Become a Patron!

Crazy Wires SS430

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I run my 430 builds at 138 tcr. Great temp control but can only find 28g or 22g and down, would love to come across some 26g or 25g.
So... I twist the 28 and works well for small chamber attys.

Last edited:

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I run my 430 builds at 138 tcr. Great temp control but can only find 28g or 24g and down, would love to come across some 26g.
So... I twist the 28 and works well for small chamber attys.

I'm reading about the CW 430 not actually being 430(maybe a bad batch?), and the standard 138 TCR isn't working properly for me. Been searching high and low, but haven't found if anyone ever nailed it down. Whatever it is, it's a champ in power mode. But I'm really wanting to TC it with my Alien, if possible.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
At 138 tcr is it too cold or too hot?

Too cold, turn tcr up till its about right at 450° and fine tune from there with temp setting.

Too hot at 138? Turn tcr down till it's about right at 450°.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do you have a mod besides a smok that you can try your build on?

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It heats up, then cuts out very quickly. If I take a long enough draw, it will kick back on.

No. Just the alien.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's hitting TC limit too soon, turn tcr up.
Try 140, then 150. Once your close, fine tune with smaller steps up or down.

If it's cutting out it thinks it's hotter than it actually is because tcr is too low for what they programed into that chip. Maybe that's the wire composition being off or the chip but with tcr a number is just a numbr. Dial it in to do what you want it to do.

Last edited:

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've tried it from the bottom to the top of the temperature scale. All it does is cycle on/off faster or slower. I understand that's what TC is supposed to do, but it isn't smooth at all. Like it can't jibe the set TCR to the wire's actual TCR.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It's hitting TC limit too soon, turn tcr up.
Try 140, then 150. Once your close, fine tune with smaller steps up or down.

If it's cutting out it thinks it's hotter then it actually is because tcr is too low for what they programed into that chip. Maybe thats the wire composition being off or the chip but with ycr a number is just a numbr. Dial it in to do what you want it to do.

I'll give that a try. I appreciated the help :)

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've tried it from the bottom to the top of the temperature scale. All it does is cycle on/off faster or slower. I understand that's what TC is supposed to do, but it isn't smooth at all. Like it can't jibe the set TCR to the wire's actual TCR.

I don't know, maybe it's just the smok chip because good tc modulation should be smooth and great tc is not even noticeable that anything is happening in the background (no rattlesnake or pulsing). Like if my tcr is too low it just goes to tc cut off and that's it. Nothing happens.
Tcr too high and it's just hot as fuck like it's just in power mode at a higher than what the coil wants watt setting.

Tcr right and you can tell the mod is smoothly keeping your temp right and you can then play with the actual temp setting to fine tune warmer or cooler.

I guess just keep going higher with tcr till it's consistent but maybe too hot then reduce temp setting.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
... or watts are set way too high for your build and it spikes then completely cuts to get temp back down?
I run watts higher then I would in power mode for fast ramp up like a coil that would normally take about 50w in power mode I un at 60w or so. But go too far out of range (200w for a 0.4 coil) and some mods can struggle to tc well.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah, I forgot I need to update the chip, too. I'm still on v1.2.1. Got the wire second-hand, and got antsy to try the TC. (kicks self)
But I know Wingsfan posted about problems with this particular wire in a few places, and was hoping he figured it out.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm running these coils, 0.126ohms @90-100w in power mode. I bumped it to 110-120w in TC. The tcr in ss only goes up to .002(on this chip), so I switched to Ti and backed it down to pick up from there. It's getting closer. I'm @115w and 430°F with tcr @.00220 and it's smoothed out a lot. But I think I'm gonna postpone further fiddling until I update the chip.

Thanks for your help! I've learned more from this conversation than I did in hours of just reading, lol. :cheers:

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
:cheers:
I don't know that mod but tcr mode should be it's own mode and then there's ti & ni & ss & watt/power. I guess if it works in ti mode it works.
Maybe I just don't know the mod, glad it's working better.

VU Sponsors