Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
l6e8ze3.jpg

http://www.grouprecipes.com/111200/crema-fritta.html

I've been playing with this for a couple weeks or so, and I think I about have it where I want it (maybe). I'll likely tweak it a little more, maybe not, because this is pretty good as is. ;)

Crema Fritta

6% Caps Vanilla Custard v1
3% FA Metaphor
2% FA Vienna Cream
1% FA Vanilla Classic
Flavorah Rich Cinnamon - 1 drop per 30ml

- The custard is pretty self explanatory. Kinda hard to make "fried custard" without it. :D
- Metaphor is the bready outside crust. I've also debated on adding just a touch of FA Joy to maybe enhance the "fried" aspect of it, but Joy and I have a love/hate relationship and I really don't want to take a chance on insulting my new recipe by possibly turning it into "deep fried beer custard." ;)
- Vienna Cream just enhances the sweet and creamy part of the custard.
- Vanilla Classic....just because. :giggle:
- Rich Cinnamon....I originally made this with FA cinnamon ceylon, but it just didn't capture the "baked cinnamon" aspect of the breading like I preferred. The Rich Cinnamon did the trick, just like dusting actual cinnamon powder over something that's just come out of the deep fryer. Super strong stuff, the one drop per 30ml is plenty!

This needs to naturally age at least two weeks, preferably three, or by normal custard rules - the longer the better. And I made mine with a 60vg/40pg ratio, YMMV.
Any and all feedback welcome!

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Out of curiousity, how much joy would you mix in instead of metaphor?

Still haven't gotten around to ordering the newer fa concs.
I was actually thinking of adding the Joy, but keeping the Metaphor. I'm leery of Joy, have had very little success with it, so I know I'd start on the low end of maybe .5% and work up if necessary.

Elites

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
l6e8ze3.jpg

I've been playing with this for a couple weeks or so, and I think I about have it where I want it (maybe). I'll likely tweak it a little more, maybe not, because this is pretty good as is. ;)

Crema Fritta

3% FA Metaphor
2% FA Vienna Cream
1% FA Vanilla Classic

- The custard is pretty self explanatory. Kinda hard to make "fried custard" without it. :D
- Metaphor is the bready outside crust. I've also debated on adding just a touch of FA Joy to maybe enhance the "fried" aspect of it, but Joy and I have a love/hate relationship and I really don't want to take a chance on insulting my new recipe by possibly turning it into "deep fried beer custard." ;)
- Rich Cinnamon....I originally made this with FA cinnamon ceylon, but it just didn't capture the "baked cinnamon" aspect of the breading like I preferred. The Rich Cinnamon did the trick, just like dusting actual cinnamon powder over something that's just come out of the deep fryer. Super strong stuff, the one drop per 30ml is plenty!

This needs to naturally age at least two weeks, preferably three, or by normal custard rules - the longer the better. And I made mine with a 60vg/40pg ratio, YMMV.

Thanks for sharing any sub for Metaphor? Damn I am have more than 330 flavors but missing 1, again.. :headbang::facepalm:

soulseek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
While this could certainly be a good mix, Metaphor is more of a moist cake flavour and really doesn't have any of fried dough accent. I've tried various flavourings and the one that has come closest imho is Zeppola.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
really doesn't have any of fried dough accent
Hence the cinnamon. I still wanted "bready," but was thinking Joy for a "fried" accent. Haven't tried it with Zeppola, but you're welcome to tweak to float your own boat. ;)

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow this sounds delicious! I'll have to get the Flavorah Rich Cinnamon, I have everything else. Thanks for sharing!:hug:
The rich cinnamon is a little pricey, but it's a purchase you won't regret! One of the strongest flavors I've ever worked with, one drop will actually flavor 30+ml. One 15ml bottle will last you a lifetime!

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for sharing! Bookmarking for later since I don't have the Metaphor or Rich Cinnamon.
I don't know if they still do, but ECX had the metaphor on sale for I think 99 cents per 10ml.
Wise decision!
Far better to add appropriate amounts of FLV Yakima Hop flavor and be absolutely sure. :idea:

:cheers:

Ron
---
"Don't drink the water, drink beer"- Saint Arnold of Metz (b. 580 AD, d. 640)
I haven't tried that one, what does it taste like?
Sounds great. Looks like I need to add some new FA flavors to my next order.:wait:
Squonk...my deepest apologies....I won't tell you about the chocolate Irish cream coffee I was working on today....sssshhhhh!!
LOL!!

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

There are things I am not fond of consuming but enjoy the vaping flavor. There are also thing I do like consuming but not so much vaping.

FLV Yakima Hops would be in the latter group. It's fine for what it is and for me just a personal choice. By far, it is the best real beer flavoring I've found.

Ron
BJCP C0490
---
"Whatever your determination or will power, it is foolish to try to change the nature of things. Things work the way they do because that is the way of things"- Miyamoto Musashi

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
l6e8ze3.jpg

Crema Fritta

3% FA Metaphor
2% FA Vienna Cream
1% FA Vanilla Classic

Oh wow, Teresa, that sounds really good, but as USUAL, I'm missing ONE ingred....Metaphor.......:cry:

I have Joy, may try a 10ml sample......:bliss:

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh wow, Teresa, that sounds really good, but as USUAL, I'm missing ONE ingred....Metaphor.......:cry:

I have Joy, may try a 10mm sample......:bliss:
By all means, do try the joy! That means you can report back and I'll know without messing up....LOL!! I'm gonna make a small batch with zeppola, as soulseek suggested, I'm certainly open to any feedback and suggestion. I've used my zeppola once in a mix and that was a cake someone posted in ELR. Didn't particularly care for it, but the recommended percentage may have been a bit much for my liking.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Like a hoppy (Cascade & Centennial with a touch of Willamette) American Pale Ale.

:cheers:

Ron
BJCP C0490
---
"As for Colt 45, I am very proud of my endorsement of the product, and it still 'Works every time.'."- Billy Dee Williams
View attachment 76773
I also like a good hoppy beer, and when I home brewed I always had a keg of IPA on tap. My other love was Belgian Ales, I made a pretty darn good Trippel.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh @Teresa P, T-minus 6 weeks and counting until Kreed's Custard time!
Four weeks here, and it's smellin' lovely!! But I gave it a good shake a couple days ago, took off the cap and gave it a good whiff, then when I screwed the cap back on it busted in my hand...I was so mad! That's a 250ml glass bottle and I have no other cap to fit it, so I ended up with a plastic one off a squeeze bottle on it for the next month. I'll transfer it into something else after the steep.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Four weeks here, and it's smellin' lovely!! But I gave it a good shake a couple days ago, took off the cap and gave it a good whiff, then when I screwed the cap back on it busted in my hand...I was so mad! That's a 250ml glass bottle and I have no other cap to fit it, so I ended up with a plastic one off a squeeze bottle on it for the next month. I'll transfer it into something else after the steep.
Oh no! Thank goodness it was the cap & not the bottle.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
By all means, do try the joy! That means you can report back and I'll know without messing up....LOL!! I'm gonna make a small batch with zeppola, as soulseek suggested, I'm certainly open to any feedback and suggestion. I've used my zeppola once in a mix and that was a cake someone posted in ELR. Didn't particularly care for it, but the recommended percentage may have been a bit much for my liking.
I haven't tried Joy yet, so I'm not certain if I'll get the beer flavor some report......:devil:

But I do have Zeppola, which I could certainly try.....I think.....:)

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't tried Joy yet, so I'm not certain if I'll get the beer flavor some report......:devil:

But I do have Zeppola, which I could certainly try.....I think.....:)
I've always thought it strange that half of us taste beer with joy and the other half tastes sweet fried bread. It seems to be an either/or, not unlike Caps glazed donut. You either get donut or play-doh with that one, no in between.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've always thought it strange that half of us taste beer with joy and the other half tastes sweet fried bread. It seems to be an either/or, not unlike Caps glazed donut. You either get donut or play-doh with that one, no in between.
I don't mind Joy in recipes. But Caps Glazed Donut, I used in a recipe that if memory serves people liked but it was yucky to me. Could've been the recipe but I'm not sure. I think it was in Bronuts, it's horrible, Bronuts that is. Maybe not Caps Glazed Donuts fault.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't mind Joy in recipes. But Caps Glazed Donut, I used in a recipe that if memory serves people liked but it was yucky to me. Could've been the recipe but I'm not sure. I think it was in Bronuts, it's horrible, Bronuts that is. Maybe not Caps Glazed Donuts fault.
I didn't care for bronuts either!

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I also like a good hoppy beer, and when I home brewed I always had a keg of IPA on tap. My other love was Belgian Ales, I made a pretty darn good Trippel.

I haven't made any homebrew in 4-5 years. Thanks for the reminder! I still have 15 gallons of Flander's Red style beer that has been sitting in carboys and needs to be blended. If I get the chance, (and remember :)) I'll get that started in May-June.

I keep thinking I should again make a batch or 2 of sake, but it's tough for me to justify. I just don't drink enough of it anymore and accordingly, there is not much cost savings.

To maintain my "Active Judge" status, I will be doing a competition in around 10 days. Maybe that will rekindle some home brewing interest. ;)

Ron
---
"If you can do a half-assed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind."- Kurt Vonnegut

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks! The vape is pretty darn good, but I'd love to try some to EAT!

I'd like to try some to vape, but I too don't have any FA Metaphor.

Eating? Something similar? Not a problem for me! :D
IMG_20170313_223545465_HDR.jpg
I'd save you 1/2 of my deep fried, custard filled Paczki (pronounced "pownch-key" ), but unfortunately, like most fried food, does not age well. :facepalm:

Ron
---
"It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways."- Buddha

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nom, nom, nom. I'm so putting metaphor in my cart ENABLER!! By the way, I love Enablers!!:D
I didn't care for Nonna either. Can't say I'm too fond of Zeppola either. Bit I'm liking Joy again, but only fresh and standalone at 3%. It's the same bottle of Joy. Sometimes I love it and other times it's flat beer. Maybe one of my personalities likes it and the other doesn't. That's it!!

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It tasted really good, but I'm certainly no connoisseur like some folks, just beginning my DIY journey. Thanks to all you good people, I'm off to a good start tho......:)
Still great! I'm waiting to place my order for the Rich Cinnamon when ECX has a sale on FA. Might as well just place one order. Can't wait!

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Still great! I'm waiting to place my order for the Rich Cinnamon when ECX has a sale on FA. Might as well just place one order. Can't wait!
The rich cinnamon is Flavorah, not FA. And if you order direct from FV, they usually send a free sample for two of other flavors.
It tasted really good, but I'm certainly no connoisseur like some folks, just beginning my DIY journey. Thanks to all you good people, I'm off to a good start tho......:)
You know there's no such thing as a "juice connoisseur," if you made the juice and you like the juice, then by golly it's GOOD JUICE! I've actually got a 30ml made up with the zeppola sub for comparison. But still thoroughly enjoying the metaphor version.
Teresa, (or anyone) can you describe the flavor of Metaphor? sweet cookie, pastry?...
I've never even heard of it. Can you enable me please? :)
To me, metaphor is a light cake with just a kiss of citrus in the background. I think it compliments the custard in the above recipe, but still lets you taste the pastry around it. The FV cinnamon makes me taste the fried cinnamon in one of those apple pastries I like so well....I think they called them "apple ugly." lol!

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The rich cinnamon is Flavorah, not FA. And if you order direct from FV, they usually send a free sample for two of other flavors.

You know there's no such thing as a "juice connoisseur," if you made the juice and you like the juice, then by golly it's GOOD JUICE! I've actually got a 30ml made up with the zeppola sub for comparison. But still thoroughly enjoying the metaphor version.

To me, metaphor is a light cake with just a kiss of citrus in the background. I think it compliments the custard in the above recipe, but still lets you taste the pastry around it. The FV cinnamon makes me taste the fried cinnamon in one of those apple pastries I like so well....I think they called them "apple ugly." lol!
Thanks, I know it is Flavorah not FlavourArt's but at ECX I can get both hence ordering once. But thanks, maybe I will order direct to get the samples. Have you ever tried Flavorah's Pound Cake? Is it good?

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks, I know it is Flavorah not FlavourArt's but at ECX I can get both hence ordering once. But thanks, maybe I will order direct to get the samples. Have you ever tried Flavorah's Pound Cake? Is it good?
My bad, sorry! Yeah, I have the pound cake but it didn't impress me as a pound cake flavor. It's good, but not something I'd order again. For a really good yellow cake flavor (and as long as you're ordering from ECX anyway), try Jungle Flavors yellow cake. It's the best I've tried and without all the sugar that the Flavor West version has.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Teresa, I'm waiting patiently for the Metaphor.......:wave:

This is really a fantastic recipe.....!!!

VU Sponsors