the opposite and its crackling and popping and its usually minor IF i only take a quick drag, if i take too long of one it will pop REALLY big and makes me nervous about inhaling the flying hot liquid and burning my throat. just today, it happened, it popped a big pop, and a little spec of hot liquid hit the back of my throat and burned it, it was nothing serious, but it still hurts, and is still dangerous i believe. my question, why are my builds sometimes smooth and sometimes not...is it something that im doing when building the coils, or cotton. or one thought that crossed my mind what juice i use.
I have basically the same build in my dark horse and dripping 100%VG...vape is smooth with thick clouds and no spitback, popping or crackling...I think PG is good for tanks, but I don't drip it...wish I could help more

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

kreller

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
for christmas, my girlfriend got me a bunch of juice, all 50/50...i bet thats what it is...its probably too thin of something. i have so much juice now though i kind of hate to buy another bottle just to text that. hah

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Sounds like a hot spot maybe getting bunched up after wicking.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

kreller

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i dont think its a hot spot. i changed my cotton the other day and the coils where still burning bright, symmetrical, and evenly. what about the cotton, would how tight the cotton fits into the coil do this? my friend likes the cotton really tight and a snug fit in the coil, i dont it so tight, i like it kind of a more medium to loose fit. would that change anything?

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
i dont think its a hot spot. i changed my cotton the other day and the coils where still burning bright, symmetrical, and evenly. what about the cotton, would how tight the cotton fits into the coil do this? my friend likes the cotton really tight and a snug fit in the coil, i dont it so tight, i like it kind of a more medium to loose fit. would that change anything?
Its 99% not likely to be the juice. If you put more cotton and it pops more its prob a hot spot. Or if your posts are loose the ohms could be bouncing and that would make it pop. What watt you running?

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds like a
50/50pg
60/40pg
70/30pg
Or a all pg juice

VAPE ON

kreller

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
so ej1024, the juice is indeed my problem? not my build?

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Saying its the juice to me would be like saying my cars back firing bc i put 87 octane in it instead of 93. Try a different build like twisted 26 g I think its easier to build and has better flavor.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only obvious thing that hasn't been mentioned is over-dripping. I'm a chronic over-dripper, and even using 10/90 liquid I'll still sometimes get some spitting on my first couple hits.

kreller

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
its actually the exact oposite. when i over drip it and its super full, thats when it doesnt spit. after it gets used a couple times then it starts spitting at me

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In that case I'm going to revert to the theory that there's got to be a hot spot in your coil somewhere. You seem to have eliminated that on your own though. Good luck - let us know if you figure it out, I for one would be curious to know what else might cause the situation you're describing.

kreller

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
as of right now, i dont have thicker juice to rule that out. i rebuilt it, same problem. i decided to just change my build. still dual coils but not parallel coils. i did 8 wraps and its at .6ohms. the crackling isnt a problem now. when i eventually get some more thicker juice i will try my old built again and repost if it makes a difference.

VU Sponsors