Become a Patron!

Daedalus Pro What am I doing wrong V2

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fuck this damn thing. Right now I feel like I've wasted my money. I've gotten exactly 2 vapeable coils and I'm rapidly running out of wire.

I can't stop it from backing up on it's self. The wire is going through the slot in the guide. I've changed surfaces to a sanded smooth as a babies ass board from the table I had been using. Short length cores, long length cores, Tensions from breaking the wire tight to nut barely on the stud. Using the clamp with swivel to not using it. Nothing works at all. It goes beautifully until about 3-4 inches from the chuck.

WHAT THE FUCK AM I DOING WRONG???????

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Fuck this damn thing. Right now I feel like I've wasted my money. I've gotten exactly 2 vapeable coils and I'm rapidly running out of wire.

I can't stop it from backing up on it's self. The wire is going through the slot in the guide. I've changed surfaces to a sanded smooth as a babies ass board from the table I had been using. Short length cores, long length cores, Tensions from breaking the wire tight to nut barely on the stud. Using the clamp with swivel to not using it. Nothing works at all. It goes beautifully until about 3-4 inches from the chuck.

WHAT THE FUCK AM I DOING WRONG???????

Have you tried different spools of clapton wire? I'm thinking it's a problem with the spool - either a rough spot on the spool itself or the wire was spooled unevenly when they made it

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have you tried different spools of clapton wire? I'm thinking it's a problem with the spool - either a rough spot on the spool itself or the wire was spooled unevenly when they made it
Yes I have. I can see where a bad spool could cause complications, but why then only when as it gets further from the chuck and not the whole length?

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ohh man...not again? Thought u tamed her

Sent from a very cloudy room

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Stupid question..3 actually.
1. Have u tried no insert? Just the one with the hole
2. Are u using the right insert for your core 24,26 and 28 arw included.
3. Are u wrapping a coil thats already wrapped? Look like it in vid

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yes I have. I can see where a bad spool could cause complications, but why then only when as it gets further from the chuck and not the whole length?

I can actually see your spool hanging up every once in a while

Tried any masking tape on the bottom to reduce friction?

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How big is that spool? I'm using a 1000ft... get an occasional hang up up but once i play with tension.. I'm good

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Stupid question..3 actually.
1. Have u tried no insert? Just the one with the hole
2. Are u using the right insert for your core 24,26 and 28 arw included.
3. Are u wrapping a coil thats already wrapped? Look like it in vid

I thought so too. But alas the difficulties continue. I'm sure it's user error and I wish I knew what the error or errors were.

1. No I have not. Isn't the purpose of the insert to keep cores from bunching up? If I do it with no insert how do I keep the cores from bunching?
2. Yes. Cores are 28g and I'm using the correct insert. Even put on my glasses to be certain.
3. No just bare core wires.

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I thought so too. But alas the difficulties continue. I'm sure it's user error and I wish I knew what the error or errors were.

1. No I have not. Isn't the purpose of the insert to keep cores from bunching up? If I do it with no insert how do I keep the cores from bunching?
2. Yes. Cores are 28g and I'm using the correct insert. Even put on my glasses to be certain.
Try the insert that has the small hole...im away so dont have my deadulus.there an insert that just has a small hole...ive done 3 core in it...told u..those inserts cause more problems then ease sometimes

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Here i used the brass thingy with no insert

Papachaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I need to make some claptons. Give me a little bit to get it all set up and video it then I’ll post it and you can see how I do mine. It may help or may not.

Carpe Nidor

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
No I have not but I will try that also..once I obtain some.

Also, have you flipped the spool over?

Trying to cover all possible bases, troubleshooting can be a long process

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also, have you flipped the spool over?

Trying to cover all possible bases, troubleshooting can be a long process

Yes I have and I've tried 5 different spools of different gauge wires. Nothing is working. I know I'm a novice but I'm starting to think it's somehow defective. Just tried without the insert and the cores just bunched and it backed up from the start. I expect some learning curve but this is pathetic...nothing seems to make a difference. I'm so frustrated. Thanks for trying. I'm just not capable of making my own coils.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yes I have and I've tried 5 different spools of different gauge wires. Nothing is working. I know I'm a novice but I'm starting to think it's somehow defective. Just tried without the insert and the cores just bunched and it backed up from the start. I expect some learning curve but this is pathetic...nothing seems to make a difference. I'm so frustrated. Thanks for trying. I'm just not capable of making my own coils.

Maybe it is defective, but without being able to look it over...well, maybe you can get a replacement for free?

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wish I knew what I was doing wrong. This is a tool thats supposed to make the making of clapton coils easier correct? It's supposed to be somewhat idiot proof Right? Maybe I'm the idiot that is too stupid to make it work. FUCK!

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I wish I knew what I was doing wrong. This is a tool thats supposed to make the making of clapton coils easier correct? It's supposed to be somewhat idiot proof Right? Maybe I'm the idiot that is too stupid to make it work. FUCK!

It is definitely the device, not you. The spool seems to be hanging up for a moment when the wrap starts to back up on itself
...just dont know what it's hanging up on, got to be the spring or the surface of the spool holder

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry folks. I know I'm whining like a 3 year old little bitch. I'm incredibly frustrated.

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Where you buy?

Papachaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Ok. I got the videos done. I don’t have a YouTube account so I’m going to try to post the links to my one drive account. If that doesn’t work then I’ll make a YouTube account and put them there. So here goes. Three links to three videos.
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AtTSd1Fe_spflTdc6zOt38Xi73Bz

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AtTSd1Fe_spflTnge7m2cgST-QqG

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AtTSd1Fe_spflTi6ri5ussXZd7Ma

I’m using 2/26g x 36g stainless 316L
I also use the regular guide with the smaller hole. The inserts never worked for me.
Also a pic of the finished product and a pic of a couple of staple coils I made a little while back.
618b38958de32e7648c77a21a0217e7e.jpg
4cb626e068c937c8850edf004c5ec22f.jpg

Carpe Nidor

Papachaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Here i used the brass thingy with no insert

Watching the video a little closer I see what might be a problem. It looks like the end of the wire on that particular spool wraps under the bottom side of the spool. If I’m seeing that correctly then that may be where it’s getting hung up at.

Carpe Nidor

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Watching the video a little closer I see what might be a problem. It looks like the end of the wire on that particular spool wraps under the bottom side of the spool. If I’m seeing that correctly then that may be where it’s getting hung up at.

Carpe Nidor

This one isn’t my video. This one is a successful attempt.

Papachaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
This one isn’t my video. This one is a successful attempt.

Ahh ok. Guess my glasses need glasses. I wasn’t even looking at the wire. I was just watching the spool to see what it was doing.

Carpe Nidor

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok. First I am very grateful for all the effort you all have been putting forth to help me resolve the problems.

Second. I’ve gone back to the beginning. What I’m attempting is a tri or quad core fused Clapton with 28g cores and 38g wraps as this are my favorite coils that I’ve been buying. I’ve been able to get two lengths of wrapped wire suitable for wrapping coils in this specs and I’m happily vaping them. All other attempts with those specs have failed.

Third. I have successfully made a tri core 3/28 x 36 coil.

All successful attempts have been using the insert. Each time I’ve tried anything more than 2 cores without inserts has resulted in bunched cores.

I was just able just able to successfully make one 3/26 x 36g and one 3/26x 38g coil. The 38g wrap was a different spoil of 38g from all of the other attempts. Successful spool was lightning vapes and failed was kidney puncher large spool

I am about to try the 3/26 x 38g using the kidney puncher spool.

If that succeeds I’ll be more suspect of some issue with the 28g insert.

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Carpe Nidor
That was mine..when i made these
Get glasses alice...get glasses
6b5b2290589b4ebe9689e7f3f12577f6.jpg

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So conclusions with the video below is possibly some issue with that spool. I'll get some more 38g wrap wire soon and see if that makes a difference.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FUCK THIS PIECE OF SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!
Honestly I've seen a bunch of people using these devices and for me they're just too much a pain in the ass. Seriously just find some good quality ball bearing fishing spinners and a good variable speed drill. After a few tries you'll be knocking them out in no time. Here's a decent how to video from Grimm Green, for me this was a game changer. Hell I can easily knock out even 32x2/40 without any trouble. Hell I've even done 34x2/44.
Anyway try it out

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Bigfoot

Member For 1 Year
Did you figure it out yet? I just got mine and ran a 22 inch piece with minor problems.
The first thing i notice in your video is the sound of the spring on top of the jig. I had the issue. Its when the spool was made it has those little numbs of plastic find them and remove them. The next thing i did was took a index card and pushed down allowing the stud to punch its own hole. Then i put spring and nut back on and trim the card to the spool. This acts as a washer and if cut slit on edge a place to ankor the will when not in use.
The spot in vid where it messed up after running a nice section is to the jig getting on surface. The jig edges as notice is squared off not the best design but cheap. Take another index card and trace the outline of jig when you cut the card make sure stay quarter of a inch or so bigger than jig outline. Next make relief cuts to almost the line important to leave alittle. This make the edges round acting as a sled. Use tape to connect card to jig. Clean and smooth table if possible. Laid down a line of cornstarch or babypowder adds lubrication between card and table hope this helps

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Did you figure it out yet? I just got mine and ran a 22 inch piece with minor problems.
The first thing i notice in your video is the sound of the spring on top of the jig. I had the issue. Its when the spool was made it has those little numbs of plastic find them and remove them. The next thing i did was took a index card and pushed down allowing the stud to punch its own hole. Then i put spring and nut back on and trim the card to the spool. This acts as a washer and if cut slit on edge a place to ankor the will when not in use.
The spot in vid where it messed up after running a nice section is to the jig getting on surface. The jig edges as notice is squared off not the best design but cheap. Take another index card and trace the outline of jig when you cut the card make sure stay quarter of a inch or so bigger than jig outline. Next make relief cuts to almost the line important to leave alittle. This make the edges round acting as a sled. Use tape to connect card to jig. Clean and smooth table if possible. Laid down a line of cornstarch or babypowder adds lubrication between card and table hope this helps

You're clever as hell. My wife is the same way and I really admire that about her. I've gotten frustrated with my Daedalus as well and I'm going to take on your suggestions. Thanks.

Bigfoot

Member For 1 Year
You're clever as hell. My wife is the same way and I really admire that about her. I've gotten frustrated with my Daedalus as well and I'm going to take on your suggestions. Thanks.
Thanks
I have more ideals about this like go to hobby lobby get the film for cutting your own stencils. You want the slick clear kind not the frosted one.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks
I have more ideals about this like go to hobby lobby get the film for cutting your own stencils. You want the slick clear kind not the frosted one.

Hell no, I won't do it. I'll just tell my wife what needs to be done and she'll do it...she loves this stuff. She couldn't give a shit about the coils though.

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

No I have not and have frankly given up for the time being. I've tried everything I know. Even bought a piece of glass and get the same results so it isn't the surface. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but something could be defective with some part of the unit is defective in some way. I've tried to contact lightning vapes twice but don't ever receive any response. I'm sure I'll try again in the near future after my budget can handle getting a new drill.

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No I have not and have frankly given up for the time being. I've tried everything I know. Even bought a piece of glass and get the same results so it isn't the surface. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but something could be defective with some part of the unit is defective in some way. I've tried to contact lightning vapes twice but don't ever receive any response. I'm sure I'll try again in the near future after my budget can handle getting a new drill.
I made these last night..on my deadulus
44ca2f66b38e72e698f930b356eea3d1.jpg

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I made these last night..on my deadulus
44ca2f66b38e72e698f930b356eea3d1.jpg

Yeah mine won't do that. It doesn't mater the size of the core wire, size of the wrap wire, number of cores (2,3,or 4), with insert or without, or surface. Yeah as has been said it could be the spool but I've tried 6 different spools and even applied a light sanding to the spools. Nothing is working.

Those are nice and I'm jealous.

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah mine won't do that. It doesn't mater the size of the core wire, size of the wrap wire, number of cores (2,3,or 4), with insert or without, or surface. Yeah as has been said it could be the spool but I've tried 6 different spools and even applied a light sanding to the spools. Nothing is working.

Those are nice and I'm jealous.
I use kbee wire..im on a wooden table. Strange... I'm gonna tag sean hanson from lightning next post.. looking for him in my contacts

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use kbee wire..im on a wooden table. Strange... I'm gonna tag sean hanson from lightning next post.. looking for him in my contacts

Thanks, but I won't hold my breath for a response. After all I've sent to emails with nothing.

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Next question. I'm noticing that the chuck on the drill motor is quite wobbly and not running true. Could this be causing the problems?

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Next question. I'm noticing that the chuck on the drill motor is quite wobbly and not running true. Could this be causing the problems?

Id think so..thatll cause your cores to wobble..tighten it...they sell the chuck alone so theres a way...which? Dont know

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Id think so..thatll cause your cores to wobble..tighten it...they sell the chuck alone so theres a way...which? Dont know

Looks like some research into how to tighten it is in order.

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's the spindle with the chuck part removed. I can't find a way to tighten the spindle or adjust it. That seems to be an excess amount of wobble..Way out of true.

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Contacted Lightning Vapes through the live chat on the web site and they are sending a new drill. Hopefully this one will work.

I watched several videos of coils being made with he Daedalus and it was plain to see that the chucks were not wobbling like mine.

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Contacted Lightning Vapes through the live chat on the web site and they are sending a new drill. Hopefully this one will work.

I watched several videos of coils being made with he Daedalus and it was plain to see that the chucks were not wobbling like mine.
Cool...good luck

VU Sponsors