Become a Patron!

Da One Blade Kit - A Real Starter Kit

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look st the Blade Kit from Da One. The Blade Kit was supplied for the purpose of this review by Da One.

https://www.daonetechtw.com/blade

Introduction

Da One are a vaping manufacturer dedicated to starter MTL kits for those trying to quit the stinkies, which is good to see. The Blade is a blast from the past and alternative to pod systems, manufacturers such as Vaptio regularly brought similar type devices out before the vaping world went pod mad. The Blade is a very simple device that offers 3 different voltage settings which in turn outputs 3 different wattage's dependant on the installed coil. With it's screen displaying both battery status and H, M, or L to show the power level which is altered by a single press of the adjustment button the device is as easy to use as a pod system while giving a mod with tank set-up.

The tank has a childproof feature when opening and is a leak resistant design coming with 2 different coil heads for different MTL experiences, let's give it a look!

In The Box

Contents:

1x DaOne Blade Kit
1x 0.6ohm Coil
1x 1.6ohm Coil
1x Micro USB cable
1x User manual
1x Warranty Card

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Blade is a tiny starter kit with metal construction and high build quality which comes in the choice of 5 colour options which are Triple Black, Modern White, Navy Blue, Sexy Red or Rebellious Pink, i received the Modern White version. All colour options come with a small Black MTL tank with proprietary drip-tip and magnetic drip tip dust cover. Although the tank is Black with all colour options the tanks o-rings match the colour of the device.

The Blade is a very ergonomic device being very small and rounded and has a sleek aesthetic look. On the face of the device we have a Black horizontal pill shaped fire button at the top and smaller Black horizontal pill shaped settings button towards the bottom. Between these two buttons we have a vertical pill shaped display which displays both battery status and power setting, right at the bottom of the face we have the micro USB port.

The base of the device has good venting and safety marks and then looking at the top of the device with the tank removed we have a 510 plate with spring loaded 510.

Size comparison, Blade between Boost and Vinci X!

Blade Specs and Features:

Dimensions: 114.5mm x 20.7mm x 27.5mm
Tank diameter: 20mm
Battery capacity: 1500mAh
Atomizer capacity: 2ml
3 Voltage Levels with maximum 30W output
1.6ohm and 0.6ohm Coil
Compatible with Barrel Coils
Weight: 95g
Resistance Range: 0.5ohm - 3.0ohm
Leakproof/Childproof Top-fill design
4 Tier Battery Status Indication
1A Charge rate (pass through supported)
Colours: Triple Black, Modern White, Navy Blue, Sexy Red, Rebellious Pink

The Blade Tank Overview

The tank that comes with the Blade is a nice little MTL tank which has a 2ml capacity, no spare glass tube is supplied. The coil head screws into the base section and also on to the centre of the top plate to secure the tank tightly shut. The glass is sealed to the top plate with an o-ring and to the base section with dual o-rings for a really good seal.

The airflow control is dual narrow slits which move with a nice tolerance for good adjustability, you use these adjustable slits in conjunction with the bore of the coil for the draw required.

The top-cap has a fixed central section with a protruding collar for the proprietary drip tip to fit over like a sleeve, so you can't use your own 510's. We then have a springy outer section which needs pushing down before the top-cap will turn to undo, it works very much like the childproof feature of a medicine bottle.

On the fill plate we have two round fill sockets with rubber collars, the openings are large enough at the top to use most standard nozzles and much smaller at the bottom of the collars. It works really well with air allowing to escape from the port which you are not using to fill and the tank fills quickly and mess free but the holes at the base of the collars are so small that when turning the tank upside down with just the fill plate exposed zero e-liquid escapes!

You receive two different Nichrome coils neither of which are pre-installed, the coils can be told apart from the colour of the o-rings. The Yellow o-ringed coil head is a 0.6ohm mesh coil with a MTL bore but more on the larger size for MTL, this is rated between 18w to 30w. The other coil head has Black o-rings and houses a 1.6ohm regular round wire vertical coil with a rating between 8w to 18w, this has a much narrower bore.

Also the coils of another device from Da One called the Barrel are also compatible which look to be more geared towards 50/50 ratio or nic salts e-liquids. These are both Nichrome round wire coils with a choice of 1.2ohm and 1.6ohm.

Both included coil heads and Barrel coil heads have a protruding top section as this top section of the coil head acts as the chimney which gets screwed to the top plate when securing the tank.

Magnetic Dust Cover

It's not the first time i have come across a magnetic dust cover for the drip tip but in the current climate probably a good idea adding any feature that can increase hygiene. The cover fits over the drip tip and has a powerful magnetic rim securing it very well. With the device being of metal construction while vaping the cover can just be attached to the base of the device where it is out the way.

Using Device And Tank Independently

Although this is very much a kit both device and tank can be used independently of each other. The device would in this regard be much better if it had 5w to 30w adjustable wattage but still will work well with up to 22mm (minimal overhang) MTL tanks or RTA's, likewise the included tank is a quite nice versatile MTL offering which can be used on other devices.

Review Continued Below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

Operating The Blade

The Blade is the usual 5 clicks of the fire button to turn on and 5 clicks to turn off, both actions are confirmed by the LED breathing White 5 times. The device is very simple with just a fire and settings button but it does have a screen of sorts. It's actually LED's being allowed to shine through translucent areas, we have a circle top which is for battery status indication then in a column H, M and L, the colour the circle lights while vaping indicates battery status and whichever one of the letters are lit indicates which power setting you are on.

Each press of the settings button takes you to the next setting, they are constant voltage settings which from using the device i have found voltage is boosted when necessary to keep all settings consistent throughout the battery life, the wattage output of each setting will be dependant on the resistance of the coil which for the two included coil heads are:

0.6ohm Mesh Coil Head

H = 30w
M = 25w
L = 15w

1.6ohm Regular Coil Head

H = 18w
M = 12w
L = 10w

How accurate these wattage outputs are i'm not too sure as with the 0.6ohm coil the biggest jump in wattage is between the medium and low settings but with the 1.6ohm coil the biggest jump is between high and medium which doesn't add up to me but it gives some idea of power output!

As mentioned when pressing fire to vape the circle lights up in the corresponding colour to represents the status of the battery, the light stays on for 2 seconds after releasing the fire button to give time to check the status.

The battery status LED colour represents:

White = 75% to 100%
Blue = 50% to 75%
Green = 25% to 50%
Red = 0% to 25%

Protections:

Low Voltage Protection
Over 10s Protection
Over Discharge Protection
Short Circuit Protection
Overheat Protection

Charging

The device has an impressive 1500mAh battery, i say impressive because of the size of the device they have done well to get that kind of capacity. The device can be charged via the micro USB port and i have to be consistent on this, all vaping products in my view should be using type C as standard so a bit disappointed.

The device charges at 1A so takes about 90 minutes to charge and the battery status colours follow the same percentages when charging as when in operational use, the LED breathes the corresponding colour until fully charged and then the light goes off.

90 minutes for this type of device with a 1500mAh battery is about par and also the device supports pass-through so you can vape while charging.

My Experience Using The Blade Kit And Thoughts!

For a broader appeal this little device would of course be better if it had fully adjustable wattage between 5 and 30w and a bit of it's tiny size was sacrificed to allow the fitting of an 18650 battery but for who the device is aimed at, the smoker making the switch to vaping i just can't really fault it as it gives a really good alternative if a pod system just doesn't appeal.

There has been many devices like this in the past but most despite having different voltage outputs have not boosted voltage so the higher settings only stay consistent with a fresh battery before the device works as a direct output device compromising performance, this device is consistent throughout on all settings!

The little MTL tank is a little gem with childproof top-cap and silicone lined sockets rather than fill ports that allow liquid in but not out also the airflow adjustment works really well. The 1.6ohm regular coil allowed for a tight to medium draw so perfect for those trying to make the switch as you can easily get that cigarette type pull, this was best on either the Medium or Low setting and for flavour reminded me very much of the Nautilus coil just with better longevity. This coil worked well with 50/50 nic salts but also wicked perfectly well with my usual 70VG e-liquid.

The 0.6ohm coil head also just about gave a cigarette type pull with airflow closed right down but was happier when having the airflow more open for a mid to loose MTL, fully open a direct lung hit is also possible. I found this coil head best on the medium and high settings with the flavour being about par compared to other mesh MTL coils. Again this coil head was versatile when it came to juice ratios although i would stick to the 1.6ohm coil or even one of the compatible Barrel coils if using with nic salts.

I love how small the device is yet battery life is not too shabby, how long the battery lasts will depend on which coil and setting you use but the 1.6ohm coil on either the medium or low setting will last most vapers the whole day.

Conclusion

A really nice genuine starter kit, a great alternative to a pod system!

Nice build quality
5 Colour options
Dedicated MTL device
Tiny, ergonomic
1500mAh built-in battery (external battery would broaden appeal but at a trade off for size)
1A Charge rate
Very simple device to use
3 power settings
4 tier battery status indication
Battery status given while charging
Mesh 0.6ohm & Regular 1.6ohm coil heads included
1.6ohm, tight to mid MTL draw, very good flavour and longevity
0.6ohm, mid to loose MTL draw, performance on par
Compatible with Barrel Coil Heads
Magnetic dust cover
Childproof, leak resistant design
Device and tank can be used independently
Supports Pass-through

Cons

For broader appeal would be better with adjustable wattage 5w-30w
In-built battery (although probably best for new vaper)
proprietary drip tip
No Spare glass
Not type C USB

I would once again like to thank Da One for supplying the Blade Starter Kit for the purpose of this review.

https://www.daonetechtw.com/blade

VU Sponsors