Become a Patron!

Crema Fritta (fried custard)

hellcatrydr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You say that like it's better. :)... It's still 4:30 in the morning! :gaah:Only trout should be up at 4:30 am.

But I'm glad yer here Teresa... I was recently traumatized in this thread.
I'm still trying to struggle my way past this... :(

fa0187a-tonno-tuna_iap2-zo-png.86121

OMG...

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
:giggle:
And I'm normally up at 3 every morning for work, hard habit to break on a day off. 4:30 is considered "sleeping in" around here. ;)
Bless you! I used to get up at around 4:30am. But 3am? You're a better woman than me! Lol! Wow, that's early! Enjoy your day off! :blowkiss:

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
l6e8ze3.jpg

http://www.grouprecipes.com/111200/crema-fritta.html

I've been playing with this for a couple weeks or so, and I think I about have it where I want it (maybe). I'll likely tweak it a little more, maybe not, because this is pretty good as is. ;)

Crema Fritta

6% Caps Vanilla Custard v1
3% FA Metaphor
2% FA Vienna Cream
1% FA Vanilla Classic
Flavorah Rich Cinnamon - 1 drop per 30ml

- The custard is pretty self explanatory. Kinda hard to make "fried custard" without it. :D
- Metaphor is the bready outside crust. I've also debated on adding just a touch of FA Joy to maybe enhance the "fried" aspect of it, but Joy and I have a love/hate relationship and I really don't want to take a chance on insulting my new recipe by possibly turning it into "deep fried beer custard." ;)
- Vienna Cream just enhances the sweet and creamy part of the custard.
- Vanilla Classic....just because. :giggle:
- Rich Cinnamon....I originally made this with FA cinnamon ceylon, but it just didn't capture the "baked cinnamon" aspect of the breading like I preferred. The Rich Cinnamon did the trick, just like dusting actual cinnamon powder over something that's just come out of the deep fryer. Super strong stuff, the one drop per 30ml is plenty!

This needs to naturally age at least two weeks, preferably three, or by normal custard rules - the longer the better. And I made mine with a 60vg/40pg ratio, YMMV.
Any and all feedback welcome!

Rich Cinnamon @ 1 drop per 30ml. Damn, there must be something wrong with me. I have an ADV that is 4 drops per 30...and I've been thinking of raising it. I do love me some cinnamon. :)

Metaphor added to shopping list.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The rich cinnamon is Flavorah, not FA. And if you order direct from FV, they usually send a free sample for two of other flavors.

You know there's no such thing as a "juice connoisseur," if you made the juice and you like the juice, then by golly it's GOOD JUICE! I've actually got a 30ml made up with the zeppola sub for comparison. But still thoroughly enjoying the metaphor version.

To me, metaphor is a light cake with just a kiss of citrus in the background. I think it compliments the custard in the above recipe, but still lets you taste the pastry around it. The FV cinnamon makes me taste the fried cinnamon in one of those apple pastries I like so well....I think they called them "apple ugly." lol!

Teresa, do you like HIC's Lemon recipes? Or is that Huck or Heartsdelight? You're all so wonderful that I mix you up...really. Anyway, I was just looking at the recipe and I wonder if Metaphor would be a good sub for the Joy. I also have a love/hate relationship with it and your description of it sounds like it'd be perfect for the recipe. Gonna try it.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Teresa, do you like HIC's Lemon recipes? Or is that Huck or Heartsdelight? You're all so wonderful that I mix you up...really. Anyway, I was just looking at the recipe and I wonder if Metaphor would be a good sub for the Joy. I also have a love/hate relationship with it and your description of it sounds like it'd be perfect for the recipe. Gonna try it.
I don't think I'd sub metaphor for joy. Although they're both bakery type flavors, they do have different overall profiles. Joy can support metaphor, but they won't interchange.
I do love me some HIC lemon meringue pie! :inlove:

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh yeah, I tasted it 2x's it was ok, but i didn't experience stellar at the time I tasted. It was past 60 days at that time. I'll have to try it again. Thanks for reminding me. :)
I totally forgot about Kreed's Custard, mine is dated 2/22/17. I tastes great now! Magical transformation.! @Teresa P did say the longer it steeped the better!! Yay!

Thanks for reminding me!

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I totally forgot about Kreed's Custard, mine is dated 2/22/17. I tastes great now! Magical transformation.! @Teresa P did say the longer it steeped the better!! Yay!

Thanks for reminding me!

As I read this I thought of how a few times I've run into vapers and got talking to them. They've told me of the different juices they've bought and I asked how they were. Then I'd think of all the juice I have in my closet and I'm embarrassed to tell them. I just say I mix my own and leave it at that. If they looked in the closet they'd be floored. :eek:

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
As I read this I thought of how a few times I've run into vapers and got talking to them. They've told me of the different juices they've bought and I asked how they were. Then I'd think of all the juice I have in my closet and I'm embarrassed to tell them. I just say I mix my own and leave it at that. If they looked in the closet they'd be floored. :eek:
DIY for the win! Yay!!! :stars2:

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After I wrote the above post I went and looked in the closet. I have juice profiles I've moved away from and the result is they just sit there and they'll probably go bad before I use them, if I ever do. So I spent some time culling the herd. I know two guys who are beginners so I transferred the juices from glass to plastic bottles, put them into 2 groups and will give them to the guys this week. It's over half a liter and I hope they'll find something they like. If they then ask me to make them more of a flavor, that's when they'll get the DIY lecture. :)

geoffd

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I made this 3 weeks ago and just tried it. Love it! Being fairly new to DIY my flavor vocabulary is inadequate to describe this, but I will be making 100 ml this weekend to get it steeping to go with the 50ml I'm vaping on.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I made this 3 weeks ago and just tried it. Love it! Being fairly new to DIY my flavor vocabulary is inadequate to describe this, but I will be making 100 ml this weekend to get it steeping to go with the 50ml I'm vaping on.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Awesome, I'm so glad you like it! Thank you so much! :)

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's definitely a steeper, I didn't care for it before the two week mark, but it got pretty good after that! (To me anyway) Thanks!

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't mind Joy in recipes. But Caps Glazed Donut, I used in a recipe that if memory serves people liked but it was yucky to me. Could've been the recipe but I'm not sure. I think it was in Bronuts, it's horrible, Bronuts that is. Maybe not Caps Glazed Donuts fault.
Bronuts uses Chocolate Glazed Doughnut and its awesome dammit!! Lol

Last edited:

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ugh, I hated Bronuts! But different folks get different tastes from the Caps glazed, just as some get pepper from vanilla bean ice cream and "puke" from custards. I fall into the "tastes like play-doh" category with glazed donut flavors. :blech:

Hi there !!

New (and proud) member/vaper here! :)

@Teresa P , "Crema Fritta" sounds rather Italian...eheheheh :D
I never heard of it before, but shall I judge on the picture, it looks like some kind of "empty krapfen" or "ciambella fritta"...yummy yummy !!!
About "zeppole": they are among my favourite cakes and just tried to mix my very first e-juice with bare 3% Zeppola (FlavourArt)...it's absolutely not bad, but in my opinion it needs some custard flavour and black cherry note to comply to the original cake ("zeppola" concentrate on his own, tastes fried cinnamon dough topped with icing sugar, to me...).
Very interesting for me to read expert's opinions on here, about flavour concentrates (particularly FA which is my favourite brand...).
I vape nicotine free and been using (so far) pre-mixed "Pear Drops" and "Blueberry Crush" from a company called "Halo Vapour Co."...they are my favourites (apart from my "home mixed" zeppola e-juice...of course...).
I've happened to try another "blueberry" (ready to vape) flavoured e-juice and it tasted Red-Bull..hence it was awful/disgusting...I can't really figure out what they actually used at Halo Vapour Co. into their "Blueberry Crush" for it to taste so "fruity" and smooth"...
Any idea/suggestion?
Thank you very much everyone!
Giuseppe.

Last edited:

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi there !!

New (and proud) member/vaper here! :)

@Teresa P , "Crema Fritta" sounds rather Italian...eheheheh :D
I never heard of it before, but shall I judge on the picture, it looks like some kind of "empty krapfen" or "ciambella fritta"...yummy yummy !!!
About "zeppole": they are among my favourite cakes and just tried to mix my very first e-juice with bare 3% Zeppola (FlavourArt)...it's absolutely not bad, but in my opinion it needs some custard flavour and black cherry note to comply to the original cake ("zeppola" concentrate on his own, tastes fried cinnamon dough topped with icing sugar, to me...).
Very interesting for me to read expert's opinions on here, about flavour concentrates (particularly FA which is my favourite brand...).
I vape nicotine free and been using (so far) pre-mixed "Pear Drops" and "Blueberry Crush" from a company called "Halo Vapour Co."...they are my favourites (apart from my "home mixed" zeppola e-juice...of course...).
I've happened to try another "blueberry" (ready to vape) flavoured e-juice and it tasted Red-Bull..hence it was awful/disgusting...I can't really figure out what they actually used at Halo Vapour Co. into their "Blueberry Crush" for it to taste so "fruity" and smooth"...
Any idea/suggestion?
Thank you very much everyone!
Giuseppe.
Hey, @Deff , welcome to VU!
Haven't heard of Halo Vapour Co., but skimmed over a few sites and their reviews. Without tasting them there's really no way to speculate what flavorings they might use, and of course none of the sites I visited would disclose that info. We all have different means of creating the "perfect blueberry" (which is subjective, btw), but I think FlavourArt comes closest with their bilberry. I'm also a big fan of Flavor West blueberry. And some folks prefer a combination of different blueberries. It's definitely a matter of individual tastes with any flavor profile.

Hey, @Deff , welcome to VU!
Haven't heard of Halo Vapour Co., but skimmed over a few sites and their reviews. Without tasting them there's really no way to speculate what flavorings they might use, and of course none of the sites I visited would disclose that info. We all have different means of creating the "perfect blueberry" (which is subjective, btw), but I think FlavourArt comes closest with their bilberry. I'm also a big fan of Flavor West blueberry. And some folks prefer a combination of different blueberries. It's definitely a matter of individual tastes with any flavor profile.

Thank you very much Teresa! :) Yes indeed, the Halo Vapour Co. seems to be a local, quite "anonymous" company...Welsh if me not mistake and their line of e-liquids is sold mainly in a retail franchising of e-cigarettes products, here in the UK. I haven't been able to find any disclosure about their products so yes, I had the feeling above.
I got FA Blueberry (Bilberry) just yesterday night, so I'm going to try to brew it ASAP and see what it tastes like... :)
I'm very fond of blueberry muffins, so my next (near future) mixing attempt, will probably involve such "subject"... :D

Last edited:

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you very much Teresa! :) Yes indeed, the Halo Vapour Co. seems to be a local, quite "anonymous" company...Welsh if me not mistake and their line of e-liquids is sold mainly in a retail franchising of e-cigarettes products, here in the UK. I haven't been able to find any disclosure about their products so yes, I had the feeling above.
I got FA Blueberry (Bilberry) just yesterday night, so I'm going to try to brew it ASAP and see what it tastes like... :)
I'm very fond of blueberry muffins, so my next (near future) mixing attempt, will probably involve such "subject"... :D
Just remember to start with a light hand with the bilberry, it's pretty potent, one of FA's strongest. I'd use no more than .5% to start and work up from there if necessary.

Just remember to start with a light hand with the bilberry, it's pretty potent, one of FA's strongest. I'd use no more than .5% to start and work up from there if necessary.

Thanks for the tip @Teresa P ! Indeed, I'm trying to stay very low with flavours, since I'm new about them, so not going beyond 3% in these my first blends. :)

hellcatrydr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have like 8 different blueberry flavorings and still no recipe.
Might try BB pie filling next. :)

I once murdered a recipe with bilberry. :(

Willbo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Think Im going to have to mix this using the new flavour art custard premium

VU Sponsors