Become a Patron!

Cutted legs

bogart1973

Member For 3 Years
Please, it is the third time it happens. Why can it be? They are 2x26/36 alien.
f1aa6b802ea16b6d6a366dd60b7b78bc.jpg

Enviado desde mi Mi A2 mediante Tapatalk

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Did you cut them or did they burn in half. Not sure what you're asking

bogart1973

Member For 3 Years
They burn cutting the leg on stabilization. It is a message that I received from a store that sells my coils, and the guy who mounted them has 8 years of experience.... He says that it was at 42W, wich sound me very strange. In the photo I can see the other coil with burn signals on his legs. I fully tested this model before selling it, and it never happened to me, but that guy is trustfull......

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've never seen coils hot enough to snap the core wires. It may have been 42 watts but how long did they dry fire the coils. When cotton and juice is in the coil it shouldn't get red-hot.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Are all of these instances of the coils burning through on the same device? 8 years of experience does not make a person perfect or free from error. Every time I have had issues with coils burning on the legs is because I was trying to jam too wide of a coil between the posts and it created a hot spot on the edge. Never had one cut through a complex coil like that but suppose it would be possible if I just kept firing on it.

bogart1973

Member For 3 Years
No, it was without wicking, in a dry burn. I do not understand. Just to try I have burnt 4 coils, and I had to put them over 4V more than 10 seconds..... If they are well screwed, I do not imagine which problem has this guy....

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
But when you dry burn a coil you don't have to get it hot enough to brand someone. I can't stand to see people do that. For one. Your just heating it enough to work out hotspots. Which you'll see long before the coil is scorching hot. Two. If someone is using stainless steel wire and they heat them that much there is potential to release toxins from the metal. I've never dry burned a coil or pre heat at more than 30 watts. I'm not a professional. But have used thousands of coils. I don't think it's your coil at all. But heating to the point of melting the wire.

bogart1973

Member For 3 Years
But when you dry burn a coil you don't have to get it hot enough to brand someone. I can't stand to see people do that. For one. Your just heating it enough to work out hotspots. Which you'll see long before the coil is scorching hot. Two. If someone is using stainless steel wire and they heat them that much there is potential to release toxins from the metal. I've never dry burned a coil or pre heat at more than 30 watts. I'm not a professional. But have used thousands of coils. I don't think it's your coil at all. But heating to the point of melting the wire.
I think the same. On Monday I will go to the store with a box full of coils to ask him for a "demonstration".

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
That's a Wismec Luxotic BF, single 18650 battery. At full charge you'd get, what, about 80 watts max out of that, depending on your coils?

Shouldn't be dry-firing coils on a semi-regulated mod where you can't control the wattage. As Meowgi said, dry fire at lower watts on a regulated device. Move coils to the mech once they're wicked and primed.

bogart1973

Member For 3 Years
That's a Wismec Luxotic BF, single 18650 battery. At full charge you'd get, what, about 80 watts max out of that, depending on your coils?

Shouldn't be dry-firing coils on a semi-regulated mod where you can't control the wattage. As Meowgi said, dry fire at lower watts on a regulated device. Move coils to the mech once they're wicked and primed.
Yep, that is the other point that I will discuss with him...

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I see people on Youtube dry burn TF outta their coils. I always say to myself ,"Stop it! Holy cow" lol

bogart1973

Member For 3 Years
The store guy did not read the specifications, Stainless Steel Alien. It needs more care than Ni80..... 8 years of experience was saying...... Everytime that there is a problem it is builder's fault....
I supose that I am responsible of the hungry in the world.......

bogart1973

Member For 3 Years
The store guy did not read the specifications, Stainless Steel Alien. It needs more care than Ni80..... 8 years of experience was saying...... Everytime that there is a problem it is builder's fault....

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years

i would say the guy at the shop has some demonstrating to do..
BE NICE.
Come Clean and use your manners.
and ask the guy who sold them to you to
DEMONSTRATE the Proper install and wicking why you watch...
and see if he can figure out someting maybe simple that your not doing properly.
and if it screwes up on HIM then your no longer responcible for world hunger problems,
and he can remody the issue on the spot.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Did you get a refund for the wasted coils? Or an apology, I hope he learned his lesson and was nice enough to make it up to you

bogart1973

Member For 3 Years
Will see tomorrow Monday... My builder instructions speaks clearly about doing dry burn on electronic, never in a mech. But he still says that he has done it in mechs for 8 years and it are the fists coils to get broken.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Will see tomorrow Monday... My builder instructions speaks clearly about doing dry burn on electronic, never in a mech. But he still says that he has done it in mechs for 8 years and it are the fists coils to get broken.

It is possible with a mech to prefire stainless steel, it just takes very small, very short pulses - very, very short, like 10ths of a second

It is suggested to spread the coil wraps out before even firing, so that they dont touch - there is no time to work out hot spots with stainless steel coils, you must heat them carefully, then use tweezers to get the wraps closer together, but still not touching

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
The only thing that I noticed from the pics is the coil legs are a little long.
Not enough to where they should pop like that.
But you could try cutting them down a tiny bit more.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
The ONLY way for legs to burn out like that is from shorting out. Most likely, whoever was installing these and dry firing them was squeezing the coil with tweezers while pulsing and pulsed too long and/or held the tweezer grip too long. When squeezing and pulsing, it creates a short DIRECTLY across the coil (not along the path of the wraps) between the 2 legs and will create a hot spot in the alloy right where I see it has snapped.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Gotta add this: So what about the rest of the coil? Well, it basically acts as it's own heat sink. When the current reaches the legs, there is no more heat sink, and basic physics takes it's course and the legs burn out.

VU Sponsors