CrazyChef's Crazy Pasta Thread!

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Got a pasta machine a couple weeks ago, and finally got around to trying it out! This is the first time I've made pasta like this.

The dough. 50/50 semolina and unbleached all purpose flours.

NdbR5r0.jpg

Rolled out and squared off - ready for the machine.

Zj7cApZ.jpg

The machine

zjb1llz.jpg

It was getting a little long, so I cut it in thirds to keep it manageable.

Ko7eByl.jpg

Ready to cut.

1qBvp7l.jpg

Noodles! They look like ramen for some reason.

jDVyaPY.jpg

bgS3v3N.jpg

Letting them dry/set up for 15 minutes

XGCfh0Q.jpg

In the pot

cak5XCc.jpg

Had them relatively plain - just a little butter and Lawry's seasoning. Delish!

J7RIvym.jpg

Last edited:

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I hardly but pasta from a store anymore. When I make pasta I make a bunch. Different widths and I leave some sheets for lasagne. Freezes well. Hand cut noodles from sheets are rustic and hearty. I forget the Italian name but with a simple Bolognese it is amazing. I love pasta that is why I am Bigrick. Oh and fresh bread!

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I hardly but pasta from a store anymore. When I make pasta I make a bunch. Different widths and I leave some sheets for lasagne. Freezes well. Hand cut noodles from sheets are rustic and hearty. I forget the Italian name but with a simple Bolognese it is amazing. I love pasta that is why I am Bigrick. Oh and fresh bread!
Yup, I made enough for 4 batches. Used one, and the other 3 are rested in the fridge. Wrapped in plastic wrap and in freezer bags - gonna freeze 2 of them today for later.

Gonna start making my own breads, too. I picked up a baguette pan and a Pullman loaf pan, I've had "The Bread Bible" by Rose Levy Beranbaum for a few years now (but barely read any of it yet) and just got "The Bread Baker's Apprentice" by Peter Reinhart last week.

poTSzAI.jpg

opQrNfO.jpg

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Thinking I'll make some "gourmet ravioli" next. Stuffed with a mixture of portabella mushrooms, Mascarpone cheese, garlic, thyme, and a tad bit of salt.

Then maybe a lasagna or something. I ordered the Kitchenaid extruder for macaroni, rigatoni, fusilli, etc.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The mascarpone is super creamy and gets very soft when heated. Seal those ravioli really well. Egg wash and crimp edges thoroughly or you may get leakers. But I am sure you know this. Sounds delicious. I have been away from home a long time (Salem), If I had the accessibility I would make LOBSTER ravioli. Oh my a trip to the grocery might be in order. You got me growling.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
We do have nice Gulf shrimp here in Florida though. Jumbo pink wild cought, fresh not frozen deliciousness. Not lobstah but a good second choice for ravioli.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
What part of Florida? I was in Madeira Beach and Treasure Island for most of my 21 years there. Also Ft. Lauderdale and Hollywood for a couple years.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Right down the street dude. Largo just east of Walsingham Rd, which as I am sure you know goes over the bridge to Mad beach. I am a 3 mile ride from the beach. I lived and worked there many years.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I use mine to make ravioli. I used to use it to make all my pasta, but laziness and time got the better of me.

I’ll have to make some soon now, thank you.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Right down the street dude. Largo just east of Walsingham Rd, which as I am sure you know goes over the bridge to Mad beach. I am a 3 mile ride from the beach. I lived and worked there many years.
No shit? I used to be the kitchen manager at Gator's and a few other places around the beach.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What part of Florida? I was in Madeira Beach and Treasure Island for most of my 21 years there. Also Ft. Lauderdale and Hollywood for a couple years.
I bet you know Ricky T's and Foxy's on T.I. I worked them both at one time or another. Love the beach but it will eat you up if you let it. Many extracurricular activities available. Some not so healthy.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
No shit? I used to be the kitchen manager at Gator's and a few other places around the beach.
I was hired at Garor's to cook but I was afraid I would not pass the pee test so I declined the position. Maybe you hired me? 08-ish

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I bet you know Ricky T's and Foxy's on T.I. I worked them both at one time or another. Love the beach but it will eat you up if you let it. Many extracurricular activities available. Some not so healthy.
Yup, worked at Ricky's for a short while after he passed away.
I was hired at Garor's to cook but I was afraid I would not pass the pee test so I declined the position. Maybe you hired me? 08-ish
I was there from 1996-2002, then again from 2008-2010.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
@Bigrick
I was at O'Maddy's in Gulfport 'til 2013, when I lost my mind and moved back to Massachusetts.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@Bigrick
I was at O'Maddy's in Gulfport 'til 2013, when I lost my mind and moved back to Massachusetts.
I love O' Maddys. Tues $2 Bud bar bottles. Although it has been a couple of years since I have been there. You know it is possible we are aquainted it is a small beach. You can not fart on T.I. without someone on Mad Beach hearing it.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I love O' Maddys. Tues $2 Bud bar bottles. Although it has been a couple of years since I have been there. You know it is possible we are aquainted it is a small beach. You can not fart on T.I. without someone on Mad Beach hearing it.
Most likely! I was at Screwie Louie's for a while, before Lou took it over. When It was just "South Beach Tiki Bar & Grill". I've drank at pretty much every bar from northern Mad Beach to southern St. Pete Beach. Especially Caddy's (worked there, too). I also had a small BBQ business at Mahuffer's for a while.

Papachaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I’ve made my own pasta for years. So much better than packaged. Try using a little tomato juice instead of water to mix the dough with. I also use tomato juice and basil to make bread. Gooood stuff.

Carpe Nidor

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I could but I have a New York Ravioli Company store within Half a Mile of me and if I want fresh pasta I just go pick it up while the water is boiling.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Most likely! I was at Screwie Louie's for a while, before Lou took it over. When It was just "South Beach Tiki Bar & Grill". I've drank at pretty much every bar from northern Mad Beach to southern St. Pete Beach. Especially Caddy's (worked there, too). I also had a small BBQ business at Mahuffer's for a while.
Yeah I worked at Caddy's for a bit. Also Sloppy Pelican, Woodie's Waterfront and The Wharf on Pass-a-Grille. My longest employer was The Palm Pavilion on N. Clearwater Beach. I was there 6 years. I am semi-retired due to medical issues. I work pt at a peivate christian school and do some catering. Miss the beach rat life though.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I worked at Woodie's for about 6 months. Ran the TINY expo window.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Changed the name of the thread, cuz I wanna make all kinds of fun stuff!

Made some tortellini's tonight. I'll have pics shortly once I get 'em cooked. Man, I hope they don't fall apart in the water! I've never made 'em before.

The filling is portabella mushrooms, mascarpone/ricotta/Parmesan cheeses, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Nice!!!!!
Next time add a pinch of nutmeg.
-sounds weird, but you’ll thank me.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I worked at Woodie's for about 6 months. Ran the TINY expo window.
Tough people to work for. They opened another place across the street. A higher end Woody's, called it the Oyster Shucker. Man they were a couple of wing nuts.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Tough people to work for. They opened another place across the street. A higher end Woody's, called it the Oyster Shucker. Man they were a couple of wing nuts.
Yup. That was after I left.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
So I made the Tortellinis - they came out pretty good!

Shrooms chopped up

OIXjplU.jpg

The stuff for the filling: shrooms, garlic, ricotta, mascarpone, Parmasan, thyme, a little pink salt and cracked black pepper

OYUhPnh.jpg

Shrooms, garlic, thyme

oXrnQTf.jpg

Filling done

xERLmWL.jpg

Pasta cut

i20Cv3a.jpg

Tiny amount of filling in each one

zl4vlxt.jpg

All assembled

NmHvh7m.jpg

Made a bechemel sauce to toss 'em in - added a bit of chix stock and Parmesan for character

w2rq1qc.jpg

Ready to toss

bgeME22.jpg

Yum! And not a single one fell apart in the water when cooking. upload_2018-11-4_21-16-29.gif

E5dhzys.jpg

Papachaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
So I made the Tortellinis - they came out pretty good!

Shrooms chopped up

OIXjplU.jpg

The stuff for the filling: shrooms, garlic, ricotta, mascarpone, Parmasan, thyme, a little pink salt and cracked black pepper

OYUhPnh.jpg

Shrooms, garlic, thyme

oXrnQTf.jpg

Filling done

xERLmWL.jpg

Pasta cut

i20Cv3a.jpg

Tiny amount of filling in each one

zl4vlxt.jpg

All assembled

NmHvh7m.jpg

Made a bechemel sauce to toss 'em in - added a bit of chix stock and Parmesan for character

w2rq1qc.jpg

Ready to toss

bgeME22.jpg

Yum! And not a single one fell apart in the water when cooking. View attachment 123413

E5dhzys.jpg

Man. Now I’m hungry again. That looks amazing.

Carpe Nidor

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
They kinda came out like dicks - all kinds of sizes and shapes! :eek::D

Gotta try and make them more uniformly next time.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Thats probably one of those things that work like gnocchi... you just get a rhythm going.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

That is how it is suposed to be. Rustic and hand made. Different size little nooks and pockets to hold the sauce offering a slightly different flavor and texture with each bite. I think they are beautiful. You did an outstanding job.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
That is how it is suposed to be. Rustic and hand made. Different size little nooks and pockets to hold the sauce offering a slightly different flavor and texture with each bite. I think they are beautiful. You did an outstanding job.
Wow - thanks! :D :D :D

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I made some beet, egg, and spinach pasta dough. Not sure what I'm gonna make with it yet, but I'm sure it'll be festive!

3FsIwCd.jpg

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Ended up making fusilli. In retrospect, I should have use a couple of pans to let it dry out. They really should be in a single layer. Well, at least I learned something for next time.

uPvsEiU.jpg

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Made me some spinach fettuccine from scratch . They were a bit overcooked. Shoulda taken them out of the water as soon as they floated, but let them cook about a minute longer. They still retained their composure, but could have been a little more firm. Now I know.

CH5zavx.jpg

3JtjoIS.jpg

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been making pasta for about the last 15 years, my daughter started learning to make pasta when she was 5 years old.....people think it must be hard or time consuming, but once you get it down, you can pump out fresh pasta in a snap...I made myself some wooden molds to make Garganelli....I love pasta all types and I like making them...unfortunatelly it doesn't like me...pasta makes me fat so in the last 2 years I only eat it occasionally. We still make fresh lasange every Christmas though.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
it adds a sort of citrus element, it makes the pasta more aromatic, and gives it depth..I've also used paprika, lemon zest, minced sage,parmesan.....but I like nutmeg the most.
Haven’t used paprika but I’ve used the lemon zest and Parm.
I’m with you though; nutmeg adds so much more than the rest.
It almost gives it lore body, as well as the aromatic.

VU Sponsors