Credit Card Fraud - My Freedom Smokes?

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just found over $300 of fraudulent charges on my credit card!!

When I researched the merchant that charged me I found a fraud fb page.

https://www.facebook.com/TeamBeachbodyFraud/

Most of the people who posted on this page ordered from My Freedom Smokes prior to receiving similar fraudulent charges from this merchant.

Considering I have ordered from them too, I hardly find this a coincidence.

They are such a big name in vaping, I don't want to slander them. But this is a major concern IMO.

Perhaps a security issue on their end?...I've always had great experiences with them.

Take this for what it is, and keep a close eye on your statements if you have ever done business with them!

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I canceled my card and gave the bank all the info I could dig up.They need me to sign an affidavit and mail it back to them, and it may take up to 90 days to resolve the dispute. Such a pain...

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thank you for the heads up!!!!

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, this knocks them out of my vendor list. eBay and any company that uses PayPal offers you purchase protection. And they also can't just take money from your account with some number :)

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
MFS keeps your CC on file for the next time you order. Which means, your info is stored on a dbase, which is probably what is getting hacked. You can delete your card info when you log into "my account", but I don't know if that will do any good. There could be some malware sitting on their dbase server collecting cc info as it comes in.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Either way they are off the list of vendors I buy from and that I refer people to. I remember seeing someone im the dmz make a similar claim last year so obviously its a recurring issue.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sorry to hear that Sully, seems to be a lot of that happening now-a-days they got me too but I was lucky it was only for $40 and my cc card co shut my card down on the second attempt sighting a suspicious charge. How I found out was I went to use my card and it was denied, Ihad to get a new card and sign paperwork to recover my loss. What a nightmare. There is another thread [credit card fraud] started a wk or so ago in this category with several responses. Everyone be on the lookout.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got my new card from Chase..
This card has a chip in it but no added security for online purchases... I'm not sure if I'm gonna put it out there again either..whew!

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Either way they are off the list of vendors I buy from and that I refer people to. I remember seeing someone im the dmz make a similar claim last year so obviously its a recurring issue.
It's really too bad because they have special coupon code deals all the time, like the last one for 40% off coils. I bought my Disrupter + Battery from them for a final delivered price of 38 bucks, which is better than anyone I've seen advertise it. Although my card data has never been compromised by them, I won't be able to recommend them anymore either, until they answer my email about keeping my CC data on their system.

I was one of the 40million who had their cards compromised by the Target Stores hack, and one of the 53 million with the Home Depot hack. Both occasions, Capitol One preemptively replaced our cards.

Bloomberg said this last October

retailers hacked.jpg

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
It's really too bad because they have special coupon code deals all the time, like the last one for 40% off coils. I bought my Disrupter + Battery from them for a final delivered price of 38 bucks, which is better than anyone I've seen advertise it. Although my card data has never been compromised by them, I won't be able to recommend them anymore either, until they answer my email about keeping my CC data on their system.

I was one of the 40million who had their cards compromised by the Target Stores hack, and one of the 53 million with the Home Depot hack. Both occasions, Capitol One preemptively replaced our cards.

Bloomberg said this last October

View attachment 29252
Oh I know, they have killer deals! I bough my first authentic tugboat from them 6months ago, after the coupon codes, I paid under 60$ shipped. They also run some of the best deals on nic that I've ever seen. But, they got kiwi and I think Chief in the dmz last year and someone else her a few weeks back. That's just too many people that I know who can all trace their CC issues to the same vendor.

I remember that big cc scam last year. Makes me want to go back to bartering in silver. Hana

woodyt74

Obsessive? Who me?
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you for the heads up! I went to their site and deleted my card, hope that helps. They are off my vendor list!!!

woodyt74

Obsessive? Who me?
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i use paypal or google wallet online, never a credit card
That would be my preference but most sites don't take paypal or google wallet (unless you use the google wallet card). :mad:

skeene

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
but you can just add money to your wallet and pay with the card, it's free to use

woodyt74

Obsessive? Who me?
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah I just set it up for that and now waiting for the card, looks like my best bet.

skeene

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
wallet's always worked well for me, but in today's world I guess you're never 100% secure.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
i use paypal or google wallet online, never a credit or debit card

It is illegal for US vendors to use PayPal for vaping related items.
The ones on eBay are still there because they haven't got caught yet.
First time a customer complains and escalates that compliant the seller gets shut down.
I sold an Itaste VTR on eBay and they came 3 months AFTER the sale and took the feedback for the transaction away and gave me a warning.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
It is illegal for US vendors to use PayPal for vaping related items.
The ones on eBay are still there because they haven't got caught yet.
First time a customer complains and escalates that compliant the seller gets shut down.
I sold an Itaste VTR on eBay and they came 3 months AFTER the sale and took the feedback for the transaction away and gave me a warning.
Thats all kind of fucked up

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

https://www.facebook.com/TeamBeachbodyFraud/

Most of the people who posted on this page ordered from My Freedom Smokes prior to receiving similar fraudulent charges from this merchant.

Considering I have ordered from them too, I hardly find this a coincidence.

They are such a big name in vaping, I don't want to slander them. But this is a major concern IMO.

Perhaps a security issue on their end?...I've always had great experiences with them.

Take this for what it is, and keep a close eye on your statements if you have ever done business with them!

See THIS GROUP for 50 or more people who also got burned by MFS.

This has been going on for close to a year but MFS give so little of a fuck for their customers that they haven't even attempted to fix the problem.

As a matter of fact if you complain on their Facebook page they will delete the complaint and block you:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NotRecommendedVendorsAndProducts/843819252353804/

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
See that kind of shit! (them pretending its not happening) pisses me off more than it happening in the first place.
Im the type of asshole thats willing to buy a ten dollar (thingamajig) just to be a douchebag customer and make a point for pure personal satisfaction.

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
See that kind of shit! (them pretending its not happening) pisses me off more than it happening in the first place.
Im the type of asshole thats willing to buy a ten dollar (thingamajig) just to be a douchebag customer and make a point for pure personal satisfaction.
Maybe they are in on it and taking a cut of the of all the money that's being stolen....

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
See THIS GROUP for 50 or more people who also got burned by MFS.

This has been going on for close to a year but MFS give so little of a fuck for their customers that they haven't even attempted to fix the problem.

As a matter of fact if you complain on their Facebook page they will delete the complaint and block you:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NotRecommendedVendorsAndProducts/843819252353804/

I suggest MFS get their asses over to this thread to see the bad ju-ju they are spreading. I will no longer deal with them, not even with google wallet because of their "fuck you customer!" attitude. For this to be going on over a year is just fucking insane. Don't they care that prior customers (some who were very happy with MFS) are actively discouraging others from shopping with them, or is it they don't give a fuck once the purchase is made?

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Softpedia says it was malware

http://news.softpedia.com/news/My-Freedom-Smokes-Website-Burnt-By-Malware-479314.shtml

It also says

"The company informs that the payment card numbers it stores are only partial and that CVVs are not saved on its infrastructure"

and that has to be bullshit. otherwise you would have to enter that info again every time you placed an order.

An this. 97 people in New Hampshire alone. Imagine how many nation wide.

http://doj.nh.gov/consumer/security-breaches/documents/freedom-smokes-20150422.pdf

Last edited:

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

http://news.softpedia.com/news/My-Freedom-Smokes-Website-Burnt-By-Malware-479314.shtml

It also says

"The company informs that the payment card numbers it stores are only partial and that CVVs are not saved on its infrastructure"

and that has to be bullshit. otherwise you would have to enter that info again every time you placed an order.

http://doj.nh.gov/consumer/security-breaches/documents/freedom-smokes-20150422.pdf

Thanks for posting that. At least I'm not as concerned about my banking account being emptied.

I was assuming all this was taking place within the last couple of weeks. It's nice to see some firm dates on the data breach.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

It also says

Its nice to see mfs still doesn't give a shit...
Still to frequent an occurrence and still off my list!

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for posting that. At least I'm not as concerned about my banking account being emptied.

I was assuming all this was taking place within the last couple of weeks. It's nice to see some firm dates on the data breach.

I think what people are saying is, the breach may not be fixed or have been hacked again, since many are still having their cards compromised to this day (see OP's original post and the link provided), and they are not truthful about keeping only partial CC data in their database.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I think what people are saying is, the breach may not be fixed or have been hacked again, since many are still having their cards compromised to this day (see OP's original post and the link provided), and they are not truthful about keeping only partial CC data in their database.

No one is truthful about their data base.

A certain ticket seller (who shall remain nameless) was asked for a client list. So the data could be processed locally.

And you would be amazed what is kept on file, in spreadsheet form.

IP
Geo location
Address
Phone number
ALL CC data
Time of sale
How you ordered (PC or phone)
And much more.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

@Sully Log into MFS account and see if you had any transactions between the dates Feb 11 & March 16th. This CC card data is sold by the hackers and can take quite some time for it to be used if at all. If you did do a transaction during those dates, did MFS ever email you saying your card info was possibly compromised?

David Hammer from MFS emailed me back this morning and assured me that if you remove your CC info in "My Account", it will remove it from their system. I replied saying he needs to make the system default to Not save CC info, and perhaps have a check button to give you the option. Told him I never purchased from MFS because my card info was databased on their system, I purchased because of good deals and fast shipping period, and even though the breach a few months ago was malware point of purchase related, removing all cc info may help restore the trust.

Communicating with the customers would have been my 1st priority, but maybe they don't give a shit and just hope it all goes away.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No one is truthful about their data base.

A certain ticket seller (who shall remain nameless) was asked for a client list. So the data could be processed locally.

And you would be amazed what is kept on file, in spreadsheet form.

IP
Geo location
Address
Phone number
ALL CC data
Time of sale
How you ordered (PC or phone)
And much more.

Why would you want it to remain nameless? I'd like to know

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@Sully Log into MFS account and see if you had any transactions between the dates Feb 11 & March 16th. This CC card data is sold by the hackers and can take quite some time for it to be used if at all. If you did do a transaction during those dates, did MFS ever email you saying your card info was possibly compromised?

David Hammer from MFS emailed me back this morning and assured me that if you remove your CC info in "My Account", it will remove it from their system. I replied saying he needs to make the system default to Not save CC info, and perhaps have a check button to give you the option. Told him I never purchased from MFS because my card info was databased on their system, I purchased because of good deals and fast shipping period, and even though the breach a few months ago was malware point of purchase related, removing all cc info may help restore the trust.

Communicating with the customers would have been my 1st priority, but maybe they don't give a shit and just hope it all goes away.
I always deselect "store my CC info" I never gave them permission to keep it in their database to begin with. My purchases with them were actually August and November last year. The hackers waited almost exactly one year to use my CC info.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
MFS keeps your CC on file for the next time you order. Which means, your info is stored on a dbase, which is probably what is getting hacked. You can delete your card info when you log into "my account", but I don't know if that will do any good. There could be some malware sitting on their dbase server collecting cc info as it comes in.

True that. Could be anything from a scrip/kiddie using his EliteHax0r freshly DL'd version of KALI to a disgruntled or dishonest former/current employee.

Tom950

VU Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I got hit after using a virgin CC with them earlier in the yr. I'll go back to FT and get my coils for almost the same price as the 40% off

Discobob

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just got some charges recently also,not from MFS but I ordered from 3 different vendors On the date of the first bogus charge.I have had a google wallet forever but never put money on it, just transferred money and it was easy peezy:) still haven't got my replacement card in the mail so this worked out. I will just use the google for online purchases and add as I need from now on....

WAY too many post and talk lately to not take precautions, I only got hit for 120 bucks but what if they drained my account.....bad day for me.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I did a dummy order, it did NOT give 40% off on a $60 order, only took off $10 and change

Ditto! I even posted a screen shot. Dummy order for $200+ allotted me just over $11 in discounts. Entire order was coils.

I'm seeing a lot of pricing issues there. $40 worth of VG was suddenly $110 at check out. F that!

VU Sponsors