Become a Patron!

Custom Wood Mod Stands

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
PM me your address, I'll see what I can get together & mail to you. I knew I should have bought those calipers! I'll have to empty a few bottles into something and wash them out. Thanks for all of this work, appreciate it.

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nonononononononono, don't empty any bottles just for this (or at least wait just a little bit to do it...I won't be ready for about a week).

We can also go about it a little differently and ask if anyone who has the bottles that you do also has calipers, if they could get an exact measurement of the, too. :)

I certainly don't want you to waste anything for this.

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Another thing I could do is order some flavors from the places you have them from. I only have 4ml TFA glass vials and 10ml and 30ml FA plastic bottles.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No, wouldn't waste it, put it in different bottles, lol. Let me see if hubby might have some calipers hiding in his tool stuff. If he doesn't, I need to get some anyway. Probably be tomorrow if he doesn't have one. They are pretty cheap.

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Okay. Just wanted to make sure! :)

Now that I think of it...duh.

Anyway, I can PM you, or you could get calipers. Either way! :)

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
After reading what @bystander wrote in another thread about the popularity of box mods, I guess I'll need to pick up a few, too. :)

Before I can do that, though, would anyone mind posting caliper measurements or links with measurements to several of the more popular box mods?

Tanks!

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Okay, got the Innokin and Hana Modz sizes.

I'm not into box mods. Which others should I be on the lookout for?

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
They say, "Imitation is the highest form of flattery."

I don't know whether to be flattered or offended.

I suppose we all "borrow".

And beyond that, I guess the doors have been opened.

Last edited:

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LOL, nothing's original - it's all been done before one way or another. We all just improve upon what's around, and make modifications to make it *our own*.

That said, the IPv2/v3 - and maybe the VaporSharks and the Sigelei boxes - could be potential candidates. Most of them shouldn't be that far apart as far as dimensions are concerned, though...

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I see a lot of mention about something called the Groove. For the life of me, I can't remember who makes that one.

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
LOL, nothing's original - it's all been done before one way or another. We all just improve upon what's around, and make modifications to make it *our own*.

That said, the IPv2/v3 - and maybe the VaporSharks and the Sigelei boxes - could be potential candidates. Most of them shouldn't be that far apart as far as dimensions are concerned, though...

LOL. True. I'm just surprised at how quickly my acrylic platforms were copied! Ha, and by such a major player!

I'll look into the sizes of those mods. I'll probably come up with a couple of different slot sizes that will fit a variety of box mods.

I see a lot of mention about something called the Groove. For the life of me, I can't remember who makes that one.

Thanks! I'll look into it! :)

VapeHogSD

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What are your favorite mod stand materials?

I'm considering making a few for a little extra money to pay the bills, and I'm wondering what your favorite materials are, if you were to purchase one (or a few).

Wood? Acrylic? Other plastics?

I have an idea for the first ones I'd like to make, but I'm open to suggestions, too.

My husband had to take a job that doesn't quite cover everything, so I gotta come up with something.
Great idea. I would prefer acrylic. The ones I've seen never quite grab me. How about custom?. I've seen custom stands in wood but not acrylic.

VapeHogSD

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
To those with a lot of (or even a little) gear: even if you don't ever plan on buying anything, what would you like to see in a stand? How many mods/tanks/bottles/batteries, etc?

As I said, even if you don't plan on buying anything, I'm sure someone will. :)
Great idea mixing wood and acrylic! I'd need something at least twice as large and with a drawer underneath - would that be possible?

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Great idea mixing wood and acrylic! I'd need something at least twice as large and with a drawer underneath - would that be possible?

Anything's possible. :)

I'll see what I can come up with in the next week or so! :)

I have a couple of custom projects I'm working on right now. I'll be out in my shop today and tomorrow for a custom DIY flavor carousel.

How deep would you like the drawer, and is there anything special you'd like about the inside? Juice spots? Slots for tools?

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, don't that just beat all. o_O

I ordered a bearing for the DIY Flavor Carousel I'm creating, and it was OUT OF ROUND! It wouldn't turn. The box was slightly damaged, but I had no idea the actual bearing could be damaged from what I saw.

Another bearing ordered and should be here Monday, though I should be able to get good enough measurements off of this one to finish what I was doing with the wood of the carousel, itself.

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
On a better note, I found out that the wood I bought for the carousel is NOT nominal, but actual size, so instead of 15-1/4" wide, it's 16" wide, which is going to help greatly in routering it! :)

And yes, routering is the correct word. It sounds wrong, but that's what it is. :p

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@misswish, I know I PM'd you this, but I wanted to post publicly that I'm still working on the mechanism for your flavoring solution. Thanks for the bottle measurements! :)

I know exactly what I want to do, and how I want to do it, but coming up with the design in the available space and materials is what's taking time. It's a reapplication of a familiar design.

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've been a woodworker for about 10 years now, & I've accumulated some really nice woods from all over the world. I was capable of making just about anything anyone wanted, & took great pride in it....but the last customer did me in on my desire to keep going with my idea of running a small woodworking shop for the extra income it could generate.

They started out with 1 design, & was happy with that, but changed the layout twice, & I had to scrap the wood I was using for the original. And when it took a few days longer to finish the project, I got reemed & chastised for "lieing" to them about the time the project was going to take. Now, I've got myself to blame, I took the project, & they agreed to my price, I used black walnut with a beautiful grain, & left some live edge on it.

All things factored in, I charged them $50.00 for the stand, & it cost exactly $14.00 to ship, so they had no problem with the costs, but I feel they thought I should be able to start & finish the project in 2 days, & that included the protective polyurethane coatings. We had discussed some additional projects, & I had even started with the wood layout & design, but after getting a flogging for taking a couple of days extra to accomadate the changes they wanted, they pulled the rug out from under me.

So, I've basically shelved my ideas about doing the stand building, except for maybe a friend or what I need. I just got fried with the constant barrage about how customers want an exact time frame for the project, and changes to the design should not be cause for extra time. Plus the fact that after I shipped it to them, they ripped me a new one every day when the USPS did not deliver it to them that day. Phone calls, emails, texts, kept pouring in complaining that I did not ship it to them overnight at MY expense, since it ook a couple of days longer to adjust to their demands for changes in the layout.

I've got just about any tool I would need for a project, but I don't have a laser cutter for acrylic, never have worked with it, just strictly domestic & imported woods. And any project I did, I put my heart into it, because if the customer didn't like it, then word of mouth would destroy any potential business deal. After they recieved the new stands, and the time delay bitching died down a bit, I got another email stating that even though my work was near perfect, & they loved the finished stands, the fact that I was not able to "whip them out" completed from start to finish in 2 days, that took away from the beauty of them, & they kept remembering that everytime they looked at them, so they thought it was only right to tell me, they were scrapping the stands & going with a more "professional" tradesman, one that "understood" that the customer is always right, no matter what, and time delays were unacceptable.

But they were considerate though, they gave me the option of buying back the stands I made for them, for 3 times what I charged them. And they thought that was being considerate???? I could either buy them back for 3x the money they paid, or they were going to put them in the pile of wood for the fireplace......:(

I pretty much declined that "offer" and suggested that they "shove" the projects instead.

So, the lesson I learned was that, no matter how much love & attention you put into the project, some people cannot be pleased with anything. While I admit that working with wood is a really awe inspiring field of endeavor, taking constant criticism and ridicule is not my strong suit. I guess the person thought I should have a shop the size of a Wal-Mart store, with 20 employees, & 3 shifts, & when they realized I'm just an older guy with my wife helping me some days, and a 2-1/2 car sized shop, they felt I was unqualified to call myself a wood crafter...lol

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I am sorry to hear that Daniel. I like the stands you made for me.
I really appreciate that. It might be that at the moment, I'm feeling beat up over it, and may laugh about it tomorrow. I can't stop my woodworking, I love it too much. I guess some folks are impossible to please....Oh well, back to the drawing board. Those laser cutter designs have me intriqued, I might just look into one of those tools....you know, expand my abilities....lol Besides, if I quit now, how will I fund all of the toys I have? hehehehe. Yeah, it was a rough build, but it'll pass. Sorry for the rant, just wanted to get it off my chest, and out of my hair....I do great work, at least that's what I've been told....:)

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am so sorry that you went through that! What a jerk. I would be feeling a bit raw, too. If you decide to keep making the stands, maybe just make what you want and then post them for sale? I do hope you are felling better about it now, it makes it so hard when you run into someone like that. You do whatever makes you happy - and the customer is sometimes an asshat!

jensy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am sorry those people treated you that way Daniel. People can be such smucks because they just don't have any manners and do not understand craftmanship.

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm sorry you were treated that way, Daniel. :(

I'm just a girl, a two car garage, and a router, myself.

On another note, to those who may have noticed my absence, I apologize. I had some health-related issues which kinda forced a break from things. I wasn't able to complete a couple of promised projects, for which I'm deeply sorry. This is why I don't take any money until something is ready to ship, though.

I'll be going back into my shop...er...garage tomorrow for the first time since my absence, but I need to take things slowly. Unfortunately, this means I won't be able to take any requests for a while and will only be able to offer anything I do complete on a first-come, first-served basis.

I apologize for my extended absence as I was too embarrassed to come back for some time afterward.

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks! :)

Well, that didn't work as planned. I've been oversleeping this week and didn't get a chance to work in my garage at all. Once it finally heats up, it's time to pack it all up for the night. :(

Better luck soon!

This is why I'm not taking requests right now.

Rick jackson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
anyone make a good mod stand for the cupholder of a car? I would like one to fit a box a bottle of juice and a tube mod

Aquaman

Member For 4 Years
Daniel, it's shame what happened to you!!! And for only $50.00 too.
I do woodworking as well, and have been screwed by people in the past.
After those mishaps I began contract work, 60% upfront & 40% on delivery.
With an open time-frame because shit happens! Make sure the customer understands
what can & can't do and your work ethics. Get everything in writing (signed before and after
completion). Take pictures of your work, & sign it, stamp it, or burn it in!

Emilie, you have some wonderful designs!!! And you do truly beautiful work!!!

VapinChevy

Abnormal Chevy Guy
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
Another possibility for stands is 3d printed. I don't have a printer, but someone else on this forum does, and depending on what he says, we may be able to work out some sort of partnership.

Also, if @VaporJoes is up for it, I'd love for @Dhim to be able to make stands with the VU logo:

VU_Stand_Blank_sm.png

I'd love some more practice with 3d modeling, if anyone else has any ideas of stand ideas they'd like to see.
I'd def buy a few of these :D

NCHornet

Member For 4 Years
Another material would be a solid composite like Corian, but there are lots of brand names. If you can find a shop in your area that does this type of work you can probably buy small pieces from them, or they may give them to you. This combined with the clear acrylic second layer would look sharp. Just my .02

VU Sponsors