Become a Patron!

creating an RDA

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
so ive just been given access to over 1 million dallars worth of industrial machining equipment. lathes, cnc, water jet, 3d printers, laser cutters/etchers, you name it. anyway im likely going to attempt to design and produce my own custom RDA. my only concern is the 510 threads.

is there a die for such a thread? how does one ensure this would be correct? im very familiar with thread sizes and just arent familiar with these ecig connection threads. is it common?

any help is appreciated!

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
anyone have experience machining RDA components?

im going to be using a computer controlled CNC milling machine for the SS parts and will be injection molding the peek insulators and have all kinds of questions. lol

anyone here have any experience with something like this?

Last edited:

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That sounds like a blast, making your own RDA. Good luck and hopefully you will keep us updated!

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
The hardest part of designing a production RDA is getting the tolerances right, such as the top cap fit. Other than that, it's only really a matter of having the proper equipment which it seems you do. Best of luck.

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
so ive just been given access to over 1 million dallars worth of industrial machining equipment. lathes, cnc, water jet, 3d printers, laser cutters/etchers, you name it. anyway im likely going to attempt to design and produce my own custom RDA. my only concern is the 510 threads.

is there a die for such a thread? how does one ensure this would be correct? im very familiar with thread sizes and just arent familiar with these ecig connection threads. is it common?

any help is appreciated!
Where are you located?

Happy Vaping Everyone! CV

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
im in St Louis. whats up?

I just wondered if you were anywhere near me. I am a 25 year machinist. I do Engineering/Programming/Setup/Operation of CNC Mills and Lathes, Etc. Unfortunately, I am in East Tennessee. Just figured I would check. Good luck with the RDA production. As long as you can hold the tolerances you should be fine. If you start to get into it though, I would look at trying to source pyrex to make RDTAs or RTAs because I think the RDA market is pretty much saturated at this point and I just do not think there is much more innovation that could happen there. Of course, that is just my opinion. RDA would be a good start though as they are easier to machine and make (less parts and all). Again, Good luck and let us know how things turn out for you!

Happy Vaping!
CV :)

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
A goon style deck in an RDTA design would be pretty cool..Thats all manufacturers are doing now is copying the best of what evers out there and making it their own so to speak...Look at all the velocity deck tanks out now..sheeesh.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The copying of the best and making it their own is true, both due to imitation and due to the fact that an rda/atty is in essence two posts capable of attaching a wire coil to them. There are only so many ways to do that, it's not even a three leg design. It's a pos and neg connection. Aside from the two post layout of the velocity, the way they capture the wires is nothing earth shattering.

It's how ground bars for electrical boxes have been set up for years, long before vaping was even a 'thing'. You can capture a wire under the head of a screw, in a drilled out hole with a set screw like the velocity, with a flat 'lid' and two screws that clamp it down. Beyond that you basically have a round deck of varying diameter. Within that 22, 24mm, 30mm etc space, somewhere there has to be a pos and neg post.

It's such a simple concept that there's little room for ingenuity so designs end up 'copied' much like cars from chevy, ford, mazda, lexus etc are all basically a long rectangular body with 4 wheels at the corners, a gas tank, engine and passenger cabin.

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just wondered if you were anywhere near me. I am a 25 year machinist. I do Engineering/Programming/Setup/Operation of CNC Mills and Lathes, Etc. Unfortunately, I am in East Tennessee. Just figured I would check. Good luck with the RDA production. As long as you can hold the tolerances you should be fine. If you start to get into it though, I would look at trying to source pyrex to make RDTAs or RTAs because I think the RDA market is pretty much saturated at this point and I just do not think there is much more innovation that could happen there. Of course, that is just my opinion. RDA would be a good start though as they are easier to machine and make (less parts and all). Again, Good luck and let us know how things turn out for you!

Happy Vaping!

oh i see. can i reach out to you with questions if they arise? would certainly appreciate it!

im not attempting to start an RDA business here. i just want to customise my own. ive looked at every RDA under the sun and there are improvements to be made compared to anything available. at least improvements in my opinion.

not interested in tanks in any way. not my thing.

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
oh i see. can i reach out to you with questions if they arise? would certainly appreciate it!

im not attempting to start an RDA business here. i just want to customise my own. ive looked at every RDA under the sun and there are improvements to be made compared to anything available. at least improvements in my opinion.

not interested in tanks in any way. not my thing.
By all means, pm me if you have questions. I would be happy to try and help if I can.

Happy Vaping Everyone! CV

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's such a simple concept that there's little room for ingenuity so designs end up 'copied' much like cars from chevy, ford, mazda, lexus etc are all basically a long rectangular body with 4 wheels at the corners, a gas tank, engine and passenger cabin.

and if the car MFGs looked at things that way we would all still be driving Model Ts.

there is tons of room for improvement.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
and if the car MFGs looked at things that way we would all still be driving Model Ts.

there is tons of room for improvement.

I never said there was no room for improvement. However like the model T the steering wheel is still on the left, they're still 2-4 passenger cars with four wheels, engine in the front, trunk in the back, windshield, roof on top. I'm not talking minor details like stereo systems or difference in seat cover material or vinyl vs leather dash cover. The basics are identical. So goes it with something much simpler than an automobile, a device designed to capture a heating coil between a pos and neg post.

That's literally the most basic electrical connection example. It would seem that ideas or designs are being copied because honestly, what other option is there? Especially with so many companies making the same product.

To see so many similarities is to be expected, that's all my comment referenced. Ford doesn't turn around and go 'oh nice chevy, you bastards. you made a truck with a cab and a bed, you copy cats!'. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Mazda, Nissan, Toyota, Honda.. have all made pickup trucks and they're all pretty much the same in basic design.

Car mfg's do look at it that way which is why there are usually runs of car models that go for several years that are identical. They literally add a piece of trim to the side or change the reflective surface inside the same exact taillight lens shape to differentiate one year to the next. They even share identical parts between brands. GMC Yukon Denali/Escalade? Honda Passport/Isuzu Rodeo? Chevy Cobalt/Pontiac G5? A perfect example were the Honda Civics, nearly nothing changed between 01-05. The body style made a change from 2000 to 2001 and the next body style and major interior change didn't happen again until 2006. They also shared the same 1.7L engine, with the body change after a 5yr run they turned to a 1.8L.

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
improvement is what im after. amd new features. there is nothing currently made that offers what im going to make.

Swerved

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds like you got the toys for the job. While you're making stuff, do yourself a solid favor (if you haven't already)... Make yourself a nice building deck for working on RDA's and tanks. You can make it in no time flat, just put a bunch of 510 threaded holes in a piece of whatever material you have around. Something heavy that cleans well I would suggest to you.

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds like you got the toys for the job. While you're making stuff, do yourself a solid favor (if you haven't already)... Make yourself a nice building deck for working on RDA's and tanks. You can make it in no time flat, just put a bunch of 510 threaded holes in a piece of whatever material you have around. Something heavy that cleans well I would suggest to you.

yep im currently designing something to hold attys for building. my mind is running wild with possibilities for vape related stuff.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor

Happy Vaping!

I'm also in east TN, Cleveland/Chattanooga area. You?

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would like to suggest spring loaded clamps with one screw. That would make life very easy.

VU Sponsors