Crock pot steeping

Shawn.freeman50

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am trying steeping in a mini crock pot on low can it touch the bottom and I am using glass bottles.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Mine always touch, I only filled the water level to about the neck of the bottles.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I stick a small plate under 'em but I'm using a full size because that's what I already own. And because I'm becoming cautious in my dotage. Wouldn't want to lose any of that delicious mix. Actually I've done it both ways with no issues.:D

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I forget where I read it (maybe here) but someone said to make sure the bottles are submerged completely otherwise the difference in temperature from the water and air could crack the bottles (assuming they are glass)

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I fill the crockpot pretty much to the liquid level in the bottles. Yes, they sit on the bottom. Never had a problem!

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Got to dig out the old crook pot.

You all just do it on warm and for how long?????

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got to dig out the old crook pot.

You all just do it on warm and for how long?????

Length of time depends, for me, on the mix. For things like Capella's custard or tobaccos I usually do 4 hours on warm with the lid cracked . That gives me a temp of 150 degrees. I really don't bother much to steep anything else, but occasionally I'll chuck something that has a lot of different flavors in for 30 mins or so. I suspect that higher flavoring levels also might benefit from heat. But I don't crockpot anything with cinnamon or other spices.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
2 things you should think about is bottle size and pot size. If you are using tiny bottles in a big CP then you wont be filling your CP with as much water. Ive burnt juice that way. when I use a CP I fill it with water until the water level is just above the liquid line of the juice. I like the idea of putting a plate or something in it just to be sure you have enough water so that it keeps from over heating the glass. for me 30 ml glass boston rounds fit nicely in a full size CP without having to submerge or elevate the bottles. I have burnt those short squatty 10mls because there was not enough water in the CP......... confused yet ?

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
confused yet ?

Always anymore. come on old brain, Need to reboot brain for new load of information....

nice tip...

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hmm, I have one of those old potpourri crock pots I'd gotten from a thrift store.

(an Ebay pic, but same as mine)

$_57.JPG

It only gets to warm-ish anyways and measures 4 1/2" tall and 5 1/2" across.. It might be fun for my 60ml glass bottles. :)

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
It would do the job even if it did not get to 120/150 degrees. I bet it would tho. you might have to let it sit longer. you could do the same idea of covering the top and cracking the lid until it got to a stable temp. Im sure it would be pretty badass to get juice jumpstarted.
Hmm, I have one of those old potpourri crock pots I'd gotten from a thrift store.

(an Ebay pic, but same as mine)

$_57.JPG

It only gets to warm-ish anyways and measures 4 1/2" tall and 5 1/2" across.. It might be fun for my 60ml glass bottles. :)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It would do the job even if it did not get to 120/150 degrees. I bet it would tho. you might have to let it sit longer. you could do the same idea of covering the top and cracking the lid until it got to a stable temp. Im sure it would be pretty badass to get juice jumpstarted.

Yeah, it is pretty stable once up to temp. It's hotter than I'd want my finger in, but not boiling of course.
I have a digital meat thermometer that I could set to a temp, so it would go off if it exceeded it. :)

anyone ever do plastic bottles in a crock pot? I make about 500 mls in a glass beaker before i transfer it to plastic bottles. Im figuring that plastic is no good to heat up. Anyway I can heat up the juice in the beaker before i transfer it to the bottles?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No I always use glass, because I don't want the plastic to leech (and I tend to forget things in the crockpot LOL). Get some glass bottles with lids for the crockpot. I sometimes use the 10 ounce diet tonic water glass bottles (without the diet tonic!).

CloudyToday

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
so, I'm wondering how effective this method is ? I don't have any experience at all as of yet with DIY, I've mixed some up and they taste like crap, I think it's the % amounts I'm using...that aside though, I do have some experience with baking...taking that into consideration , there are different kinds of VG, even within what's safe for vaping, so all have a different melting point to absorb flavor or bind with other molecules, same goes for flavoring, wondering then wouldn't it be important to know what those temps are ? or is this overthinking it ?

Hedlyna

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've seen people say to remove the tops and I've seen people say to leave them on. I blew up a glass baby bottle one because I left the top on. Which do you all use. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've seen people say to remove the tops and I've seen people say to leave them on. I blew up a glass baby bottle one because I left the top on. Which do you all use. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely leave the top on!

Hi to everyone i thought i let everyone know what i use to steep witch is cover up to 30ml bottle like 3x30ml easily .
I use baby milk warmer and i leave the top open cos with air can get to bottle can make steeping process work better any1 with any suggestions will appreciated great vaping everyone

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Hi to everyone i thought i let everyone know what i use to steep witch is cover up to 30ml bottle like 3x30ml easily .
I use baby milk warmer and i leave the top open cos with air can get to bottle can make steeping process work better any1 with any suggestions will appreciated great vaping everyone

multi tasker :) ..... maybe a rice cooker, cook the rice and set a glass bottle in the middle of the rice and close the lid. hahahaha. if you have a food dehydrator those are cool, no water no mess

multi tasker :) ..... maybe a rice cooker, cook the rice and set a glass bottle in the middle of the rice and close the lid. hahahaha. if you have a food dehydrator those are cool, no water no mess
No u need something save so it does go hot but not boil so thats a safest i put my bottle in there and leaveem there bottle warmer go hot but when it get to the settings temperature it goes of so i think is much much better to put my bottle in the pot and they blow up on the cooker mate lol

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
General rule of thumb is to keep the juice around 150F, which is easily accomplished in a crockpot or food dehydrator!

Cid6.7

Member For 4 Years
I have a mini CP I just tested the temp & it sits @ 132*F Is this plenty warm enough & for how long should I keep 3 30ml bottles in for..?

VU Sponsors