Become a Patron!

Daily Check-In Thread

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well still standing here~! Had to take Mom to the bank and the Pharmacies. I was like a Drill Sargent~! Off with the gloves before entering the vehicle and use hand Sanitizer~! Sitting in the vehicle waiting I was rolling up the windows when people walked by and clouding out the interior with my vape. Kind of a strange morning I have to admit because I am not that crazy when I am alone but I had Mom out because she had to go to the bank herself no matter how much I protested. Have a Nice Day even in Isolation~!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I really do not want to compete with those using EBT's for more than one reason so I will wait for my next trip until that settles down.
thanks for the heads up on that, I had not thought about it.

I am concerned that there will be another mad rush at grocery stores. At this point that will not only contribute to supply scarcity, it will mean yet another spike in the spread of this thing. I wonder if the chains have thought to implement something to mitigate crowd size and proximity. As far as I know, at least in Virginia, there is no set limit as to how many customers can be inside an "essential" business at once. And if you think going at 11 pm will make a difference, well, no. A lot of these places are working short hours, and there is no time that won't be busy.

Also, have the manufacturers of paper products closed their factories? Why is it taking so long for stores to get replenished on damn toilet paper? Now there is none on CVS.com, Walgreens.com, Amazon, Staples, Office Depot, etc.

My husband asked this morning, "when is the Federal government going to step in to get people supplied with toilet paper?" You might laugh, but it ain't gonna be funny if it carries on like this about two more weeks. I'll have to bring my gun into the living room to protect what little TP we have. Folks will be ready to say the hell with food, I gotta use the bathroom.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I wonder if the chains have thought to implement something to mitigate crowd size and proximity.

Stores here are limiting how many people are allowed in the store at one time and must stand 6 feet apart on line to get in. I have to say it appears that they are doing what is necessary.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I figure more toilet paper will be showing up on shelves soon as how much can people stockpile anyway?
Also I do not think that EBT cards cover toilet paper.

I was thinking more like I do not want to compete with people that rely on EBT for food as I am fine for a bit on food.

Been helping out a granddaughter whose husband is out of work due to virus closings. this will be her first EBT month I think. At least I hope she got it in time.

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
When I went grocery shopping Saturday, there was some TP and paper towels, the shelfs were about half full, which is the 1st time in 2 weeks I've seen TP on the shelf, as Crom said, people can only hoard so much TP, so stores here are slowly getting better.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I figure more toilet paper will be showing up on shelves soon as how much can people stockpile anyway?
Also I do not think that EBT cards cover toilet paper.

I was thinking more like I do not want to compete with people that rely on EBT for food as I am fine for a bit on food.

Been helping out a granddaughter whose husband is out of work due to virus closings. this will be her first EBT month I think. At least I hope she got it in time.

My son and one of my daughters get EBT benefits also. I'm not expressing prejudice. I'm talking about numbers. I don't know about the areas others live in, but around here, there is a swarm of people at the grocery store around the first of the month, even without all these additional factors.

And yes, the toilet paper statement/question was a separate issue, not related to EBT. I realize EBT doesn't buy non-food items.

I hope your granddaughter is squared away and can get what she needs.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My son and one of my daughters get EBT benefits also. I'm not expressing prejudice. I'm talking about numbers. I don't know about the areas others live in, but around here, there is a swarm of people at the grocery store around the first of the month, even without all these additional factors.

And yes, the toilet paper statement/question was a separate issue, not related to EBT. I realize EBT doesn't buy non-food items.

I hope your granddaughter is squared away and can get what she needs.
Yes there has always been the first of the month crowds. Esp in eastern KY with EBT, miners pension checks, SS, etc happening then.
Again thanks for reminding me about it.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Found this worthwhile (imo) article on CNN.com. I don't really care to hear everyone's opinions about CNN - if you think they're "fake news," then good for you, ignore my post. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything political. But if you'd like a little extra info:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/28/health/coronavirus-symptoms-list-what-to-do-wellness/index.html

Placed one more order with Walmart early this morning, before all of tomorrow's pickup slots were gone. A gentle reminder to all of you that EBT benefits for a whole lot of people will hit their cards on Wednesday, and from the availability I saw this morning at our WM, there might not be much left by then. If you need food, and you can find any, you might want to get it today or tomorrow.

The few people that will read this post won't make a dent in what's available for the EBT recipients, but the EBT crowd could completely annihilate what's available for these few people. Not trying to take anything from them so much as trying to look after this little family of ours. :inlove:

We're hanging in. I'm trying to work at home. Mighty hard to keep my mind on it.

Shoot, I may brave going out today now that you mention it - I was hoping to push it as long as possible, and was thinking Wed. or Thurs. which would be the worst days being the 1st and 2nd

Will wake up more and decide if it will be today or tomorrow - have finally managed to convince Mr J he should not go out in public at all

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Howdy, everyone!

Mellow day here in good ole Cville. Might go out for last minute gardening stuff before our Governor slaps the lock down on us. 2:00 presser today....I’m assuming that’s what’s gonna happen. I’m surprised it hasn’t happened earlier. We finally broke 1000 cases today. Cville only has a few(9-10?) but we all know that there’s a lot more. Like me....I’m fairly certain I had it 3-4 weeks ago, before all the hoopla happened. The symptoms match up.

Mixing soon. That RY Pie is gonna need a bigger bottle, I’m thinking. And I want something peachy. Don’t know what yet, but peaches and cream sounds lovely right now. And something blueberry. And a strawberry cream cheese stuffed croissant. Lol!

Have a great day, VU peeps! Stay safe! Love y’all!:hug:

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Howdy, everyone!

Mellow day here in good ole Cville. Might go out for last minute gardening stuff before our Governor slaps the lock down on us. 2:00 presser today....I’m assuming that’s what’s gonna happen. I’m surprised it hasn’t happened earlier. We finally broke 1000 cases today. Cville only has a few(9-10?) but we all know that there’s a lot more. Like me....I’m fairly certain I had it 3-4 weeks ago, before all the hoopla happened. The symptoms match up.

Mixing soon. That RY Pie is gonna need a bigger bottle, I’m thinking. And I want something peachy. Don’t know what yet, but peaches and cream sounds lovely right now. And something blueberry. And a strawberry cream cheese stuffed croissant. Lol!

If you think back a few months ago, so many people here were sick with flu on VU. I wonder if it wasn’t an early wave of corona.

I’ve heard that there was a very bad flu in NYC in the Fall, and I got really sick after going into the City in mid-November. But this is before corona was a “thing”. But my symptoms matched up too. I didn’t have a thermometer, so I don’t know what my temp was, but I was so sick.

Glad you’re okay, Gypsy. :hug:

Edit: The RY Pie sounds awesome!! Yummy.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Howdy, everyone!

The VA map says 13 cases in C'ville and another 19 in Albemarle County. So far the guy seems to be doing a good job of updating it every day. Here's the link:

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1556211/

Take a good look and see if you see what I do. In the western part of the state? Do you see the cases plotted right along the track of I-81? It's a little uncanny, once you see that. We've distributed Coronavirus via our Interstate highway system. AND, in our particular case, along Hwy 29, too.

I'm seeing all kinds of patterns now. The cases along the southern state line follow the route of Hwy 58. And look at the pattern along I-64 out of Richmond, down through Williamsburg, on to Norfolk and Virginia Beach. ETA: The string of cases along I-64 doesn't end at Richmond. It goes all the way into Albemarle County and Charlottesville.

The wide distribution in the eastern part of the state relates also to I-95.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Howdy, everyone!

Be safe the garden places have been packed here and the governor is gonna shut them down unless they can reduce the crowd,
Lowes, HD, TSC, the windmill place, etc.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The VA map says 13 cases in C'ville and another 19 in Albemarle County. So far the guy seems to be doing a good job of updating it every day. Here's the link:

Take a good look and see if you see what I do. In the western part of the state? Do you see the cases plotted right along the track of I-81? It's a little uncanny, once you see that. We've distributed Coronavirus via our Interstate highway system. AND, in our particular case, along Hwy 29, too.

I'm seeing all kinds of patterns now. The cases along the southern state line follow the route of Hwy 58. And look at the pattern along I-64 out of Richmond, down through Williamsburg, on to Norfolk and Virginia Beach.

The wide distribution in the eastern part of the state relates to I-95.

Yep not only airlines promote the spread of the virus.
Any communities along interstates and major highways are at much higher risk. Esp if along the NE to FL routes.
Of course how it is looking FL will soon be getting really bad as well. That one mega church held services sunday and still said they would not close and people would not get the virus from church but someplace else. idiots.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Yep not only airlines promote the spread of the virus.
Any communities along interstates and major highways are at much higher risk. Esp if along the NE to FL routes.
Of course how it is looking FL will soon be getting really bad as well. That one mega church held services sunday and still said they would not close and people would not get the virus from church but someplace else. idiots.

I’m sure people believed that (about churches) during the Black Plague, as well.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well.....our governors “suggestion” is now officially an “order”. But nothing has changed except that gathering in groups of more than 10 is now a misdemeanor and could have fines. Literally nothing else has changed.

I’m not sure how that helps anything?

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Well.....our governors “suggestion” is now officially an “order”. But nothing has changed except that gathering in groups of more than 10 is now a misdemeanor and could have fines. Literally nothing else has changed.

Maybe people were going visiting?

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

Seems to me "gatherings" of 10 spread the virus about half an hour slower than gatherings of 50, etc :facepalm:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

Well, did you catch the part where he was talking about the beaches being PACKED last weekend? God almighty, what has to happen for people to realize they need to STAY THE FUCK AT HOME? That's so ridiculous I couldn't believe my own ears!

The difference now is that law enforcement has the option to act if people disobey the order, up to arrest and detention, because when a person disobeys a direct instruction from a law enforcement officer, it becomes a violation of its own accord. Disorderly conduct, if I'm not mistaken, for which a person can be arrested.

The FDA has approved the 15-minute test, fwiw.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

I'm seeing all kinds of patterns now. The cases along the southern state line follow the route of Hwy 58. And look at the pattern along I-64 out of Richmond, down through Williamsburg, on to Norfolk and Virginia Beach. ETA: The string of cases along I-64 doesn't end at Richmond. It goes all the way into Albemarle County and Charlottesville.

The wide distribution in the eastern part of the state relates also to I-95.
Agreed. It was definitely very obvious a couple of weeks ago. It literally was only along the I95/64 corridor. You had mentioned it then. Now it seems to have spread right along all the major highways.

Ugh......

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well, did you catch the part where he was talking about the beaches being PACKED last weekend? God almighty, what has to happen for people to realize they need to STAY THE FUCK AT HOME? That's so ridiculous I couldn't believe my own ears!

The difference now is that law enforcement has the option to act if people disobey the order, up to arrest and detention, because when a person disobeys a direct instruction from a law enforcement officer, it becomes a violation of its own accord. Disorderly conduct, if I'm not mistaken, for which a person can be arrested.

The FDA has approved the 15-minute test, fwiw.
I did catch that part. So frustrating.

America was founded on individual freedom. I get that. But for once.....just for f***ing once, could we put aside the its-all-about-me-and-my -freedom thing and do something that might actually benefit the whole country? I get it....we don’t want to become like China or Russia or Cuba. We want to keep our relative freedom and ability to do/move/ say whatever, wherever and whenever. But this is serious and different. And it’s temporary. The longer we keep doing whatever we want, the longer and more deadly this will become. And I’m happy to see all of you here doing what needs to be done. Stay the f*** home.

Not partisan or political. Just reality. Rant over. Sigh......I’m just so frustrated

ChainVapeS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Healthy and moving around the house.
Started cleaning my kitchen today.
Going to paint all walls and trim. Today I cleaned, caulked all trim, repaired all wall and trim damage. Tomorrow I will sand it all, and begin painting.
3 coats of acrylic enamel in white going on all trim.
2 coats of an acrylic latex going on the walls.
Here are the pictures of how it looks currently.
And a pic of the color that's going on the walls. Screenshot_20200330-153623_Chrome.jpg 20200330_122939_60.jpg 20200330_122820_60.jpg 20200330_122814_60.jpg

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
had to go mow a friend of the wife's yard. Got volunteered years ago...
So since NADA reminded me of the first of the month rush. Went ahead and went to wally world since I had to drive past it anyway.
Best stocked I have seen in a while and they actually had toilet paper. Did not get any as I do not need it and not my brand/type anyway.
May have to give into butt desperation in a month or so and get something else though :)
Even saw bleach and some lysol wipes!.
Was looking for some 91% alcohol for vape cleaning but no alcohol of any type.
Next scheduled trip out 1 week from today.

Doing well and the wife too. very nice day here.

ChainVapeS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Boy I could cook up a storm with all that open counter space~! Bet it is full of toaster and other appliances like Air Fryers like here though when not in painting mode~! LOL
Yeah, it's loaded up when not painting lol.
Wife has a toaster oven, toaster, air fryer, insta pot, numerous crock pots.... all that with a double oven and microwave. She loves to cook.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I did catch that part. So frustrating.

America was founded on individual freedom. I get that. But for once.....just for f***ing once, could we put aside the its-all-about-me-and-my -freedom thing and do something that might actually benefit the whole country? I get it....we don’t want to become like China or Russia or Cuba. We want to keep our relative freedom and ability to do/move/ say whatever, wherever and whenever. But this is serious and different. And it’s temporary. The longer we keep doing whatever we want, the longer and more deadly this will become. And I’m happy to see all of you here doing what needs to be done. Stay the f*** home.

Not partisan or political. Just reality. Rant over. Sigh......I’m just so frustrated

The ironic thing is these people with their freedom to go here, there and everywhere, will end up possibly having everybody else’s freedoms curtailed by their irresponsibility!!

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Check check. NC is officially on lock down. Saw about a million people out. Go figure. Some me time in the beat lab and all I can hear is the kids playing basketball. Not that I have a beat lab anymore. Lol. I'm gonna go join them. Stay safe

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Monday check in. Everything pretty much the same here but I don't get out to see the carnage goings on out there. I hope @Smigo and his wife are doin alright and don't have the virus. Hope everybody stays healthy and isolates themselves from the idiots that are spreading this crap.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Monday check in. Everything pretty much the same here but I don't get out to see the carnage goings on out there. I hope @Smigo and his wife are doin alright and don't have the virus. Hope everybody stays healthy and isolates themselves from the idiots that are spreading this crap.
Hi Jimi, thanks yes we are ok, nothings got worse, same mild cold symptoms. Its a shame that to stay away from others just doesn't get through to some isn't it.
I don't what's wrong with the minds of many people these days. I think at times though many have a distorted idea that the freedom and liberty we have in many of our western countries equals freedom to offend, take, hurt, and do whatever they want, whenever they want.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
My Amazon order finally shipped and apparently does include toilet paper. I was charged for the full amount of the order, so I'm assuming that means that nothing was out of stock. Also contained paper towels, some baby wipes, and a huge box of pancake mix. Don't ask me, it seemed like a good idea at the time. :teehee: I was distressed.

@Smigo good to hear that you and wife are holding steady. I hope you both will feel all better very soon.

The very important thing that a lot of people fail to realize (or remember) is that, when a society has a lot of personal freedom, it also must bear the responsibility of using that freedom wisely. The responsibility part has been all but forgotten, it seems.

Last edited:

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good morning everyone!

Today was a rather early morning for me... wife is up and painting herself ready for work...

California: Gov. Newsom has basically begged for retired health professionals to come out of retirement... Student Nurses are being fast tracked (good and bad, not debating that) and he is utilizing the billions in federal aid to repurpose Stadiums for the "Projected" Infected rush that will be late May and Early June.

These stadiums are in all metros state wide, and include current venues of NCAA and older abandoned NFL stadiums...

Scary times ahead... truly.

Daily calls to be made in the next few hours... make sure the family is doing well.

Be safe VU

Anibird

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Checking in. I'm getting sick with something. I don't think it's the carona virus. Probably just a bad cold but I'm miserable. My poor throat is raw from coughing. Anyone that prays please pray I get over this soon. I'm tired of this already. I'm also a whiney baby when I'm sick lol :cry:

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Ok so I'm going to nominate a theoretical discussion for today, feel free to participate, because it's on my mind and I feel some urgency about it.

What is required, what are the factors to think about, if we have to change our mindsets to look at this thing in terms of months and not weeks?

A week ago this past Friday, March 20, was the last day I was in the office. During the course of that day I decided that I was going to start working from home, that I wasn't really going to ask permission so much as I was going to say that I felt unsafe traveling and exposing myself to other people, being that I am immunocompromised and generally not very healthy. At that point in time I didn't define the duration of that change to myself or them, specifically, but if I'd been pressed to give an answer to "how long," I'd have said maybe three to four weeks.

I think it's now clear that three to four weeks isn't going to be it. But I'll be damned if I can see what "it" could reasonably be.

Anyone who feels bold enough to discuss "it," let's hear your thoughts. We need to get our minds at least pointed in the right direction.

You can argue with me about what I'm about to say, but I'm not a big believer in avoiding conflict and challenge. If you hide, it will wait on you. I'd rather confront and fight it than hide and just end up putting it off for later.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Checking in. I'm getting sick with something. I don't think it's the corena virus. Probably just a bad cold but I'm miserable. My poor throat is raw from coughing. Anyone that prays please pray I get over this soon. I'm tired of this already. I'm also a whiney baby when I'm sick lol :cry:

@Anibird I hope you feel better soon hun. I'm a whiny baby too, when I'm sick.

Maybe some warm tea for your throat? Warm works so much better for me than cold. Just no ibuprofen, please, just in case.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How long? Varies by where you are. Places like NYC, the current hot spots around the nation and the like will peak and decline within 2 months maybe. However they will not be the only peaks, we will have peaks all around thew country that peak later as the virus continues to spread.
Me? I expect this thing to go on into the summer at least.
And after an area peaks expect another lesser peak as restriction are eased for that area.
That is how the Spanish Flu did.

These cases will be fewer in number though as the herd immunity effect kicks in.
This thing is not really over until we get a vaccine and it is in widespread use.

I really hope I am wrong but this will very likely be known as the year of the Corona Virus.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just hope this is the only year known as the Year of the Corona Virus.

Oh I expect it to hang around just like all virus do and pop up from time to time here and there even after it has mainly run it's course.
A few reasons for that.
1. Anti vaxxers.
2. Not every one every where will get any vaccine.
3. Viral mutations into strains that the future current vaccine will not prevent. Just like flu does.

Note:
Some researchers think that this virus has been around for a while but in a less dangerous strain.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Howdy, everyone!

Checked on a sister who lives in VA yesterday. And yep stay at home order in place.
She is fine so far and going to have Kroger deliver her groceries.
Need to call another sister who lives in VA this evening and check on her and her family even though the other sister in VA yesterday told me she and her family were doing fine.

A good time to keep in touch will all family members.

Myself wife and wiener dog and cats are still doing fine, just hiding

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Checking in. Hubby went to wally's early this am, wanted to avoid the first of the month craziness. Only about 30 people there at 6am. He found everything but bleach! I still have a little, but I use it a lot. He is very protective of me, so he strips off inside the door and starts the washing machine. Wipes down his shoes, then washes his hands and face. He does use a mask and gloves when out. He is for sure a keeper! Staying inside now until he has to pick up prescriptions.
Please stay safe and healthy :hug:

VU Sponsors