Custom Wood Mod Stands

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What are your favorite mod stand materials?

I'm considering making a few for a little extra money to pay the bills, and I'm wondering what your favorite materials are, if you were to purchase one (or a few).

Wood? Acrylic? Other plastics?

I have an idea for the first ones I'd like to make, but I'm open to suggestions, too.

My husband had to take a job that doesn't quite cover everything, so I gotta come up with something.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What are your favorite mod stand materials?

I'm considering making a few for a little extra money to pay the bills, and I'm wondering what your favorite materials are, if you were to purchase one (or a few).

Wood? Acrylic? Other plastics?

I have an idea for the first ones I'd like to make, but I'm open to suggestions, too.

My husband had to take a job that doesn't quite cover everything, so I gotta come up with something.
Im a wood fanatic Emile I would buy one from you I need another one the one I would really like is carbon fiber but I have tried over and over to work with it and wasted alot of money :)
So Wood for me

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Im a wood fanatic Emile I would buy one from you I need another one the one I would really like is carbon fiber but I have tried over and over to work with it and wasted alot of money :)
So Wood for me

Cool.

The only solid wood I have right now is red oak, 3/4" thick. I was going to use that for my first stands (they will actually be mixed-media).

I'll post pics once I get them made, but I appreciate people letting me know what else they'd like to see. :)

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Cool.

The only solid wood I have right now is red oak, 3/4" thick. I was going to use that for my first stands (they will actually be mixed-media).

I'll post pics once I get them made, but I appreciate people letting me know what else they'd like to see. :)
Can you make a square in the wood for a certain mod if I give you the dimensions?

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Is a 1/8" radius corner okay? the bit would be 1/4".

I can go smaller, but I'd prefer change bits as few times as possible.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well its for a box mod my IPV V2 is coming in and I want to be able to put it in the stand... If not no prob

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't think that would be a problem. If you're worried, the hole can always be made slightly over-sized (which is recommended, anyway). :)

If I feel up to it, I'll make an example stand tomorrow (well, today or tomorrow).

BUDKISS

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
check out Dhim's 3d printed ones. Very tight and reasonable

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I check the thrift stores for wood items This was longer and some sort of letter holder or something Just a thought it cost me $2 for material. Put 2 more coats of poly on after this pic was taken
P8030009_zps6f64072c.jpg

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
check out Dhim's 3d printed ones. Very tight and reasonable
Thansk man I already have one coming from Dhim but I have many many mods and this would be a more versatile solution for my Mod hording prob :)

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I check the thrift stores for wood items This was longer and some sort of letter holder or something Just a thought it cost me $2 for material. Put 2 more coats of poly on after this pic was taken
P8030009_zps6f64072c.jpg
Cool Roger yeah I am a DIY'er for almost everything that can be I just do not have the time to make a stand right now unless it was carbon fiber and believe me I have destroyed enough carbon fiber to build a large TV :) haha

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like wood & aluminum. My dad used to do wood working as a hobby. I've got a couple nice things from him. So I'm kind of partial to that. Aluminum cause, with the right tools, it's easy to work with. Plus you can do anodizing at home. Oh the possibilities...

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've kinda taken to my husband's work schedule and haven't had the chance to work on this yet, but I will soon. I need to come up with a little money, but more than that, I need something to put my own stuff in/on. It just so happens that I'll be making several at a time.

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That's space for two iTaste VVv3s, an SVD, a 134, five Nautilus-sized or smaller tanks, four eVOD clearos, six 18mm batteries, two 30mL bottles, five 15mL bottles, 10 drip tips, and a two-slot battery charger. :) (and a box mod, but I think I have my dimensions wrong)

I'd love to hear what other configurations people would like to see. :)

Galaxyrider

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
P8030009_zps6f64072c.jpg
I really like that, but I don't have the tools to build it, nor do I have the skills. I was kinda thinking a 30mm mod (Hades or Helmsman), a 22mm mod (StingRay, King, or Overdose), a 26650 battery, an 18650 battery, 2 30ml bottles, 3 kayfuns, a Kayfun big, an APO, a tug boat, and a Zenith. If that's a workable thing, how much?? PM me if you're interested.

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I really like that, but I don't have the tools to build it, nor do I have the skills. I was kinda thinking a 30mm mod (Hades or Helmsman), a 22mm mod (StingRay, King, or Overdose), a 26650 battery, an 18650 battery, 2 30ml bottles, 3 kayfuns, a Kayfun big, an APO, a tug boat, and a Zenith. If that's a workable thing, how much?? PM me if you're interested.
I do not have all the right size bits right now I am working on it. And I will keep shopping Thrift Stores for Items to repurpose. Something like you are looking for if I can find the materials would be around $20-25 including shipping in the lower 48 states.

Last edited:

jklunchbox

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you guys like to repurpose things for mod stands, look in the kitchen organization section of your favorite big box store, spice racks can make great mod and juice holders as well as tiered expandable cabinet organizers, one of those and a few drill bits and you have a rack for everything

http://www.storables.com/3-tier-bam...t-shelf.html?gclid=CNeV6OGUmMACFQszaQodrCoAZg

here's a link for some examples, but shop around I found one at a yard sale for 50 cents, which remains the cheapest thing I've ever bought for vaping

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Another possibility for stands is 3d printed. I don't have a printer, but someone else on this forum does, and depending on what he says, we may be able to work out some sort of partnership.

Also, if @VaporJoes is up for it, I'd love for @Dhim to be able to make stands with the VU logo:

VU_Stand_Blank_sm.png

I'd love some more practice with 3d modeling, if anyone else has any ideas of stand ideas they'd like to see.

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This was a old Wall organizer for a telephone when the slim lines used to mount on the wall . The large cubbyhole on the bottom left did not originally have a back- I added that. I paid 41.57 with tax for it at the Thrift Store. Finished I have less then $10 into it. Sorry for the blurry pic my 1 month old $50 Olympus camera just died yesterday.
phonestand_zpsdbbaa976.jpg

Last edited:

Celcius666

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Another possibility for stands is 3d printed. I don't have a printer, but someone else on this forum does, and depending on what he says, we may be able to work out some sort of partnership.

Also, if @VaporJoes is up for it, I'd love for @Dhim to be able to make stands with the VU logo:

VU_Stand_Blank_sm.png

I'd love some more practice with 3d modeling, if anyone else has any ideas of stand ideas they'd like to see.
Nice looking stand:)

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What is everyone else repurposing

Ld3441

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
@Emilie I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I am in the market for a stand myself. I prefer wood too.

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@Emilie I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I am in the market for a stand myself. I prefer wood too.

Thanks!

I think once I actually produce one of the stands I showed the layout for above, people will really like them. It's just a matter of doing it.

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'll also be making a few smaller mod stands to go with these tomorrow. They won't have the charger pocket, but they'll have some bottle pockets.

I may do one or two that are mostly for eGo batteries.

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think I'm finally over my five-month slump.

I'm ready to take requests. Got a particular setup you'd like to see?

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
@Emilie - Very attractive! The plexiglass supports add a real touch of class along with being utilitarian. Nice job!

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
To those with a lot of (or even a little) gear: even if you don't ever plan on buying anything, what would you like to see in a stand? How many mods/tanks/bottles/batteries, etc?

As I said, even if you don't plan on buying anything, I'm sure someone will. :)

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You have come so far in your 5 months! You've got some skills there, girlie.

Thank you, Huckster. :)

Smoking was only one of my hurdles, but I'm pretty proud of what I've accomplished so far on that front. I still can't consider myself an ex-smoker for another month, but it's all good. :)

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This is another one I did when I did my flavor grid. It's for a couple of sizes of eGo batteries, EVOD and 22mm clearos and tanks, 15ml bottles, and drip tips:

DSC00283.jpg

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Gotta ask, because I'm working out details with someone about something like this: what would you pay for a flavor carousel like this made from red oak?

FlavorCarousel.jpg

It's 15 inches in diameter and holds 164 10ml flavoring bottles.

I can make them to fit any type or combination of bottles or vials.

I have an idea of what it will cost me in materials, but I have no idea what the market will sustain, and therefore whether something like this would even be worth my time to pursue.

I haven't presented a price to the person that initially asked me about it yet because I don't want to seem too outrageous. I really don't want to seem like I'm trying to rip people off.

Solid wood takes longer to cut and rout than acrylic takes to laser-cut, and raw wood is more expensive than raw acrylic. I'm not complaining, just explaining.

Ladygadget

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
A matter of doing it, that took over a month. First I've been out to our shop in about five months.

Preview of what I'll be finishing tomorrow:

DSC00274.jpg
No worries, it looks like you are on the right road for sure. A little sanding and finsh and you'll be on your way! I like how you laminated the wood. That's going to look really awesome when you finish the wood.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Gotta ask, because I'm working out details with someone about something like this: what would you pay for a flavor carousel like this made from red oak?
Emilie - I know nothing about woods, sorry. But, what would this cost in acrylic? Might be a market there, too. And I agree, you have come a long way, keep it going!

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks! :)

To do this exactly as-is in acrylic would be prohibitively expensive (3/4" acrylic is insanely expensive), but to do it in 1/8" acrylic would be pretty cheap. I could layer the bottom for acrylic and continue to use sign stand-offs for risers. I really like that look. Hmmm...I gotta come up with some feet for these things!

What would people really like to see in stands? Not only materials, but designs, too.

I personally like the simplicity of stands like I've made so far, but the possibilities are endless.

Engraving designs into them is also possible.

I guess I should come up with a couple of examples of fancier designs.

Guys...girls...what would you like to see? What shapes? What mods or batteries, accessories, sizes?

Individual designs can be customized to fit your needs, too.

What finishes would you like to see? Clear? Colors? There are many possibilities with stains now. Even Home Depot carries a variety of different stain colors!

I'm open to ideas! :)

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't know how this would translate, lol. I would like to be able to see the labels, hold the 3ml, 5ml and 10ml bottles, in a small area, and be portable. All my stuff is on one shelf, so space is at a premium. I have to carry it all from the dining room to the end of the kitchen to mix. And of course it has to be cost effective. And yes, Huck, a lazy susan would be perfect! Don't want much, do I? Thanks, Emilie.

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't know how this would translate, lol. I would like to be able to see the labels, hold the 3ml, 5ml and 10ml bottles, in a small area, and be portable. All my stuff is on one shelf, so space is at a premium. I have to carry it all from the dining room to the end of the kitchen to mix. And of course it has to be cost effective. And yes, Huck, a lazy susan would be perfect! Don't want much, do I? Thanks, Emilie.

Hmm...I'll need to think about that one a bit, but I may have an idea! I don't know how well it would work, though. I'll let you know.

BTW, how many of each bottle?

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Probably way too many! What I have is - about 25 each of the 3ml & 5ml, maybe 20 of the 10ml glass bottles, 20 10ml plastic bottles. I'm not worried about the 30ml one yet. Have you noticed that there are 2 widths of glass 10ml bottles? The WL ones fit in my rack but the RTS ones are a bit too wide. Same racks you have, from FT.

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Probably way too many! What I have is - about 25 each of the 3ml & 5ml, maybe 20 of the 10ml glass bottles, 20 10ml plastic bottles. I'm not worried about the 30ml one yet. Have you noticed that there are 2 widths of glass 10ml bottles? The WL ones fit in my rack but the RTS ones are a bit too wide. Same racks you have, from FT.

If my idea works, the number of bottles you have sounds perfectly doable. :)

IF.

Let me get finished with this current project, and I'll PM you with a design idea. If you like it, we can go forward. :)

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I need to work out the fine details, but I'm pretty sure that what I have in mind for your flavorings will not only work, but be a fantastic solution! :)

I have a feeling that others will like it, as well.

:D

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Have I ever mentioned that I went to school for mechanical engineering before life kicked me in the butt?

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Do you have any empties? I'll happily pay for postage for a small box of your empty bottles so I can measure them with a caliper for this.

This has got me...forgive the term...juiced! :D

VU Sponsors